Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not paying tax? Help

Options
  • 06-11-2015 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of help please. I work part time at weekends and attend
    college during the week..like most students im fairly broke all of the time
    and with Christmas coming up I decided to get an extra job answering phones
    in my local Chinese..I've only been there a week working one day a week (usually
    weekend). They asked me to do an extra shift this week as one of the main bosses
    (and best English spoken person!) has had to go back to China for 3 weeks.

The money is 50 euro a night with free food. I normally work from 4-11.30
    or sometimes 5-12 it depends on how busy the place is. Anyway, today when I came
    to do the extra shift the Chinese man told me that the tax man had been around yesterday
    and was very angry and threatening fines for not paying taxes etc. There is me and 2 other people and a driver that don't pay taxes because we aren't set up in the system. I'm really worried I'm going to be in trouble with the revenue but I only just started the job so how do I know how to set up tax payment? And the only person that speaks proper english has gone for 3 weeks!

Apparently the taxman took photos of our numbers and names on the calendar with our hours. I'm only 19 and honestly have no idea what to do- I've paid taxes for the last 3 years in my other job . Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Both you and your employer are culpable here.

Did they ask for anything (your employer) such as your PPS number and a P45 or cert of tax credits when you started?

At the rate of earnings you are at, you are probably not liable for any tax tbh, however your employer may be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stheno wrote: »
    Both you and your employer are culpable here.

Did they ask for anything (your employer) such as your PPS number and a P45 or cert of tax credits when you started?

At the rate of earnings you are at, you are probably not liable for any tax tbh, however your employer may be in trouble.

Hi,
    No I was asked for absolutely nothing I was told
    straight out it was 50 and given the money at the end of the
    night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Why are you working below the minimum wage? €50/7.5 hours = 6.67 per hour.

I imagine revenue were annoyed with the owner, because if he is paying the workers with cash. He is under declaring the whole business to pay for your wages, pocket some for himself etc. There is no VAT or PRSI being paid on this. He may be brought to court for this. TBH I imagine he is paying everyone under the minimum wage. I would expect the drivers to sub contractors IMO

Advertisement