Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Computer for Oculus DK2

Options
  • 05-11-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    i am currently doing my masters in college and am going using the oculus dk2 as part of my project so i need to build a custom pc that will be able to run it. i am trying to be cheap enough as possible as havent much money to spend on it. Never built a pc before so any help on parts would be really appreciated. I dont need to worry about future proofing the pc as i only need it for the oculus for less than two years and then i will be done with it.
    Dont need a monitor or hard drive as i can get them from the college and i can put my own operating system on it.
    Im hoping to get it as far below €1000 as possible but if you know a build that is a bit over it please let me know also as i may be able to fork out the extra money on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Q: What are the minimum requirements and recommended specifications for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Minimum requirements: A desktop computer running Windows 7 or Windows 8, 2 USB 2.0 ports (at least one powered), and a dedicated graphics card Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series (or better) with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output.

Recommended specifications: In addition to the minimum spec it is recommended that your dedicated graphics card be capable of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher.

Probably looking at
    i3 4170 CPU
    nVidia GTX960
    H87 Motherboard
    8gb DDR3 RAM 1600MHz
    450W PSU

That'd be grand for the DK2.
    The retail will require a more beefy PC with i5 4460 and GTX970 as minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Darby_321

i wont be looking at the retail one as the college only has the DK2 so i will have to just be using this(dont think they will go and buy me a new oculus :( ) thanks for the feedback though, i will make up some different options for them, budget pc, middle spec pc and then the high end and see which one they will get for me

http://www.octopusrift.com/building-a-vr-pc/

I was looking at the build that they have on this page also, what do ye think of that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's pretty much bog standard for the Occulus Retail

will it manage to get 75 fps or higher on the oculus? because as long as i can get that i will be happy so the users wont get dizzy or disorientated from using the oculus

• Advertisement

Also for the graphics card would 2GB be enough or would you be going for the 4GB ones?

4gb VRAM. VR requires a lot of textures which the extra VRAM helps with.

Would a 390/390X not be a better call then, especially the 390X

Yup, but it comes down to what he can stretch his budget to. Also, the demos and stuff for the DK2 aren't as intensive as some of the launch titles for the retail Rift, so he can get away with something less.

ok this is what i have put together, havent bought the parts yet so if there is anything that i should change please let me know soon. Also my supervisor has said that if he can get the new oculus when it is released he will so i need to make sure this will be capable of running it too. I know it says i should have GTX 970s but will the 960s do?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F7BQ4D

• Advertisement

It's fine yeah. You may get a 290 or 390 for cheaper than the 970

I don't think the 960 will be enough. A 380 may be better with the extra vram

Drop the overclocking capability. Not needed for this project, and will drop the cost by about 50-100euro. Get the i5-4590 and a H87 board. The GTX970 or R9 390 is recommended for retail oculus rift.

Ok guys this is what i ended up going for:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZQq7Vn

I managed to get the 970s :) all in all it came to about €950 excluding delivery. Thanks for yer help

Advertisement