Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

susi grant help?

Options
  • 04-11-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi all
    my son who is 18 completed his leaving cert in june and is now doing a one year plc course in our local town. he applied for a susi grant in early september and he is in queue E on the online system. what am i wondering from anyone who may have been in a similar position is , is he definitely entitled to something? however small it may be? last year i was unemployed from jan till sept and started a part time job in mid sept , my husband was working all last year but no huge wages there. my son reckons he is entitled to something ( i know susi don't cover fees etc for plc courses) but i don't want him to be disappointed if it comes back as not eligible? i have read over the limits etc online but can't really make head nor tail of it? i have also done the online eligibility reckoner and all it says is may be entitled to something .
    any help greatly appreciated....... stressed mom

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kazmcdonald

If its any consideration they have weekly payment dates from now until Christmas in order for students to be paid as quickly as possible once a decision has been made.

I had an application in from June which required no documents to be submitted and it still took them two months to decide, I requested an internal review which took another 6 weeks and then another which took 5 weeks. They did note on the website that priority would be given to application who applied before the closing date so you might have a bit of a wait.

For what you said it sounds like you are possibly 45k or less from the college which would qualify for the adjacent rate. It depends on the income of the household and how many children. If you google PLC Income Threshold Tables and Grant Award Rates you will get a table up for PLC and you should be able to look for your total reckonable income under the approx. heading for the amount of children you have and you should get an idea of what he might be entitled to. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maj206

thank you for the reply, the only reason he applied so late was cos it was a last minute decision to even do the plc course , yes he is less than 45k from the college and there are no other children in our family, he's an only child. i will look up the rates as u suggested and see what i can take from that.
    thanks again

Advertisement