Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow potatoes for next year

Options
  • 02-11-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi GUys

I grew a few potatoes this year in grow bags and really enjoyed it and would like to ramp up production next year :-)

However i have all tarmac around my house and was wondering whats the best way of growing a good few potatoes

1. Can i put a raised bed on the tarmac or will it encourage weeds to grow on the tar underneath ?
    2. Would i be better buying a glass house , putting a base one it and putting all the grow bags in there ?
    3. WOuld i be best to buy a glass house, put base on it and then raised beds with potatoes in it ?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Not tried this yet, but thinking of it for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I always grow two raised beds of potatoes every year. I have found the variety Homeguard to be pretty reliable. I plant on St. Patrick's Day and harvest mid June. I usually have to "earth up" once or twice during the three months that they are growing. My raised beds are situated on top of the ground so I do not know what the situation might be if growing on tarmac. I would imagine that your beds would need to be about a foot deep. You will need to hold back some loose soil so that you can earth up the plants as they grow.
    As soon as I harvest my potatoes in June I always sow turnips from seed in the same beds. I always get a good crop from these and even this morning I will pick a couple to eat today.
    Another crop that is proving successful are my French beans and Broad beans. I simply have some tree branches about 8' tall, tied together wigwam style and with smaller branches in between the bigger branches so that the young plants can grow up these. I usually wrap some twine/string around these to add further climbing support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I always grow two raised beds of potatoes every year. I have found the variety Homeguard to be pretty reliable. I plant on St. Patrick's Day and harvest mid June. I usually have to "earth up" once or twice during the three months that they are growing. My raised beds are situated on top of the ground so I do not know what the situation might be if growing on tarmac. I would imagine that your beds would need to be about a foot deep. You will need to hold back some loose soil so that you can earth up the plants as they grow.
    As soon as I harvest my potatoes in June I always sow turnips from seed in the same beds. I always get a good crop from these and even this morning I will pick a couple to eat today.
    Another crop that is proving successful are my French beans and Broad beans. I simply have some tree branches about 8' tall, tied together wigwam style and with smaller branches in between the bigger branches so that the young plants can grow up these. I usually wrap some twine/string around these to add further climbing support.
    You don't need a glasshouse.

Advertisement