Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "Úd" the right word to describe a try in rugby?

Options
  • 05-11-2015 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm no gaeilgeoir but...

When watching rugby on tg4 I noticed that the word "Úd" is used to describe a try. I was curious if it's a direct translation of "attempt" or if meaning had been changed a bit in translation? And if so why?

There wouldn't really be anything wrong with it either way, I'm just curious about the route taken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It is the word that is used, I don't think it has anything to do with "attempt", but I could be wrong.

I've no idea what the origin of the word is. The only other usage I know is to mean "that *** over there" or "that *** we were talking about"
    an duine úd
    an tír úd

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Try
    The term try comes from try at goal, signifying that originally, grounding the ball only gave the opportunity to try to score with a kick at goal
    Might help guide the translation somewhat, anything that's a translation of "try" or "attempt" would relevant.

Úd seems appropriate enough. "Iarracht" could be used too I suppose, but I suspect the length makes "úd" a preferable translation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

deirdremf wrote: »
    I've no idea what the origin of the word is. The only other usage I know is to mean "that *** over there" or "that *** we were talking about"

All those asterisks make it all sound very rude! :D

But yes, it is used like that (in a similar way to "siúd", as far as I understand it)

To answer the OP's question, the only Irish word I've ever heard of for "attempt" or "effort" is iarracht. What's the origin of the English use of "try" for a rugby score?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

An File wrote: »
    To answer the OP's question, the only Irish word I've ever heard of for "attempt" or "effort" is iarracht. What's the origin of the English use of "try" for a rugby score?

Thanks for shedding some light on this, "try" is in indeed used in the sense of "attempt".
    In a much earlier version of the game the only way of scoring was what we now call a conversion. Ie. You got no penalties or drop-goals, you didn't get points for a try but when you got one you were allowed a "try" at kicking it over the bar to "convert" your "try" into a score.

Anyway, thanks all the answers. I always though Úd sounded strange, but I know there's lots of Irish I don't know (ie. most of it...).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

FWIW, French and Spanish both use the literal translation of the noun 'try'.
    In Afrikaans, rather confusingly the word for 'three' is used for a try, presumably dating back to when a try was worth three points and penalties less.

No idea where úd comes from or if it's an abbreviation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement