Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Aughavanngh/Glenmalure/Dublin in winter

Options
  • 06-11-2015 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Will have to drive from near Aughavannagh to Dublin via Glenmalure quite a bit this winter -any advice re route road conditions what to expect etc many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't envy you! If there's any snow or ice, the road between Aughavannagh and Glenmalure, and onward from there over Shay Elliot to Laragh is pretty hilly and can get quite treacherous. I've personally slid into a ditch on the descent from Shay Elliot, and it wasn't fun. In fact, to be honest that section of road isn't great, even in summer, so it doesn't take much to make it difficult.

From the Drumgoff crossroads at Glenmnalure there's an alternative, slightly lower level route to Rathdrum, from where you can either opt to head to Laragh and then via Roundwood to join the N11 at Kilmacanogue, or take the slightly easier but longer option to head towards Glenealy and then Rathnew to join the N11.

Your only other option would be to head west, which is relatively flat through Rathdangan to join the N81 at Baltinglass, but the N81 isn't the greatest either in bad weather.

Of course, if the winter is as mild as as it has been in recent years then there's no problem, although it's not a journey I'd be wanting to make on a regular basis if I could avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

It's very seldom that road is impassable. It's Wicklow not Tibet. On the very occasion it is by all means head towards Rathdrum/Rathnew/M11 which is a lot shorter than the other route suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's still a pretty crappy road south of the Drumgoff crossroads, and while it might not be impassable, wintry conditions would make it much less pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Misty May

Another suggestion is stick to the main roads in bad conditions, go through Aughrim, Ballinaclash, Rathdrum , Glenealy, Rathnew and up the N11. A longer road but in icy conditions safer. Arrive alive as they say and good luck. There is always the fire and a stay at home day if the weather gets ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

+1 for Rathdrum , Glenealy, Rathnew and up the N11.

There's more flat/straight sections to allow other cars to pass, or pass others -whichever suits your needs.

Also most of these roads are on the Lee side of the prevailing weather, which means less overall trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement