Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximun hours for working Part-time on BTEA?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

just wondering if anyone know whats the maximum hours/days you can work with the back to education allowance that defines part time? also im doing a PLC course for the year on BTEA and if i start a job part-time now will this affect me getting the BTEA next year if i decide to do a undergraduate college course? really need to earn extra bit to help pay the rent at the moment but if affects me getting the BTEA next year for college i dunno is it worth it...aagghhh hair is almost completely pulled out at this stage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

just wondering if anyone know whats the maximum hours/days you can work with the back to education allowance that defines part time? also im doing a PLC course for the year on BTEA and if i start a job part-time now will this affect me getting the BTEA next year if i decide to do a undergraduate college course? really need to earn extra bit to help pay the rent at the moment but if affects me getting the BTEA next year for college i dunno is it worth it...aagghhh hair is almost completely pulled out at this stage!

I think its a max of 20 hours work allowed. Im not sure but i reckon if you are in receipt of btea now and your circumtances dont significantly change then you will be fine bringing btea forward to undergrad. Not sure about being able to work during the summer though while in receipt of job seekers A/B.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

As it was explained to me by the DSP when I started my current course (academic year 2013/14) part-time work is fine, but with one cavaet - when the new academic year starts you will be means tested on your social welfare position. If you are unemployed then you should keep your full entitlement, but if you are still in even part-time meployment then you will be means tested on it.

For example - I worked part time for Janurary to May and full time unti lthe 28th of August. I then signed back onto the JSA as un-employed and am recieving the full BTEA for this academic year. On the 14th September I started an other part-time job, rang the DSP to inform them of this to be told as long as it was part-time they didnt care as I was unemployed when the academic year started.

As for maxium hours - I dont think they check the hours, your employer just needs to register you with Revenue as part-time I think. But like above the DSP do not seem to care once you are back in academia.

Again different people seem to be given different information, or the same information and interpret it differently, so I would check with the DSP and get them to clarify the exact situation.

Advertisement