Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American woman attacked

Options
  • 05-11-2015 11:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

In the Irish daily mail today, a american woman was attacked and beaten by two men, resulting in serious injuries.
    Have never heard the likes of this before in Galway,a unprovoked assault on the woman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Daily Fail you mean? A link would be useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

She was allegedly assaulted by 2 men according to that rag. Metinks there is more to the story than just her Facebook effort to eke money out of people to get a facelift. Why don't she just sue the blokes that she maintains gave her the injuries???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seems very odd this was never picked up by any of the local papers which usually carry all similar stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Seems very odd this was never picked up by any of the local papers which usually carry all similar stories.

Yeah its odd alright, maybe the local media did not report it because she was a american and did not want to tarnish tourism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Have never heard the likes of this before in Galway,a unprovoked assault on the woman.

A friend of mine in college was kicked in the face on shop street in an unprovoked attack. Tore open her cheek with his shoe and fecked off. I think you underestimate the random violence that can happen anywhere. My friend's story didn't make the papers either, but luckily she could afford the hosptial visit and the stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wow, that is ****ed up. Hope she makes a full recovery and the Gs get the bastards that did this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

She's a friend of mine, but I hadn't seen her in a while, and I hadn't heard about this happening until just the other day. Absolutely disgraceful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Not to take away from the seriousness of the incident, nor from the sympathy I feel for her story.
    Yeah its odd alright, maybe the local media did not report it because she was a american and did not want to tarnish tourism.

She's been in the country 16 years, I don't see how this could affect tourism nor why it shouldn't have been given the same treatment by the press as the lady mentioned by Das Kitty.

I hope they get the blaggards responsible and make them live to regret it, it boils my blood to think about street assaults like this, it could be any of our sisters, mothers, daughters...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's total rubbish to be honest. Galway's media isn't controlled by some all seeing eye of Sauron that controls what's published across the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's a little odd that the story is pitched with an emphasis on her being American. She's been in Galway for 16 years. I hope she gets some security and confidence again. Unprovoked attacks do happen.

Out of interest. Why would the surgery cost 20k? Would she not be covered?

That's total rubbish to be honest. Galway's media isn't controlled by some all seeing eye of Sauron that controls what's published across the county.

A guy attacked 5 women in Galway a few years ago in broad daylight. It never made the papers. It just so happened to be during Race Week...

Wompa1 wrote: »
    A guy attacked 5 women in Galway a few years ago in broad daylight. It never made the papers. It just so happened to be during Race Week...

It would never have made the papers because they weren't aware of it. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's a little odd that the story is pitched with an emphasis on her being American. She's been in Galway for 16 years. I hope she gets some security and confidence again. Unprovoked attacks do happen.

Out of interest. Why would the surgery cost 20k? Would she not be covered?

The article doesn't seem to go overboard about her nationality, although the fact she's been here so long certainly makes it less relevant in my opinion.

If you read it she says the surgery didn't met her expectations so most likely she was uninsured and is looking to go private to get a better job done?

Shame all the same and I would agree with other posters this type of thing goes on all the time and doesn't get reported nor result in an arrest nearly as often as we would hope. Not to say Galway suffers from a disproportionate level or crime compared to our contemporaries.

I think the strangest part has been completely overlooked.

It says August. Was a fair while ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Really?

What about Manuela?

What about the woman who was raped on Bohermore by the son of the former county mayor?

Short memories, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think the strangest part has been completely overlooked.

It says August. Was a fair while ago now.

Why is that strange? She was initially treated and would have needed a few months for swelling to go down before it was possible to assess the long term impact of her injuries or the success of the surgery. I'm sure it takes a little time to rally yourself into creating a public funding campaign too.

They sound like dreadful injuries, that's a really shocking story. I hope she'll find the confidence and support not to let her life here be totally ruined by it.

It would never have made the papers because they weren't aware of it. It's that simple.

They were told on the day it happened. Don't know about this incident...though, it's odd. Usually they would put out a request for witnesses. In both cases, they did not

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Its gone to the dogs.

They were told on the day it happened. Don't know about this incident...though, it's odd. Usually they would put out a request for witnesses. In both cases, they did not

Media can only go by what the Gardai tell them - someone just telling them something happened isn't enough. It needs to be verified reliably. Maybe it wasn't reported to Gardai, and if it was, perhaps nothing came of that. Assaults happen all the time and don't get reported, and ergo don't make news either because no-one knows they happened in the first place. Sometimes Gardai aren't willing to give out information for various reasons even if assaults are reported. Loads of reasons. But some ulterior motive by a County overlord who decides what gets brushed under the carpet in the media is definitely not one of them.

