Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenter with interest in unusual wood

Options
  • 03-11-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I want to get a carpenter to advise on choosing a beautiful piece of wood that they can then use for shelving in my living room.
    I assume (maybe wrongly) that some carpenters are more into the practical/functional side of the work and piece they create rather than the artistic or aesthetic side?? Or that some carpenters would have better contacts that could source more unusual woods?
    Can anyone advise how I go about finding such a person?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If the wood is 'beautiful' I presume your are thinking of a hardwood like oak and ash etc. Whoever does the work will need access to a workshop to machine the woods - they are bought 'in the rough'. Have you considered the price ? - a board 12 " wide x 12 foot long x1" thick ( a cubic foot of wood ) will run to at least 50 euro. Do a little calculation of the quantity of the wood required and add 10% for waste.
    Word of mouth is still a good way of engaging someone - or stick up a sign in your local supermarket.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Aesthetically the most beautiful timber in my opinion is Yew. Striking is the word I would use.

2 cents

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd go with kadman, you won't beat that quote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

plus, if you pay in cash, with the new rounding system, it'd be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

mmm...........a bit wasteful for shelves folks :eek: - anyway books etc tend to hide nice wood from view. In practice we are confined to the American hardwoods unless you know a friendly sawmill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

recipio wrote: »
    mmm...........a bit wasteful for shelves folks :eek: - anyway books etc tend to hide nice wood from view. In practice we are confined to the American hardwoods unless you know a friendly sawmill.

Any class timber is going to be wasteful for shelves, if they are going to be
    loaded.

Better on the shelves than the muppet on donedeal that cut up a massive yew tree for firewood, and then tried to sell it. Criminal.

But true enough, if the complete shelf is hidden, then expensive wood there, is wasteful

Advertisement