Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company want me to install outside anchor?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

An insurance company wants me to install an anchor outside my house for added bike security. I live in a private estate, the footpath were I would occasionally keep my bike when not in my father in laws garage is small and used frequently by other residence, installing an anchor sounds like a pain, anyone else installed one? How did they go about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have one installed for my bike, same one as in the above video.

Of course, you can't put one on a footpath, since a footpath is not your property. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You can also install them into a wall. Probably not as secure (and probably less craic if a particularly motivated <racist term removed> attaches it to a tow bar) but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

I have one installed for my bike, same one as in the above video.

Of course, you can't put one on a footpath, since a footpath is not your property. :eek:[/QUOTE]

That's great, thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carolmary

My solution was to fill a large terracotta pot with concrete and set the ground anchor in that, so there's no permanent damage to the place I'm renting... it would take two to lift the pot, and another two to carry the bike away while it's chained to the the anchor, so hopefully it'll be too much bother

The Mark II version would have some solid lumps of metal in the bottom of the pot to add more weight before pouring the concrete in

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

How about a lamp post outside the house? Arguably better than a ground anchor... They could hardly not accept that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,843 ✭✭✭✭listermint

carolmary wrote: »
    My solution was to fill a large terracotta pot with concrete and set the ground anchor in that, so there's no permanent damage to the place I'm renting... it would take two to lift the pot, and another two to carry the bike away while it's chained to the the anchor, so hopefully it'll be too much bother

The Mark II version would have some solid lumps of metal in the bottom of the pot to add more weight before pouring the concrete in

A lift and a sharp drop would have that cracked open

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

Mark#1 wrote: »
    How about a lamp post outside the house? Arguably better than a ground anchor... They could hardly not accept that?

I told them that I could anchor it to a lamp near my front door and they dismissed it fairly quickly, I thought it would be perfect, better even than an anchor as you say. In the end I told them that it would be mostly kept in my father in laws garage, which is true for the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

listermint wrote: »
    A lift and a sharp drop would have that cracked open

might break the pot that way, but that concrete filling it wont split so easily..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,843 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wossack wrote: »
    might break the pot that way, but that concrete filling it wont split so easily..

Not really,

Depends what the ingredients were

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

listermint wrote: »
    Not really,

Depends what the ingredients were

Tell that to the lump of concrete out my back from a set of swings we pulled out of the ground. I haven't shifted it yet and I've had a year and a half :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Tell that to the lump of concrete out my back from a set of swings we pulled out of the ground. I haven't shifted it yet and I've had a year and a half :-)

I have one from the previous rotary line.. had it 6 years minimum, every time I look at it I think of "Worlds Strongest Man" competition :D

Advertisement