• Advertisement

Media can only go by what the Gardai tell them - someone just telling them something happened isn't enough. It needs to be verified reliably. Maybe it wasn't reported to Gardai, and if it was, perhaps nothing came of that. Assaults happen all the time and don't get reported, and ergo don't make news either because no-one knows they happened in the first place. Sometimes Gardai aren't willing to give out information for various reasons even if assaults are reported. Loads of reasons. But some ulterior motive by a County overlord who decides what gets brushed under the carpet in the media is definitely not one of them.

Exactly. All the incidents were reported to the Gardai. The Gardai were not forthcoming with information. The first assault took place in the morning. The last was in the later afternoon. Nothing was reported. But it wasn't reporting during or after

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Exactly. All the incidents were reported ....Nothing was reported. But it wasn't reporting during or after

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Manuela Riedos family may disagree.

What?

Ha, Sorry! Was multi-tasking. All of the incidents were reported to the Gardai. But the Gardai opted not to share. All while the guy was still attacking. They were searching for him. The only reason I could think they wouldn't report to warn others would be if they wanted to catch him in the act. But in the end they got him at home from witness accounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

That's very sad. Annd very unusual for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Slightly off topic but there has been some changes around Galway. The busking scene, one of Galway's hallmarks has become quite violent recently, some buskers think they own Shop Street and are preventing others from busking the same pitch even when they themselves are not busking. There was an incident at the start of October involving two buskers, where punches were exchanged and a guitar smashed up. Have never heard of this carry on in Galway before.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Its a bit unnerving to me that someone was attacked and most people think that the most important thing to do is try and discredit the story somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

That's very sad. Annd very unusual for Galway

Not really. I lived in Galway for a number of years and was punched by a random knacker one night. I know plenty of others who've been attacked too. Galway is fairly safe but not as nice some would like too think.

Slightly off topic but there has been some changes around Galway. The busking scene, one of Galway's hallmarks has become quite violent recently, some buskers think they own Shop Street and are preventing others from busking the same pitch even when they themselves are not busking. There was an incident at the start of October involving two buskers, where punches were exchanged and a guitar smashed up. Have never heard of this carry on in Galway before.

Wow, never heard of that carry on before. They were always pretty respectful of each other. Times must be tight.
    Old Jakey wrote: »
    Not really. I lived in Galway for a number of years and was punched by a random knacker one night. I know plenty of others who've been attacked too. Galway is fairly safe but not as nice some would like too think.

It is safe but I was randomly punched twice. You're really best off not being alone in any city late at night, I think. Only punched twice but threatened more than that but little scumbags....remember there was a story about a bunch of young lads that attacked somebody unprovoked in the little park down by Fr Griffin Road...

I've had water balloons thrown at me. Young lads get in my face while I was walking home. Punched on two separate occasions, once in the stomach, once in the face. There's been other stories of random assaults. There was one a couple of years ago that some guy was attacked by guys driving by that stopped, got out of the car and just beat him up for the fun of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 noelogara

Asmodean wrote: »
    Its a bit unnerving to me that someone was attacked and most people think that the most important thing to do is try and discredit the story somehow.

thats a pretty common reaction. People dont want to believe such things happen and try to diminish them.
    Their natural reaction is to disbelieve and the sad reality is that most people dont care about assaults or crime so long as its not their family that was affected.

The media report in the main on the proceedings of court rooms because that is official and many times seriously flawed but they only report the official court verdict and what the judge says is great copy to sell advertising space on the back of a few juicy stories from the courts.
    If an assault takes place its mostly reported to the gardai and only when it gets to court is there any report about it. Even then the papers have to tread carefully not to speculate or risk contempt of court and jail if they dont follow procedure.
    The best example is the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 case in the UK. They spent 16 years in jail and the police all knew that they were innocent of the crimes and they even told them that. But the judicial process and the courts are never wrong or pretend that even when they are off the wall.
    Think of the Kerry babies when the gardai suggested Joanna Hayes got pregnant with twins by two different men rather than admit they screwed up and charged her with murder of another woman's baby. They charged her with murder when they found a body on a beach and later after court process she revealed where her own baby was buried so two different dna profiles emerged. They never admit they screwed up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement