Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best android phone for up to €200?

Options
  • 04-11-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I want to buy a Christmas present of a phone for somebody who is only familiar with android phones (Samsungs), and changing OS wouldn't be a great move, so Apple and Windows phones are out (prohibitive cost of Apple phones ready to go had already excluded that option anyway!)

It needs to be either Vodafone or unlocked. I have up to 200 euro to spend and would like suggestions of good options in this price range. I'd definitely consider Asian imports if anybody can vouch for reliability of websites/products. Also I guess delivery time is a factor at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭d.lally2

Just the thread I was looking for as I'm in a similar situation. I haven't done massive research yet but one that jumped out for me was the Meizu m2 note that expansys have for €199.99 plus around €9 postage. I have only bought accessories from them before so can't vouch for how they are to deal with if you have to return it faulty, I'm sure someone here can help!

It's a 5.5" full HD screen, octa core mediatek processor, 2gb ram and a 3100mAh battery so decent spec for the money and gets good reviews online. Cant post link yet but here's close enough expansys.ie/meizu-m2-note-white-279470/

Seeing as you can use Vodafone the Vodafone smart ultra 6 might be as good of choice as anything though. Looking forward to seeing what others suggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. I've had it for a couple of months now and find it great. My previous 2 phones were the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Moto G 2nd generation and the Ultra 6 is light years ahead of both of these. If you visit the threads on it you'll see some people aren't happy with it and I suspect if you are willing to spend €600+ (be that upfront or over the lifetime of a 2 year contract) then one of the latest flagship phones (Samsung S6 or iPhone6s) will probably be better. But not €400+ better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

touts wrote: »
    Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. I've had it for a couple of months now and find it great. My previous 2 phones were the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Moto G 2nd generation and the Ultra 6 is light years ahead of both of these. If you visit the threads on it you'll see some people aren't happy with it and I suspect if you are willing to spend €600+ (be that upfront or over the lifetime of a 2 year contract) then one of the latest flagship phones (Samsung S6 or iPhone6s) will probably be better. But not €400+ better.
    I second this. I've had I phone 3and 4 and blackberry's and a android phone and I got this smart ultra 6 after hearing great reviews and I have to say its fab . if I had one complaint it be size . its a small bit big but for price and what you get its a bargain .

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

Thanks guys, seems a decent phone for 170eur, appreciate the suggestion. I've looked further into it and it's getting great reviews "for the price"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I would throw in a shout for the Moto G 3rd Gen if you want a bit of a smaller screen than the smart ultra. The basic version is about €170 or so, but there's a higher spec version with double the ram and storage for around €230 on amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

The 'Moto E 2nd Gen LTE version' is quite good (the non-LTE version has a processor deemed not fantastic) ... hovering about e140 on Amazon.de and Amazon.es

PROs
    - Minimal bloatware
    - Decent processor (SN410)

CONs
    - Like all budget/mid-range phones ... 8gb internal storage is very small (the OS takes up about half)
    - Apparently the OS won't get upgraded from L to M.

Advertisement