Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WordPress - Can it be used passively

Options
  • 04-11-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure how to phrase this question as I don't know WordPress. I have never used it before in my life. I have Blacknight hosting and WordPress is one of the available applications. I attempted to install it but the only options I have in terms of customisations are minor layout chages to a theme of my choice.

I'm developing a website for my Uncle for his business. I have the homepage more-or-less done but the next section they are looking for is a gallery of their work. My thinking behind this would be a blog-style layout where they can update it with "Here is a job we completed recently.." and include photos. Obviously I don't want to be doing this manually so I figured some wordpress style CMS would be the easiest option.

I'm doing all of my development so far in Brackets using Bootstrap CSS. So I guess my question boils down to:

Can I create the HTML and CSS myself, but implement WordPress in such a way that the site is easily updateable with new photos. Are there any options outside of WordPress for something like this, or similar.

Apologies for being a total n00b :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Talisman

How far out of your comfort zone are you willing to venture?

WordPress is written in PHP. In order to use your own design with it you will need to create a WordPress template which will require some knowledge of PHP.

There are a number of tutorials online which go through the basics of creating your own template, e.g. Create Your Own WordPress Theme from an HTML Template

Once a template is in place the website should be easy to manage. You'll have to keep the WordPress installation and any plugins up to date to prevent the website from being hacked. Of the PHP based web platforms it's the most popular and easiest to use which also makes it a target for hackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I suggest installing WordPress manually, instead of using the Application Vault (or whatever it is called). It will be easier to manage this way as you can do updates of WordPress as soon as they are released and not have to wait for the Control Panel vendor to issue the update.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I suggest installing WordPress manually, instead of using the Application Vault (or whatever it is called). It will be easier to manage this way as you can do updates of WordPress as soon as they are released and not have to wait for the Control Panel vendor to issue the update.

Agreed. I used the installation through Blacknight, but found it was just easier to install WordPress manually on my Blacknight hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Talisman wrote: »
    How far out of your comfort zone are you willing to venture?

WordPress is written in PHP. In order to use your own design with it you will need to create a WordPress template which will require some knowledge of PHP.

There are a number of tutorials online which go through the basics of creating your own template, e.g. Create Your Own WordPress Theme from an HTML Template

Once a template is in place the website should be easy to manage. You'll have to keep the WordPress installation and any plugins up to date to prevent the website from being hacked. Of the PHP based web platforms it's the most popular and easiest to use which also makes it a target for hackers.

I'm fine working with PHP, no issues there.

How would I install WordPress myself - I don't have root access to the host do I? News to me if I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you have ftp access you can transfer the files, then it's a case of setting the correct permissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Talisman wrote: »
    If you have ftp access you can transfer the files, then it's a case of setting the correct permissions.
    Then create a database in the control panel (note the db name, user name, password and db server) and go to your domain and it will bring you through the short install process.

Advertisement