Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBB 1911s: quick question

Options
  • 05-11-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

If you don't want to carry a GBB 1911 cocked and locked after racking the slide, what are the options?

There's a BB in the chamber, and you can drop the mag and manually decock/pull the trigger, but does that BB need to be cleared?

If you were to rack the slide again, it will double feed. But will it shoot the original BB if you were to drop the mag, decock it, reinsert the mag, and manually cock the hammer before pulling the trigger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭dubhlinn55

just cock the hammer with ur mag inserted and it will fire the bb.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭T.C.

The answer is yes; with a BB in the chamber and the hammer down and the mag inserted, when you cock the hammer and pull the trigger it will release the gas and fire the existing BB.

The load of a new BB doesn't occur until the slide goes forward again and in any closed bolt design (such as a semi-auto M1911 airsoft pistol) gas is released first, BB fired and then a new round is loaded as the slide reciprocates.

Or.. what Dubhlinn said... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Is it possible/likely then that if the uncocked hammer got a bit of a knock, the gun might accidentally discharge?

not on an airsoft pistol it wud more than likely break b4 discharging on an airsoft its the trigger pull to discharge but that said always always treat even airsoft guns as a weapon safety first always when not in use remove the mag bbs all out that way no tention is left on the mag spring safety on and b4 engaging safety be sure ur barrell is clear by looking down the rear of the barrell not the front. Hope this helps you mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭T.C.

unlikely, I'd say. In an airsoft 1911 the valve knocker needs a fair bit of strength to hit the valve hard enough to release gas. So a little movement of the hammer either way probably isn't going to do it. Besides they're not directly connected, like in the real deal with a firing pin.

Of course, with the hammer down, you can't apply the safety on a 1911, real or airsoft. Which means the main risk is snagging the hammer on something which might pull it back far enough to set it off. e.g. drawing against clothing, catching the hammer and having it drop down again before you're ready to fire. I believe this kind of accidental discharge is one of the reasons why the "condition 1" method of carry (cocked and safety on) for 1911s became so popular. But if you will insist on bucking the trends etc etc... :D

Interestingly (well, I find it interesting anyway :-) ) the Detonics, which you can tell from the slope on back end of the slide and the shape of the hammer, was designed to be carried hammer down, and the draw action was supposed to include cocking the hammer. However this was designed in the 70s by some very, very experienced gun nuts who thoroughly believed in the "only safety you need is your own trigger finger" philosophy (They also removed the grip safety, a feature requested by the US Army on the M1911 to prevent accidental discharge from dropping. ) The current "cocked and locked" philosophy is more designed to allow for the fact that SH1T happens, no matter how safe your trigger finger might be. I always carry my Detonics in condition 1 during games, and then empty and vent after, as indicated by Dubhlinn. He's right about checking the barrel too: I've killed more pieces of living room furniture by forgetting to check that than any other airsoft mishap...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Thanks a million, lads!

Glad we cud help mate keep ur sights level ;)

Advertisement