Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to grow Clover indoors in the winter?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if its possible to grow clover indoors on a windowsil during the winter months?

The reason i ask is i bought these little dudes from china recently, and they come with 4 leaf clover seeds and even a peat pellet which expans when you add water to it, to be used as soil!

dpSLIN1.jpg

I've ordered something similar that comes with basil and wild strawberry seeds also, but Im not sure would they have a chance in the winter months.

If not i can wait til spring time to germinate the seeds.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ultimately I think you will find you will have to put clover and wild strawberries outside to get healthy growth. They will grow inside but will very likely be spindly and a bit weak. At very least they will need to be in a window in a cool room. Not sure about basil, I haven't had much luck with it indoors, but it is not hardy so needs a warm summer to make reasonable growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I don't know about clover but I did manage to raise a great basil plant from seeds I had planted indoors in October. The seedlings stayed pretty small over winter but took off in spring, on a south facing window, and was the best crop I've gotten. I am trying the same thing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

I've had clover growing in part of my poly-tunnel over winter and it seems to grow well. Probably gets more light than a windowsill and growing in soil seems to agree with it. There is also some growing outside into the driveway outside the house so clover can be fairly hardy.

Strawberry also seem to be doing well in poly-tunnel, but basil is definitely frost tender. It seems to grow best in warm sunny conditions. The seed might not even start growing if its not warm enough and some people use a heated plant propagator to start seed out of season. I'd say hold off until spring for starting the basil.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭looksee

macraignil wrote: »
    I've had clover growing in part of my poly-tunnel over winter and it seems to grow well. Probably gets more light than a windowsill and growing in soil seems to agree with it. There is also some growing outside into the driveway outside the house so clover can be fairly hardy.

Strawberry also seem to be doing well in poly-tunnel, but basil is definitely frost tender. It seems to grow best in warm sunny conditions. The seed might not even start growing if its not warm enough and some people use a heated plant propagator to start seed out of season. I'd say hold off until spring for starting the basil.
    Good luck!

But that's just the point, not enough light and too warm in the house for clover, it is hardy (very hardy) and will grow straggly and feeble in the house. Alpine strawberry would be the same.

Why is everyone growing clover anyway? Dratted stuff is all over my lawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

I grow it as a green manure to dig in before planting something else. They are legumes so fix nitrogen from the air to fertilise the next crop. The flowers are good for the bees and also look nice before they go to seed. Not much interested in a manicured lawn with absolutely nothing but grass myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

macraignil wrote: »
    I grow it as a green manure to dig in before planting something else. They are legumes so fix nitrogen from the air to fertilise the next crop. The flowers are good for the bees and also look nice before they go to seed. Not much interested in a manicured lawn with absolutely nothing but grass myself.

Agreed- but apparently it is only the red clover that fixes nitrogen, not the white. I would also think that it wold be better growing it outside.

Advertisement