Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen makeover

Options
  • 03-11-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,
    I'm looking to change my kitchen worktop but I don't want to change the wall tiles, has anyone done this before ? Was it an easy/hard job? Did the wall tiles get damaged when removing work top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Its a very straight forward process.

Make sure the sealant or sometimes grout that touches the wall is broken us a utility knife and keep scoring back and forward until its cut.

unscrew old top from units, if its a big top extra hands will be need to help lift the top up starting from the front of the units and slowly pulling out.

Nice and steady. I did this method a few times and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mulbot

From experience workin in kitchens i find the easiest way to do this is as the above poster said score the sealant but remove kickboards and if the kitchen is on adjustable legs wind them so you are lowering the height of the cabinets,that way the worktop pressure against the tiles will be lessened and reduces greatly the chance of cracking or breaking tiles

• Registered Users Posts: 24 vichoro

I'll have to rope in a few buddies to help out but sounds do - able , hopefully leave tiles intact !! thanks for tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

mulbot wrote: »
    From experience workin in kitchens i find the easiest way to do this is as the above poster said score the sealant but remove kickboards and if the kitchen is on adjustable legs wind them so you are lowering the height of the cabinets,that way the worktop pressure against the tiles will be lessened and reduces greatly the chance of cracking or breaking tiles

If doing above, dont forget to unplumb sinks and gas hobs if theyre embedded in your countertop that you're removing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

It's a torture of a job to be honest. I hate going near that sort of thing. If the tiles are any way boasty they will pop no matter how hard you try, you'll still have to regrout or reseal if you can get away with silicon. And when you think you've all the screws out there will be one tramp stuck in some impossible corner that will manage to cause damage. It can be done but don't underestimate the time it will take and the pure torture of it. As you've probably realised I don't like doing that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement