Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice to new golfer

Options
  • 02-11-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi lads and ladies,
    My brothers and I went for a game of pitch and putt a few months back. We enjoyed immensely, so much so we all went and bought second hand golf sets. It has been fantastic in regards to bringing us closer and having some quality time together. We are in our 30s and personal family commitments restrict our recreational time. We've played a few times now, both p&p and par 3. 2 of us seem to be improving 79 & 81 (yes that's an improvement :) ) but the other 2 are still hitting 90s and triple figures.
    Now, I have two issues. 1 being a personal question and the other more a question regarding our general play.
    One of our group wants to play a full par 4, (most improved player) but I (2nd improved player) would like us all to play more p&p and par 3 so we can improve a little more. I'm afraid I'd embarrass myself as well as frustrate other golfers on the course as I don't think we are good enough yet. I wouldn't like to split the group, not when we are getting on so well and enjoying ourselves.

Secondly, is a personal question about my play. I've spent many hours on the driving range and received compliments on my swing,accuracy and distance and im getting more consistent. but out on a course like the par 3 I'd drive a little 130yard shot and then thats were my game gets bad. ill attempt to chip onto the green and either over hit it, roll off it or worse a little dink that lands a few feet in front off me. How do I improve this part of my game? I'm calm and relaxed on the tee box then frustrated and annoyed on the fairway.

Sorry it's so long of a post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Best thing you guys could do is go for a group lesson, most pros will do them at a reasonable rate.
    Getting the basic right before trying to play golf is something I wish I had done and I reckon you will get the same answer off most of the guys in here.
    If you do play pick a easy course and just keep moving, try and pick a quite time maybe 4 hours before dark on a Saturday and play as many holes as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

The group lessons sound like a fantastic idea for your group.

On wanting to play different types of courses. I'd say give it a try, I went from about 5-6 games of P&P to a full course and never went back to P&P.

Where abouts are you located? Being able to recommend an easy course for a full 18 would be better.

As for your short game, the group lessons will help with the basics and in turn help with these shots.

They're many Youtube coaches that give general instruction aswell ( Rick Shiels/Peter Finch/ Me and My Golf/ Shawn Clement/ Mark Crossfield to name a few) you could take a look at. If I was you I'd only look at the "how to play XX type of shot" ones as the "how to stop doing XYZ" videos can do more harm than good.

On top of that, a one on one lesson will help immensly with the right teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭audioslave

Thanks for the replies lads. great idea with the group lessons. might look into that.
    Im based in Laois but the others are all north county Dublin. We were playing Julianstown and Balheary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Most Sundays you'll find most course are quiet, so just go and give it a go and enjoy it. Maybe only play 9 holes for the first time.

You might find that you'll all enjoy playing full golf a lot more then the P&P.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Etiquette.aspx

Read that.
    And follow it.
    And really just remember we all started somewhere. Too many people really forget that they was once so dire they were the newbies.

And just keep enjoying it.

As for the short game issue...if you got a garden...umberella and a few balls.

A greenhouse for added pressure.

And practice chipping balls into the umberella from 10 - 20 yards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

I struggle chipping onto greens in balheary, proper golf course is much better and you will progress much quicker as well, try a 9 hole course and see how that gos.
    High handicap golfers don't frustrate many people, everyone starts somewhere so don't worry about what other people might think

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

audioslave wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads. great idea with the group lessons. might look into that.
    Im based in Laois but the others are all north county Dublin. We were playing Julianstown and Balheary

A perfect place to play - if you could go yourself even.

Is Portlaoise golf course.

This is an extended par 3 - now a full course, but very easy and a real course.

In Dublin - the 18 hole course in Deer Park is on easy side - but is long and you need to be able to hit ball maybe 180 yards + (Howth)

You should all go to a driving range together too - is cheap, fun and fairly sociable.

After that you could try Sillogue in ballymun - fine course , but again need to be hitting ball a bit of distance.

The 18 in Deer Park would be on the harder side too. But fairly open.

Watch a few video on You Tube.

If you do go to a course - you will be slow , but just let faster players past.

Is a good idea to go when a bit quieter as said above.

by the way - Ive brought lads out on a course who can hardly hit a ball . And they got around. Just keep moving.
    It is a good idea to go with a golfer to learn.

Amazing how a person can improve in one round - just hit ball then turf - that one tip can save you years - ball then turf.

The only basics you need to know are

put divot back into ground
    Only bring a putter onto green nothing else like bag or trolley
    Fix pitch marks (You tube this)
    Walk a good pace.

Is not as intimidating as you think

Do ye know any golfer ?

On the chipping when you are starting - you can't go wrong watching end of this.

