Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What phone to get?

Options
  • 04-11-2015 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new phone, currently I have the oneplusone 64gb but I'm looking for a change.

I was looking at the LG G4 but its a bit expensive, I'm looking to spend €300-€350 at a push, preferably something around the €300 mark though.

Looking for something that has a decent sized screen, good front/back cameras, decent video/sound recording and is fast. I would like a decent amount of storage but can get a memory card if needs be, so that's no issue really.

Not sure what to go for really, so would appreciate any suggestions and opinions as I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the different phones I'd looked at.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

One Plus One

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (Unlocked on ebay for around 4 Euro) (Although Im having problems with mine, and a few other "boardsies" too)

Id say spend more and go for a G4

Not a whole lot of great phones for 300-350, if you spent a little extra (just over 400) then you get a much better phone (e.g. OnePlus 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Cheers, thanks for your reply. What about the LG G3?

Having compared them on GSM arena, they seem similar, but the G3 is a bit cheaper given its older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Cheers, thanks for your reply. What about the LG G3?

Having compared them on GSM arena, they seem similar, but the G3 is a bit cheaper given its older.

Looks good. Not sure about battery life though, I know the G4 isn't great so Id imagine the G3 isn't great. That and the fact its an old phone, would put me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ZUK Z1, One Plus One or MotoX

If you do get a LG G4 get the one without the leather back, while it's nice, it's almost impossible to get a case that fits it properly, most of the bumpers will damage the leather.

If you like it without a cover then the leather option is good too.

LG G3 is also decent :)

I went for the ZUK Z1, Couldn't be happier with it, better battery life than the Moto X Play and One Plus One and the USB-C is a nice addition too.

Plus the ZUK Z1 comes with 64GB Storage built in, no farting around with moving stuff to memory card and also you don't have the additional cost of one either.

Thanks everyone.

If the budget was pushed to €500-€550ish, what phones could I possibly get for that?

Been looking around and the Samsung S6 Edge looks decent, but over the budget but maybe after Xmas it might come down a bit in price if they release a newer version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hi Striped Boxers,

WOuld you consider getting the Samsung S6 without the Edge. It similar to the Samsung S6 edge with some minor differences (per the reviews I read online anyway). Argos have it on offer at the moment around €560 mark.

I was going to buy the edge but after reading the reviews I cannot justify paying the extra for the edge. Then I mainly use my phone for internet and photos so the 3gb ram was a big selling point.

Just bear in mind that there is no slot on the phone for a memory card afaik so this may be an issue for you. Also from reading the reviews online the glass is quite delicate on both the Samsung S6 and S6 edge so you will need to invest in a good case.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

If the oneplus one is too big for you you could go for the oneplus X delivered for €294

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭JohnPPP

delta214 wrote: »
    If the oneplus one is too big for you you could go for the oneplus X delivered for €294

How does this compare to say the galaxy s6 I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

iPhone 6S :P

*** I'll get my coat ***

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, yeah could get the S6 without the edge, I quite like the size of the OPO that's not the issue at all.

As for iPhones, not a chance, had one before and didn't like it so won't be getting another one, not a fan of Apple products really.

I bought the Samsung Galaxy S6 over the weekend with out the edge. I'll let you know how I get on. Word of advice though is not to bother with the wireless charger. It seems to decide half way through that the phone is not lined up correctly and stops charging. The case that comes with the charger is suspose to be poor as well. I wouldn't bother with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Miaireland wrote: »
    I bought the Samsung Galaxy S6 over the weekend with out the edge. I'll let you know how I get on. Word of advice though is not to bother with the wireless charger. It seems to decide half way through that the phone is not lined up correctly and stops charging. The case that comes with the charger is suspose to be poor as well. I wouldn't bother with either.

Interesting I found my wireless charger works flawlessly. Using it with the UAG protective case. In any case fast charging is better.

I actually had the edge and returned it and went for the regular. I just found the glass on the edge to be of poor quality...always making crackling noises when cold, and then there was the air bubbles under the screen which many edge customers ended up with. An afteraffect of the crap manufacturing process.

Regular s6 has none of these problems.

Did you end up with a loose / rattly home button though ? A good lot of S6's have this 'feature'

Flaccus wrote: »
    Interesting I found my wireless charger works flawlessly. Using it with the UAG protective case. In any case fast charging is better.

I actually had the edge and returned it and went for the regular. I just found the glass on the edge to be of poor quality...always making crackling noises when cold, and then there was the air bubbles under the screen which many edge customers ended up with. An afteraffect of the crap manufacturing process.

Regular s6 has none of these problems.

Did you end up with a loose / rattly home button though ? A good lot of S6's have this 'feature'

I haven't noticed a problem with the home key but I have only really taken the phone out of the box and fooled a bit around with it. There was a very limited choice of cover where I bought it and I really wanted a folio case so I am waiting for it to arrive before every day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tazman77

Has anyone seen the umi offering from China via Banggood in China for $99. 3g 16g . Half afraid to post anymore after seeing the posting warnings about another Chinese company.

Advertisement