Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish EV owners row- whats all that about

Options
  • 04-11-2015 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

oh dear me, just when we need a co-ordinated approach , what all this infighting with the IEVOA and a very similar named IEVO (.eu) groups.

we seem to be carrying on the noble irish tradition of " The first thing on the agenda is the split "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

I always preferred the "Judean Peoples Front" myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I always preferred the "Judean Peoples Front" myself...

watching their antics, it seems a bit like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

What those acronyms stand for? Do those groups have webpages?

I can only find one crew; www.irishevowners.ie.

Who's the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

There are two Facebook groups:

Irish EV Owners (the original) and
    Irish EV Owners Association

There seems to be bad blood between the chair of the association and a number of long-time EV drivers and members of the original group on Facebook. I don't know the ins and outs but it's all very confusing and bordering on the ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭homer911

One of the groups seems to be charging for membership

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

homer911 wrote: »
    One of the groups seems to be charging for membership

Yeah one charges €10 a year for membership I believe.

I haven't a clue about the history, I only bought an EV in June and joined the EV Owners group after being told about it by another driver.

Only later realised that there were 2 groups and some history!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah one charges €10 a year for membership I believe.

I haven't a clue about the history, I only bought an EV in June and joined the EV Owners group after being told about it by another driver.

Only later realised that there were 2 groups and some history!

Same for me.

I haven't a notion about the other group - can't find anything about them online either... Doubt I'm missing a whole lot though :D

there seems to be THREE facebook pages, IEVO IEVOA and IEVO.eu

the paid memership page has 118 members, the unpaid one 600+

all seems nuts

BoatMad wrote: »
    the paid memership page has 118 members, the unpaid one 600+

The paid membership association has about 40 members. Not all those who post on it's facebook group are paid members as I understand it.

If I understand it that is... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Does anyone know why they are in disagreement? Were they product of split or just two organizations started organically?

Allegedly because of a power struggle within the original group leading to a split.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭homer911

These people need to get a life!:cool:

The impression I get is that a good few people on Facebook have issues with one of the main players in the association. I can see the need for an association and I'd be happy to join, but life is too short to deal with big egos playing politics.

Matt Cooper on Today FM will be discussing the issue in a few minutes.

Members of (both) EV owners groups will be on, and also apparently a response from ESB ecars.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Allegedly because of a power struggle within the original group leading to a split.

well it is ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

I have no idea what the split is about, but I had a look at the admins on the sites and an infamous name came up from the past, My personal experience with this individual leaves me in no doubt as to why there are problems/splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If its true that EV owners will now have to pay a monthly charge to have the ability to use public charging, then I would say it will do major damage to potential sales.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If its true that EV owners will now have to pay a monthly charge to have the ability to use public charging, then I would say it will do major damage to potential sales.

It does seem to be true. And it will undoubtedly affect sales.

A bad move imho.

I heard the guys on the Last Word. I appreciate where the ESB ECars guy was coming from, they need money to invest and improve, but with only 1700 EVs in Ireland, I think the move is far too early.

If even they get 100% uptake on the new standing charge, thats €29,000 per month or less than €350,000 annually. Is it enough to make a real difference compred to the damage it will do to sales?

I would have no issue with paying for electric at the going rate as the guy from the owners group is arguing, but to have to pay €200 annually just to have the right to use public chargers is crazy and will do a lot of harm.

Perhaps if they made the cars exempt from road tax it might ease the pain?

• Advertisement

Precisely. Cash grab now is a quick fix that will stifle growth completely.

However if they wait, within 4-5 years most people will have moved on to cars with 150-200 mile range and the public system won't be needed much.

Maybe they see now as the only time to make anything out of it?

I would have been seriously considering an EV the next time I change, maybe next summer.

I have to admit that this news is not welcome. As the guy said from the owners group, paying for this and paying over and above the standard rate for each unit of electricity on public chargers, narrows the savings between EVs and really economical diesels.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would have been seriously considering an EV the next time I change, maybe next summer.

I have to admit that this news is not welcome. As the guy said from the owners group, paying for this and paying over and above the standard rate for each unit of electricity on public chargers, narrows the savings between EVs and really economical diesels.

It's definitely not welcome. I do most of my charging at home but would have to spend €17 a month for the occasional longer journey plus 30c per minute. I'm actually one of the lucky ones, I know a guy who purchased a Leaf and can't get a charger as he lives in an apartment.

I love electric vehicles, they are the future, but you need to give people a real incentive to take the leap and live with the shortcomings of current generation vehicles in relation to taking longer journeys.

Jesus, there's plenty of pages on the ESB charges, why here too ?

Jesus, there's plenty of pages on the ESB charges, why here too ?

It's starting to look like you're on the payroll mad lad :p

It's starting to look like you're on the payroll mad lad :p

I wish. :D

Yeah, lets keep the "charging for charging" topic where it belongs; ESB Public charging plans.

Referring to this thread, and reiterating that I have no inside knowledge of, or connections with either EV Owners groups, my interpretation, formed mainly from an apparently anonymous letter (seen on FB) printed & left for a member of the apparent "breakaway" group presumably from a member of the "original" group, is that information shared among the paid membership of original group was subsequently apparently shared with non-members (or individuals who hadn't paid membership). This could be one reason for the split, or maybe not.

Apologies if that's bit difficult to read/understand (loads of "apparentlies" in there ;)), but I wish to be careful not to state anything as fact as I don't have any facts. I'll see if I can locate a link to the FB post I've referred to & edit this post later.

Yeah, lets keep the "charging for charging" topic where it belongs; ESB Public charging plans.

Referring to this thread, and reiterating that I have no inside knowledge of, or connections with either EV Owners groups, my interpretation, formed mainly from an apparently anonymous letter (seen on FB) printed & left for a member of the apparent "breakaway" group presumably from a member of the "original" group, is that information shared among the paid membership of original group was subsequently apparently shared with non-members (or individuals who hadn't paid membership). This could be one reason for the split, or maybe not.

Apologies if that's bit difficult to read/understand (loads of "apparentlies" in there ;)), but I wish to be careful not to state anything as fact as I don't have any facts. I'll see if I can locate a link to the FB post I've referred to & edit this post later.

Care to share the said information?

Care to share the said information?

Given membership of that FB page is moderated, I'd rather not be passing anything on lest I create any hassle. I'm happier to just give my opinion. Here's a link to the location of the FB page anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Whoever wrote it can't spell very well.

Advertisement