Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this and how do I not kill him

Options
  • 02-11-2015 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hey

So - I was given a plant as I've been going on about wanting one since my last - much loved - one died after several years. I've had him for a few days, and I'm already a bit perplexed. So - you knowledgeable people might be able to help!
    1. What is he? He's from a local store - not a plant shop. There was no identifying tag there.
    2. Is he half dead already? When I got him, the soil was extremely damp, and it doesn't seem to have gotten much drier.
    3. What does he want? I left him on the windowsill for the first few days. But I've put him on the table today as the windows are close to the radiators, and it may be too hot. However, now, his leaves have all pointed straight upwards. I've tried Googling this, but it's all about weed plants for some reason - I don't think this is one of them.

I'd quite like to give this guy a chance, so any advice is much appreciated!

21ak8i9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a Maranta, I think its a Prayer Plant, in that the leaves open and close throughout the day, but I am not absolutely sure that all Marantas do that. It should not be wet, allow the compost to dry out and keep it in a light but not direct sunlit spot. Otherwise they are pretty tough, unless you drown it it will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I wouldn't put it in the window either if it'll be behind the curtain at night as I don't think they like the cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Thanks guys

His leaves have been opening and closing a fair bit. This morning (even on the table), the leaves were much more open. Whereas now he seems to be attempting some very difficult yoga pose with two pointing straight up, and another two practically wrapped around each other. So he's still alive anyway I guess.

The soil isn't drying out much at all. It was dripping when I got him (suppose four days ago now), and it is still extremely wet. I suppose I'd need to get new soil and re-pot him if he is submerged like this? I left him on the window sill during the day only. During the weekdays, the window is closed, so he's only getting light through the glass - but it wouldn't be cold at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you think the plant is too soggy you could try gently pulling the root ball out of the pot - it will probably come out with all the compost and still be 'plant-pot shaped'. Hold the pot and plant horizontally and give the pot a little tap while pulling gently on the bunch of stems. If it holds together carefully stand the potless plant on a folded newspaper and let it drain into the paper and dry in the air a bit. After a couple of hours ease it back into the pot.

If it is showing signs of the compost breaking up when you attempt this then just ease it back into the pot and stand the whole lot on a pad of newspaper to absorb some of the water.

You really don't have to worry about it too much - I have one standing beside the front door in quite a gloomy spot, and it gets watered when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KieraAdamson

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Thanks guys

His leaves have been opening and closing a fair bit. This morning (even on the table), the leaves were much more open. Whereas now he seems to be attempting some very difficult yoga pose with two pointing straight up, and another two practically wrapped around each other. So he's still alive anyway I guess.

The soil isn't drying out much at all. It was dripping when I got him (suppose four days ago now), and it is still extremely wet. I suppose I'd need to get new soil and re-pot him if he is submerged like this? I left him on the window sill during the day only. During the weekdays, the window is closed, so he's only getting light through the glass - but it wouldn't be cold at all.

I would resoil him and transfer him to a new pot. I think the reason why the pot keeps dripping even 4 days later is that his roots cannot hold enough water because there is no enough soil to hold his roots. I have a plant like that at home, when I placed in the open air, his leaves started to open up like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 KieraAdamson

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Thanks guys

I would resoil him and transfer him to a new pot. I think the reason why the pot keeps dripping even 4 days later is that his roots cannot hold enough water because there is no enough soil in the pot. I have a plant like that at home, when I placed in the open air, his leaves started to open up like that.

Advertisement