Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vw t4 conversion

Options
  • 04-11-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie but I would like a bit help please. I'm thinking of converting a vw t4, putting side windows and rear seats in it. Done a lot of searching to get all the info I need but can't seem to find the answers to my questions at the moment. I'm not sure yet what way to do it but 2x windows in the sides, 3x seats in the back, might go full width rock n roll bed?? I'm looking at a 1.9, a 2.4 will be stretching my budget as this will have to be taxed privately. My questions are:
    What will vrt people change/base it on? shouldn't be a velle as vrt on this is in the clouds, plus it will only have 6x seats in it.
    Can/will it go as an mpv?? I don't want it as a crew cab I don't want the bulk head in it.
    Has anyone done this?? what sort of vrt did you have to pay and what was the vehicle based on??
    If this is going to be expensive to do then I will give a 2.4 velle some hard thought. In a nut shell all I want/need is a bloody big estate car to move 2x big dogs, 3x med kids and the Mrs, (your imagination where I put her, only messing, before I get nailed). Hard to get 1.9 velle here. I don't want to cook in it either but sleep in it if I want too. I plan to put a diy sleeping area within the van but not full camper the van will be main vehicle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Pistnbroke wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie but I would like a bit help please. I'm thinking of converting a vw t4, putting side windows and rear seats in it. Done a lot of searching to get all the info I need but can't seem to find the answers to my questions at the moment. I'm not sure yet what way to do it but 2x windows in the sides, 3x seats in the back, might go full width rock n roll bed?? I'm looking at a 1.9, a 2.4 will be stretching my budget as this will have to be taxed privately. My questions are:
    What will vrt people change/base it on? shouldn't be a velle as vrt on this is in the clouds, plus it will only have 6x seats in it.
    Can/will it go as an mpv?? I don't want it as a crew cab I don't want the bulk head in it.
    Has anyone done this?? what sort of vrt did you have to pay and what was the vehicle based on??
    If this is going to be expensive to do then I will give a 2.4 velle some hard thought. In a nut shell all I want/need is a bloody big estate car to move 2x big dogs, 3x med kids and the Mrs, (your imagination where I put her, only messing, before I get nailed). Hard to get 1.9 velle here. I don't want to cook in it either but sleep in it if I want too. I plan to put a diy sleeping area within the van but not full camper the van will be main vehicle.

The vrt is based on the 13.3% of the estimated 'open market selling price' which they arrive at by unknown means. Your best strategy is start compiling similar vans for sale to support your application so they don't overprice you to begin with. Caravelles are all swb theres not a lot more room than something like a galaxy in terms of use as a big estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pistnbroke

Hi, I understand what you're saying about the 13.3% I'm just having a hard time understanding what they will base the conversion on. Will they base it on a velle or a crew cab when it won't be either. I tried to base it on a vw Sharan like the one I have just to try and get a figure came out at 690 euro based on 2001, 1.9 tdi. I know it won't based on a 7 seater but I don't want to do all the work and find out it's going cost me what a velle would, 1,568 euro, vrt on a 99, 1.9td from England.

You would be able to appeal the vrt on that velle 99s aren't going anywhere neat that money on the open market. Its probably cheaper and easier to put a good 1.9 passat, vento, golf engine into a cheap 2.4 velle thats done the headgasket than convert a van especially if you can get source the manifolds / ancilliaries from a 1.9.

Yeah, I've being doing all the sums and looking at the hassle and I might just change my mind. You might think I'm cracked but I have a vw 1.9 sharan 00, she's not worth a whole lot but it could get a make over if you understand me. nct is out soon, something to think about, I have seen a caddy turned into a camper and i would have thought they're narrower than the sharan. Thanks for the advice/help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There are lots of post of this forum similar to yours, use the search, you need to meet the rules for it to be classed as a camper and then you qualify for the 13% VRT after that you need to get it past the insurance company. None of it is easy and campers aren't cheap, there of lots of pit falls so do your research and before you do anything check with an insurance company.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=884&query=conversion

• Advertisement

yes, I have done a lot of research on it but an actual camper wasn't what I was really looking for. My idea about my sharan wasn't a bad one after all. Put in google, vw sharan camper and found whole load of ideas. I'm not as cracked as people thought it has been and is being done. So while I have one, pour the money back into it. It'll cut all the vrt and hassle out as it won't be a camper or conversion. Will work out cheaper as well. You're probably the kick up the ass I needed. Me & Mrs can sleep in car, kids can have a tent, dogs can go under the car. Roll on next summer. I think I've just convinced myself to do it.

Pistnbroke wrote: »
    yes, I have done a lot of research on it but an actual camper wasn't what I was really looking for. My idea about my sharan wasn't a bad one after all. Put in google, vw sharan camper and found whole load of ideas. I'm not as cracked as people thought it has been and is being done. So while I have one, pour the money back into it. It'll cut all the vrt and hassle out as it won't be a camper or conversion. Will work out cheaper as well. You're probably the kick up the ass I needed. Me & Mrs can sleep in car, kids can have a tent, dogs can go under the car. Roll on next summer. I think I've just convinced myself to do it.

My brother used his galaxy like that last summer, if you have small kids you can make or buy cab bunks that fit across the doors see below: and there are some very clever driveaway awnings that can go on the back.

hammocktest2.jpg

http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/sunncamp-silhouette-motor-2015/

Advertisement