Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron age quern stone and wooden centrepin

Options
  • 05-11-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi folks. For three years I have had an iron age quern stone in my possession. I discovered it on a broad expanse of beach here in the West of Ireland in the Summer of 2012. What sets it apart is that it still contained the wooden centre pin which was perfectly preserved. I knew nothing about what I was seeing so I dug it all out and carried the thing back to the car (1/2 mile walk). The following Monday I made an inquiry about it at our heritage museum. Apart from the fact I got a telling off for removing it from its original site, they were kind enough to study it all further, hence my reference to it being iron age above. The national museum said they would take it that year, but I never heard back since. So here it sits, complete, and is a work of art to be honest, I think to see a pin preserved is pretty incredible considering the era. My question is, what do I do with it? Is there a market for these in such good shape? Collectors? What to do ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Any chance of a picture? Why not give the National Museum a ring - they will at least be able to put you in the picture as regards the legality of offering it for sale. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Any chance of a picture? Why not give the National Museum a ring - they will at least be able to put you in the picture as regards the legality of offering it for sale. :)

Indeed a picture is right to put up. I contacted the National Museum this year and as before, they had great interest in it, or at least a person there did, the results were furnished and they sent me some paperwork describing what I had and a little about the era. That was it, no call since. So it sits here. That's it, sat on my deck with the wooden pin and phone for size comparison. It's got sand all over it and engrained, but that was from it being buried on the beach head. It has since been washed clean by the rain, the wooden pin lives in the freezer compartment of my fridge in a sandwich bag. They told me to do that.

stone_a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Assuming that it's legal for you to sell it, you could try contacting Whyte's Auctioneers in Dublin as they occasionally include similar items in their Collectors' sales - usually a couple of times a year.

Whyte’s Fine Art & Collectibles Auctioneers & Valuers
    38 Molesworth Street, Dublin .2.
    Tel: (01) 676 2888 Fax: (01) 676 2880
    iw@whytes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Assuming that it's legal for you to sell it, you could try contacting Whyte's Auctioneers in Dublin as they occasionally include similar items in their Collectors' sales - usually a couple of times a year.

Whyte’s Fine Art & Collectibles Auctioneers & Valuers
    38 Molesworth Street, Dublin .2.
    Tel: (01) 676 2888 Fax: (01) 676 2880
    iw@whytes.ie

Thank-you very much for that information, food for thought at the very least.

Advertisement