Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why allow apps to hijack the active window?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

I figure people that work in development might have opinions on this. I was just typing something, and an app in OSX announced it had an update and I should install and restart. It cut me off mid-sentence and forced me to deal with it right away, including a bunch of annoying "N/A" type beeps as I accidentally typed the last word into the new active window.

It just made me realise that this has happened about a million times - updates, error announcements, task completions, etc. Why do both Windows and OSX allow a program to hijack what you are currently working on? Is it just something that was done once and no one ever thought to change it? I don't have much experience with Linux or any of that family so I don't know if it is the same there, but why on Earth was it ever considered a good idea?

Surely a non-intrusive notification that I can attend to when I have a moment is far preferable to literally interrupting the user mid-sentence? It's just so mind-blowingly obvious now that I think about it. I'm sure very well paid people have sat around tables countless times trying to work out ways to improve user experience and we still have this odd practice in place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah yes, modal windows. I go insane when this happens. A dialog pops up, and I'm typing something, I press enter for a new line as the modal pops up and I close it instantly not knowing what it was. ARGHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Giblet wrote: »
    Ah yes, modal windows. I go insane when this happens. A dialog pops up, and I'm typing something, I press enter for a new line as the modal pops up and I close it instantly not knowing what it was. ARGHHH!

Any thoughts on why this is so standard???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Zillah wrote: »
    Any thoughts on why this is so standard???

Because they haven't thought of anything better :D

I think a notification panel off to the side that appears above things but doesn't demand focus, or appears in the taskbar would be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Test a linux distro with gnome - there is a nice notification system and system modal widnows are few and far between for things like admin access password.
    I think that win/ios use "the system is important" approach while linux is morle like "the user is important"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Win 8 and 10 migrate many notifications into cards that slide in from the right without taking focus. Just up to devs to start using these more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement