Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much time to stay at a job?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hey, so question for a friend of a friend *cough* How long would ye consider too short a time to stay at a permanent dev job? What amount of time wouldn't raise flags at a future interview? Myself, I would have always thought 9 months at a minimum (obviously would be different for contractors).

*Now I know people will come in about putting a price on your happiness, the job is grand. It's just... not what I was expecting. I would like to give it a chance though, this question is just one of those things that pops into your head...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

c_man wrote: »
    Hey, so question for a friend of a friend *cough* How long would ye consider too short a time to stay at a permanent dev job? What amount of time wouldn't raise flags at a future interview? Myself, I would have always thought 9 months at a minimum (obviously would be different for contractors).

It's not really one job - it's a succession of short jobs that tend to ring warning bells, and at that there can be varying opinions on the matter. Maybe round off the year, and if the job does not improve then look to move on - there is no point in flogging a dead horse. If the next job is good, stay a bit longer!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I left after a month because I knew I'd learn nothing and the role wasn't a good fit for me. I had no problems getting a job and explained the situation when asked in the interview. There's nothing wrong with it if you have a good reason for it.

As said above, if it happens a few times then you'd be seen as a flight risk and it will work against you.

Definitely don't stick with a job just to meet a perceived minimum time. Unless it's your first job of course as that's different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hey, so question for a friend of a friend *cough* How long would ye consider too short a time to stay at a permanent dev job?
    Depends.

Is it your first job? Have you been in the last three jobs less than a year each? Or your last job more than three years? Or were you unemployed before this job, and if so for how long? Or contracting? Freelancing?

Basically you can move so long as your CV doesn't start looking like you can't hack staying anywhere full-time for very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Depends.

Is it your first job?

Nope, second dev job. Was in the previous one over 4 years and then I got the itch :pac: Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Nope, second dev job. Was in the previous one over 4 years and then I got the itch :pac: Cheers guys.
    You should be grand then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

As per the previous poster, you have nothing to worry about. Personally, I always give a new employer six months, as a permanent employee. At that point, you will have a very good idea whether or not it is going to work for you.

If, as another poster mentioned, you interview for a new job and give a valid reason as to why you left your last job after six months, eg: the technologies I was working with were out of date and I was told that I would be working with the latest technologies when I accepted that job, then I can't see how any interviewer would take issue with that.

I know a very senior technical person who has left their last two jobs, architect level roles, within two months on each occasion. The job did not meet their expectations, so they moved on elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've mixed contract and permanent work on and off over the last number of years - and I had always assumed that the contract work would have been seen for what it was, but recently was told I was ruled out because of "a history of relatively short tenures in recent years". Disappointing they looked on it that way but given that and the tone of the rest of the feedback I think I'm happier not working with those sort of people :D

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

I think job switching is more the norm these days. In out father's generation you had a job for life. With so many opportunities these days for IT contractors, freelance web designers etc, I think smaller stints are probably not abnormal.

A good interviewer or recruiter will always call you on it. I think how you phrase the answer is more important. IE
    "I was bored" Vs " It wasn't challenging and I wanted to pursue more interesting roles" etc

Funny you mentioned the 9 months thing. As an arbitrary figure, I was going to say "9 months" too!

Advertisement