Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No glass bottless in Panda bin?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I am confused with Panda bins rules:

https://www.panda.ie/household/recycling-tips.html

No glass bottles allowed to non of their bins. Not sure what about other glass (empty jars, broken kitchenware, etc.). Do I have to being them all to bring bank - sounds like joke to me!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I guess the intention is to encourage people to recycle. I've seen black bins left behind that have obvious glass in them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It depends on the area, and seemingly it's down to what the local authority wants Panda to collect, presumably based on what facilities they have. I'm in Fingal and they don't allow glass in the green bin here. However my parents are also with Panda, but in Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown and they are permitted to use the green bin for glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Zaph wrote: »
    ....my parents are also with Panda, but in Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown and they are permitted to use the green bin for glass.

Not according to the Panda website they can't. Are you sure they're not with Greenstar? They do allow glass in the green bins in DLR.

Not allowed in the Panda green bin ...

Glass - General refuse - Food waste - Green or Garden waste - Wet waste - Nappies - Polystyrene - Wallpaper - Aeroboard / Styrofoam - Plastic film/bags - Plastic food wrappings

https://www.panda.ie/household/what-can-i-put-in-my-bin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jars should be treated the same as bottles, ie you recycle them.

Household breakages can go into the standard black bin. Just make sure it's well wrapped so it doesn't shred the bin bag or anyone's hands. Some household glassware such as Pyrex or light bulbs aren't recyclable as standard anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It might 'sound like joke' but many of the other bin companies have the same policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You can be sure it is to do with the manual sorting of the rubbish on the conveyor belts in the waste transfer stations. Last thing needed is someone slicing their hand open while dealing with trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Panda do actually allow you to put glass in green bins in some areas. They dont advertise it but in our area they do allow us to do this.

The 'do and dont' leafelt has no mention of glass so we were not sure. I called them today and they confirmed that in our area they do accept glass in the green bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Menas wrote: »
    Panda do actually allow you to put glass in green bins in some areas. They dont advertise it but in our area they do allow us to do this.

The 'do and dont' leafelt has no mention of glass so we were not sure. I called them today and they confirmed that in our area they do accept glass in the green bin!

It would surely make sense to say roughly where you live, otherwise that post is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

coylemj wrote: »
    It would surely make sense to say roughly where you live, otherwise that post is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

No need to be so aggressive!
    My area is dundrum.
    The point is... Give them a call to see if they accept glass in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mahargwa

I put glass in my Dun Laoghaire green bin. . This was permitted and I have not been advised to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

mahargwa wrote: »
    I put glass in my Dun Laoghaire green bin. . This was permitted and I have not been advised to the contrary.

Ditto, Panda D14 have always allowed glass, never been told otherwise, even though on the website it says no glass. Pretty sure the lads emptying the green bin hear the glass clattering into the lorry, i can hear it from inside the house, and if there was an issue i presume I'd have been told by now.

Delighted to read about the climbdown by the gubberment on the proposed paying to recycle they were about to implement. Muppets. I'd have been heading to ballyogan every couple of weeks otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The panda site used to have separate lists for DLR (dun laoghaire rathdown) and Fingal, it explicity said glass could go in DLR green bins but not in Fingal.

This has changed now and it just has 1 list and clearly says no glass with no regions called out.

https://www.panda.ie/household/recycling-tips.html

However I only found this out randomly looking at the site. If it was so important I think they would have made it very clear and posted in leaflets or had it on your bills, green bins are usually more easily checked by workers and they could refuse to lift them.

I have never heard anyone I know in the area who had an issue with glass in the green bin.
    sconhome wrote: »
    You can be sure it is to do with the manual sorting of the rubbish on the conveyor belts in the waste transfer stations. Last thing needed is someone slicing their hand open while dealing with trash.
    you can be even more sure that they were appropriate protective clothing and take it for granted that rubbish will contain "sharps".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Called Panda Dun Laoighaire today and they said glass can go to Green Bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 inanotherer

Called Panda for D14 area today and they said glass bins are coming in the following months!

Advertisement