Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I get a Computer Science degree?

Options
  • 04-11-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Basically I done LCA in school. I've decided I'd like to get a degree in Computer Science, preferably in IT Blanchardstown; the NFQ level is 6.

How can I pursue this? I have little to no knowledge of FETAC/NFQ levels, etc.
    Considering I have no Leaving Cert I wouldn't be able to jump right into the course and I'd have to get my Level 5?
    If anyone can give me some advice or info I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

masti123 wrote: »
    Basically I done LCA in school. I've decided I'd like to get a degree in Computer Science, preferably in IT Blanchardstown; the NFQ level is 6.

How can I pursue this? I have little to no knowledge of FETAC/NFQ levels, etc.
    Considering I have no Leaving Cert I wouldn't be able to jump right into the course and I'd have to get my Level 5?
    If anyone can give me some advice or info I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

When you say you did LCA, but then you say you've no Leaving Cert, dco you mean you don't have the traditional Leaving, or you didn't finish the LCA? If you have the LCA, you have a Leaving Cert :D

If you didn't finish the LCA, and you're under 23, you'd have a problem getting into most FE colleges, though

I can't give you direct advice; different FE colleges have different links with certain colleges. And of course it depends where you live or where you want to go to college. There certainly are ways to get into third level by doing a level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

katydid wrote: »
    When you say you did LCA, but then you say you've no Leaving Cert, dco you mean you don't have the traditional Leaving, or you didn't finish the LCA? If you have the LCA, you have a Leaving Cert :D

Aha, I see your confusion; I've finished LCA but it's from my understanding most colleges don't accept students with an LCA, just students who completed the normal Leaving Cert which leaves me in a spot of bother
    and you're under 23, you'd have a problem getting into most FE colleges, though
    I'm 18. Why is that though?
    I can't give you direct advice; different FE colleges have different links with certain colleges. And of course it depends where you live or where you want to go to college. There certainly are ways to get into third level by doing a level 5.
    I might be best off heading down to the citizens information office and see what they have to say
    Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

masti123 wrote: »
    Aha, I see your confusion; I've finished LCA but it's from my understanding most colleges don't accept students with an LCA, just students who completed the normal Leaving Cert which leaves me in a spot of bother

I'm 18. Why is that though?

I might be best off heading down to the citizens information office and see what they have to say
    Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated :)

Just saying, don't sell yourself short by saying you don't have the LC. You have. Just not the traditional one.

If you have the LCA, you can apply to any FE college to do a course. If you have NO Leaving Cert at all, they probably wouldn't take you until you were a mature student, over 23. But that doesn't apply to you.There might be a few courses where they would look for the traditional LC (I know they prefer it for nursing studies in some colleges, for example), but most will be delighted to welcome you. LCA students are just what FE colleges want - you have developed good study skills and are used to working to deadlines and doing projects.

You would probably need to do just one year in a FE college before qualifying for third level. You would need to get a certain level of grades in your course.

Why don't you look at the websites of FE colleges you might like to attend and see what they offer? Maybe contact them and ask to speak to someone. They would give you the best advice. And if you want to apply for a course for next September, get in there early. The first round of applications usually start in February.

Advertisement