You can look at other methods in a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you can make your way a bit further south in Dublin I'd say try Grange Castle off the n7.

They have a 7 hole golf course which is 5 par 4s & 2 par 3s. Think it costs €10 for 7, but you can play it twice for €15.

It'll give you a taster without having to commit 4 hours or so. Also, it's separate from the main course so you won't feel under the same pressure. It's mainly used for casual rounds or practice.

Give it a try. Hit one great drive, long iron, chip it close & you'll be back for more :D

Really thank you all for the replies, some great advice there and ive pass the videos on to the others. to our credit, we were following good etiquette, we often let others play through.
    I will give Portlaoise a go by myself friday morning, hopefully it will be quite and i can play relaxed instead of rushing because im conscious of players behind me.
    As for the longer holes, I can hit 175-180 every drive and the odd time get 200-210 with roll. I'm finding the more I try to smash it that's when it will veer of to the left. If I give like a 3qtr swing I'll get 150+ but straight. Practice and technique need improving.

• Advertisement

Really thank you all for the replies, some great advice there and ive pass the videos on to the others. to our credit, we were following good etiquette, we often let others play through.
    I will give Portlaoise a go by myself friday morning, hopefully it will be quite and i can play relaxed instead of rushing because im conscious of players behind me.
    As for the longer holes, I can hit 175-180 every drive and the odd time get 200-210 with roll. I'm finding the more I try to smash it that's when it will veer of to the left. If I give like a 3qtr swing I'll get 150+ but straight. Practice and technique need improving.

We have him lads :D
    Hooked
    Welcome to a world of brilliance , fun , pain and joy and all in 18 holes.

Perfect place - Portlaoise - ring and see if free.

By the way - I spend a bit of time there and will go out with you if you want over next few months.

But - you will meet other lads there.

Looking like heavy rain tmrw morning, I'll be soaked through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looking like heavy rain tmrw morning, I'll be soaked through

There is probably a bit of advice that was missed out on. If you are serious about taking up golf, invest in decent rain gear...it is Ireland after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't know about this. I used to be fiercely motivated when starting out but soon discovered that playing in proper rain just isn't worth it. A shower is grand but hours of nonstop rain usually paired with wind and cold temperature is no fun. Wait for tomorrow.

Well lads I got out and completed 18 holes.First time on a par 4. It didn't rain to badly afterwards. I really enjoyed it and took some positives from it today. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Really struggled with those 3 par 5s, driving from the fairway is new to me and definitely needs a lot of work. For those 3 par 5s I got 2 8s and a 10.
    On the up side, I got my first par on a par 4, chuffed!
    I finished on 110. 1 par & 3 bogies.
    Am I a hopeless case guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

Well lads I got out and completed 18 holes.First time on a par 4. It didn't rain to badly afterwards. I really enjoyed it and took some positives from it today. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Really struggled with those 3 par 5s, driving from the fairway is new to me and definitely needs a lot of work. For those 3 par 5s I got 2 8s and a 10.

Not at all. Well done and keep up the lessons, quickest route to success! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Don't know the course or how difficult it is but a very respectable score non the less for your first time out, congrats. Remember there's a statement often bandied about that only 10% of golfers regularly break 100.
    Not sure what you meant by `
    "driving from the fairway is new to me and definitely needs a lot of work"
    but you shouldn't be using your driver from the fairway, wouldn't even try the 3 wood starting out, stick with a 5 iron and get it airborne as no run in this autumnal weather with wet and soft ground.

That is fairly impressive stuff - breaking 100 a respectable score in golf and for your first time out - very good.

Where was it audioslave ?

If Portlaoise it is on easier side, but has got tricky holes and is not far off a real scale course. Not far at all.

Just take it in small steps - watch next time you will have a real chance at 2 pars - maybe more .

Then before you know it you break 100 - then after a bit longer 90 , then 80 then we better calm down a bit first - enjoy , well done. :)

Hi, thank you. I really thought it would be considered really bad. The lady at the club house asked how I done and I jokingly said "ah we won't talk about it" thinking id be laughed at. Because whenever you hear and read golfing discussions, I usually hear 70-90 range.
    Sorry, I meant the 5 wood. I was attempting to use the 5 wood on the fairway after my initial drive. Found it quite difficult.

That is fairly impressive stuff - breaking 100 a respectable score in golf and for your first time out - very good.

Where was it audioslave ?

It was Portlaoise, I really enjoyed it and will definitely be returning. I've already gotten on to my brothers to come down for a game.

• Advertisement

It was Portlaoise, I really enjoyed it and will definitely be returning. I've already gotten on to my brothers to come down for a game.

