Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for light laptop, mainly for text based work

Options
  • 05-11-2015 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am in the market for a laptop that I will mainly be using for text based work and browsing, nothing too taxing. I will be taking the SSD from my current laptop and possibly the 8gb of RAM if needed.

I will possibly be travelling a bit with it so the lighter the better. And something quite would be an added bonus, my current laptop is like a jet engine when its running anything.

I really have no idea what price point to be looking at. Can I go the cheaper option if I swap in my SSD and RAM? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I find that a lot of the price is less about RAM and hard drive, but more about quality and feel. So I'm not too sure you're going to be able to drop your budget too far. Having the SSD is a plus, but you'll need to make sure what ever machine you're looking at, has a standard SATA connection for its disk. And for the RAM a lot of ultra portable machines these days have the RAM soldered to the board, meaning it is not user replaceable at all. Worth noting.

Advertisement