Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L'Etape du Tour 2016

Options
  • 02-11-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just starting a thread for the 2016 L'Etape ...

Anyone booked any flights or accommodation yet ?

Any smart thinking for getting from the finish back to the start after the event ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Would adore to do this. How do I train for the climbs when there's nothing comparable in my local area though?--this must be one of the most significant challenges of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

nialljf wrote: »
    Would adore to do this. How do I train for the climbs when there's nothing comparable in my local area though?--this must be one of the most significant challenges of the event.

3500m is all the climbing in the stage ive read....
    Plenty of hills in Dublin and Wicklow albeit you may have cycle a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Thinking of getting the ferry and staying in Albertville. Looked into flights, taking a bike box, renting a car, etc and there was much of a muchness in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I've started booking this. Have my place already obviously. We're doing it as a family holiday too. Flying to Geneva with swiss air, about 900 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Rent a car at the airport, been looking this up already, you can rent on the Swiss side or French side. Been reading up on this, to me I think renting on the Geneva side will be handier. Going to stay at Lake Annecy for 10 days. We've booked a mobile on a campsite near the south side of it.

The hardest thing to figure out so far is how to a. Get to the start in Megeve from lake annecy and b. Get back from tge end in morzine.
    I think the easiest will be to stay in Megeve the night before and use the shuttle to drop the car to the finish the day before. The only problem is that I'll have to stay in Megeve myself the night before, and at this stage I doubt I'll find somewhere to stay... Haven't checked yet.

The next issue is I'll need something to attach my bike to on the rental car. Do they rent bike racks? If not is there any that would fit in a suitcase? We'll have a spare case with us as 3 cases will be enough for the four of us.

Anyone else doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I booked in with trail seekers. (Guy is quite a character) flights booked Geneva with the national carrier (now owned by the Britiah national carrier) and race entry in.

Now just time to get my ass in gear and got rid of a least a stone in weight.

• Advertisement

Well guys and girls

How is everybody getting on training wise? Not long to go now

I also found this article that may of some note to some people with disc brakes

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/disc-brakes-banned-letape-du-tour-french-sportives-221663

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

bazermc wrote: »
    Well guys and girls

How is everybody getting on training wise? Not long to go now

I also found this article that may of some note to some people with disc brakes

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/disc-brakes-banned-letape-du-tour-french-sportives-221663

Cripes, that's interesting! A spanner in the works for a lot of amateur sportive riders with newly purchased disc braked "good" bikes. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Route changed due to risk of falling rocks on Col de Ramaz apparently. Reduced to 122km, 2873m climbing. Hardly seems worth it now

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Bit easier then original for sure but wouldnt take joux plan for granted and weather could play a role too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

fuppin delighted tbh, training hadn't been going to plan - have a chance now!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

fuppin delighted tbh, training hadn't been going to plan - have a chance now!! :p

Not too sorry either lol it's my 6th one so need a break 😜

LOL page 4

A Kiss and Ride!!!!!

For a relaxed start, head to Megève via Sallanches and take the
    MPP (see map) by way of road D1212. For safety reasons, you
    are advised to only park your car in the areas marked out by the
    organisation.
    This route grants you easy access to two car parks and two Kiss
    & Ride areas.
    • Car park: you can park your car here throughout the day.
    Note that the organisation will not run a shuttle service from
    Morzine to Megève on the day of the race.
    • Kiss & Ride: drop-off point, stopping allowed for up to 5
    minutes. Areas reserved for cyclists with companions. Take
    road D1212 towards Sallanches to leave Megève and head for
    Morzine.

http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/egp/etapedutour/edt16-lr-b-page-a-page-bd.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

victor201 wrote: »
    Not too sorry either lol it's my 6th one so need a break 😜

haha yeh only my second - was delighted to have finished last year so wasn't too concerned about this years inevitable failure - rock fall has reinvigorated my ambition to finish once more ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

dogsears wrote: »
    Route changed due to risk of falling rocks on Col de Ramaz apparently. Reduced to 122km, 2873m climbing. Hardly seems worth it now

have you been there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

dogsears wrote: »

have you been there before?
    Did it last year although obviously not the same location and it was one of the hardest days cycling I ever did. It just seems as though the change in route and, more specifically climbing metres reduces it from the uber challenge it would have been - but I'm really not complaining 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I've completed 9 etapes. Did last years one on no training wouldn't recommend that to anyone but I'm stubborn.

Best of luck with it I'm sure when your in the throes of it you'll be glad it's a little shorter.

Hardest one I did was 109km. Few years ago. People laughed at the distance on paper they cried in reality.

Advertisement