Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new laptop advice please?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone my old laptop has finally given up the ghost and I really need some advice on what the best laptop on the market for my needs would be:

My budget is between 500 and 700, ideally about 600 if I can help it but I'll go higher if needs be. I use the laptop mostly for general browsing (Facebook YouTube boards etc) plus downloading the latest tv shows, id say an average of about four shows or movies downloaded a week so a light enough user.

Mobility isn't that important as I'll only ever be using it in my room maybe the odd time downstairs. High enough storage would be desirable as I regularly back up my iPhone and store hundreds of photos. Also I use Office 2013 a lot do that's important.

I know this is s silly question but I'm not massively technical so is there a list somewhere of all the updates I would have to install like Java Adobe iTunes etc it's been years since I started a laptop from scratch!

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your needs are basic, so any machine will really do you.

Asus are a reputable brand, and you should aim for a machine with an Intel core i3 or i5, 6GB+ of RAM and as large a hard drive as you can get if you need storage. Most 500€ machines will give this spec. It might be worth popping into a shop and looking around at what they have to get a feel for what size you want.

As for installing things, don't worry about it. Install them as you need them is what I'd say. Install your preferred browser if you don't want to use the browser supplied with the computer and just begin using it. You might find you don't need half those applications you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

some laptops ( refurbs) on groupon

https://www.groupon.ie/browse/cork?lat=51.9&lng=-8.475&address=Munster&query=laptop&locale=en_IE

any advice on a good one for light home use.

HP Probook 6460b Core i5 for 249 ?
    Dell Latitude E4310 Laptop 13.3” Intel Core i5 for 269
    Refurbished Dell 620/630 Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz - 2.2G for 150 ?

Advertisement