Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to drink, non alcoholic options

Options
  • 02-11-2015 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

I haven't touched a drop in god knows how long. I hardly go out and when i do go out, i avoid pubs, i hate them.

But, its almost Christmas and it maybe unavoidable this year.

What non alcoholic drinks do people drink in pubs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I drink herbal tea or sparkling water with a drop of lime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I usually drink tonic water with lime, or else a coke. The other thing is...I usually drive places when I know there will be drink so I often just say "i'm driving" and the topic is dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

There's normally a non-alcoholic beer in the fridge - most places will have Erdinger or Paulaner non-alcoholic. It's not an amazing drink but it fills up a pint glass and means you won't stand out if you are in company.

On a side note, if you are at home, I recently discovered "Nanny State" in the off licence, a non-alcoholic hoppy beer made by Brew Dog. I really like it, and it's nicer than the above mentioned brands. I drink it all the time at home instead of "real" beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

I almost always order a coke. It's a reflex thing now, because I know they'll have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Paulner n/a is always my first choice if I'm out in the pub. Failing that, Becks blue. I keep a few bottles of Becks in the fridge at home because its so ridiculously cheap in the offie. Coming up to xmas, I always pick up a few bottles of Natureo red wine (don't like the white) to have with the dinner and on new years eve etc. I wish there was a widely available alcohol free stout, it'd be perfect for having beside the fire on a cold evening :(

• Advertisement

I tried the Natureo and had great hopes for it. But it's not nice. It doesn't really taste like wine, more like a fruit drink, so you might as well just drink Ribena or something.

A booze free porter or stout would be great, can't be long now, if Brew Dog have done the hoppy one (which is far and away nicer than Becks or any of the others).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Most of those non-alcoholic beers are alcohol removed so there is a small amount of alcohol in them.
    If I am out I normally stick to water or the odd sprite. Enjoy a few coffees during the day. When I stopped drinking alcohol I drank more fizzy drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Most of those non-alcoholic beers are alcohol removed so there is a small amount of alcohol in them.
    If I am out I normally stick to water or the odd sprite. Enjoy a few coffees during the day. When I stopped drinking alcohol I drank more fizzy drinks.

Bavaria have a 0% beer out that is nice. A 6 pack of bottles is only a fiver. There is another 0% alcholhol beer out there , red label, foreign beer, cant remember the name of it

I'm satisfied that .5% of alcohol fulfills my requirements for non-alcoholic beer. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Yeah the Bavaria 0% is probably the nicest one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A pint of blackcurrent cordial with ice when i'm out.

Maybe the odd coke or sparkling water with lime if having a meal.

For me, the NA beers negate too many of the benefits of not drinking.

If I need to blend in i'll have one but otherwise much happier with a pint of juice :)

Swanner wrote: »
    For me, the NA beers negate too many of the benefits of not drinking.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

How so?

I've only had the .5%. I wasn't aware there was a 0% option until this thread.

A few small things add up for me. Obviously these don't necessarily affect anyone else.

Calories - While being lighter then the standard versions, most NA beers still pack a good few more calories then say a cordial or a water with lime. Not a big deal but they add up over a night.

Cost - One of the biggest benefits I found to giving up alcohol was the cost of a night out. Kills me to pay a similar price for an (in my opinion) inferior beer when a cordial does the job nicely.

Wheat - I try and avoid it as much as possible. When drinking I was happy enough to down it for the alcohol but on removing beer from my diet the health improvements were immediate and significant. Obviously alcohol was a factor in that but so was the wheat.

Broken sleep - I don't sleep well after a few na beers. I also find myself needing the jacks during the night almost as often as I did when drinking normal beer.

So nothing major on its own merit but enough to make it something I only have the odd time.

That said, I do like the Erdinger and it's a great way to blend in when out with people you don't know too well.

Advertisement