Great - new it would be perfect.

Nice crowd there too.

Best of luck - just know that it takes time - and you get worse before you get better sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

First off, apologies for jumping into a relatively recent 'beginner golfer' thread with an altogether separate query but by my reckoning it is probably better to post here than create a brand new thread for my own query when the original thread topic still applies.

I have a beginners equipment query some might be kind enough to offer guidance on as I'm not convinced I'll get impartial advice in a store. Background - I took to the game of golf last summer. Had played a little bit as a teenager but didn't enjoy it that much due to shoddy play and put down the clubs for about 15 years. Played a lot during the summer and autumn months this year, got a couple of lessons and would now shoot in the 95 ball park. Maybe 90-100 depending on course or day. I've just paid my fees to join a (very local) club this coming year for first time so looking forward to playing a lot of golf in 2016 and getting my handicap.

Query is this. I'm playing with an old set of Callaway x14 irons. They are in reasonable condition. Could perhaps do with being regripped but have been regripped by previous owner at some point and concern therefore not immediate. Most likely will need to be done alright at some point in 2016. I have been snooping at offers available in McGuirks and American Golf for current sales and it seems I could get a brand new set of Benross Irons for about 200-225 euro right now. Having done a bit of online research it seems these irons are considered to be quite good value at their original pricepoint for someone of my level, not even taking the current sale prices into account.

I have 100 euro in vouchers to use so I'm looking at perhaps about a 125 outlay for a new set of irons. Factor in potential regripping of the Callaway x14's at some point and there's not much in it.

But am I perhaps being dazzled by the shiny new clubheads? I'm aware the x14's were ahead of their time anyway. Maybe I'm mad to be considering changing in the early stages of my golf career. As I say, I'm not confident I'll get impartial advice in a golf store so any short but sweet points of view would be gratefully welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

I bought a set of used Calloway x20 irons when I started back playing golf last year, I previously owned the x16s and really liked them so that's why I just upgraded, great thing was it wasn't hard getting use to them as they felt very similar, I'm a 4 handicap now and my irons would be one of my strengths so I would highly recommend these line of irons, maybe shop around for a used set on adverts or donedeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

golfer79 wrote: »
    First off, apologies for jumping into a relatively recent 'beginner golfer' thread with an altogether separate query but by my reckoning it is probably better to post here than create a brand new thread for my own query when the original thread topic still applies.

I have a beginners equipment query some might be kind enough to offer guidance on as I'm not convinced I'll get impartial advice in a store. Background - I took to the game of golf last summer. Had played a little bit as a teenager but didn't enjoy it that much due to shoddy play and put down the clubs for about 15 years. Played a lot during the summer and autumn months this year, got a couple of lessons and would now shoot in the 95 ball park. Maybe 90-100 depending on course or day. I've just paid my fees to join a (very local) club this coming year for first time so looking forward to playing a lot of golf in 2016 and getting my handicap.

Query is this. I'm playing with an old set of Callaway x14 irons. They are in reasonable condition. Could perhaps do with being regripped but have been regripped by previous owner at some point and concern therefore not immediate. Most likely will need to be done alright at some point in 2016. I have been snooping at offers available in McGuirks and American Golf for current sales and it seems I could get a brand new set of Benross Irons for about 200-225 euro right now. Having done a bit of online research it seems these irons are considered to be quite good value at their original pricepoint for someone of my level, not even taking the current sale prices into account.

I have 100 euro in vouchers to use so I'm looking at perhaps about a 125 outlay for a new set of irons. Factor in potential regripping of the Callaway x14's at some point and there's not much in it.

But am I perhaps being dazzled by the shiny new clubheads? I'm aware the x14's were ahead of their time anyway. Maybe I'm mad to be considering changing in the early stages of my golf career. As I say, I'm not confident I'll get impartial advice in a golf store so any short but sweet points of view would be gratefully welcomed.

Personally I would regrip the callaway irons while Ben ross may be a good option for a high handicappers they are a budget set of irons, most people would be looking to upgrade towards callaway or ping etc as they improve. You could also go down the road of a trade in or sell them on adverts if you feel a bit stale with them. There's lots of good secondhand irons out there that imo would be better than Ben ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

Thanks for both of your replies lads. May yet actually properly look into both options. I was on the brink of going back to McGuirks today but may actually leave it til tomorrow or day after now and give myself another day or two of considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Regrip the x14 without doubt. A set of those at 60% regripped will be better to you than any brand new budget set. I got a lovely set on king cobra irons regripped recently and love them. A well made set of irons from the early naughties will be better to you than beginners clubs you will outgrow in 12 months

Advertisement