Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Incidents Forthill St/Queen St

Options
  • 02-11-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi there,

I'm posting to see peoples general opinion on this. I just moved to an apartment at the corner of the junction of these 2 roads and over the last couple of month I've noticed there is a good few "minor" incidents and a large amount of near misses here. I personally have seen at least 3 crashes, mostly just loud bumps and a few dents but one where the rear window smashed (and plenty of angry shouting). I'm also constantly hearing cars beeping from what I'm going to assume are near misses.

As for the junction, Forthill St (perpendicular to Queen St) turns on to Queen St (one way street). There is a stop sign and STOP road markings at this junction coming from Forthill St but no sign or obvious markings coming from Queen St. This has me assuming "right of way" for cars coming from Queen St.

Has there always been an issue with people driving here? There are markings and signs telling people to stop for traffic on one of the streets, so is it just people don't bother looking?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I have seen a few drivers just take the turn off Forthill St without stopping on numerous occassions. perhaps more road furniture needed? rumble strips or bigger stop signs or whatever works ?
    Common practice in very slow traffic to just take the chance , people get very impatient .
    Worse in other areas of city is red light jumping and roundabout shooting out and compounded by virtually no traffic enforcement in city. the amount of times I have had a green light either walking or driving out to Moycullen road at QCB only to be met by a red light breaker numbers approx 10 vehicles per week out of 14 trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Frequently the problem is usually caused by double parking along Queen St by large vehicles. and just outside the garage, it can actually be very hard sometimes for people exiting along Forthill St. to see what's coming from the Vic end. If cars coming along Queen St. are driving at excessive speed it's usually a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would drive home from work via Queen St. regularly, but I've never seen any incidents or near misses. However, this would always be during evening rush hour traffic, so it's generally bumper to bumper.

Queen St. traffic definitely has right of way. The only reasons I can think of for Forthill St. traffic failing to stop is that the bend in the road at the junction makes it harder to see traffic approaching from the left (i.e. the driver has to turn his/her head more) than if the junction was at 90 degrees. Also there is normally a lot of vehicles parked close to the junction so that could be a distraction and prevent motorists from seeing oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Queen Street has right of way and most drivers will understand this. If nothing by the simple reason it's a T junction and also by the Stop signs.
    Drivers on Forthill sometimes pushes out into traffic if they don't get let out.
    I drive there almost every day with no issues so far #touchwood

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NineEggs

Luckily, I haven't had an accident here myself but merely by my living right beside this junction I am seeing and hearing plenty of near misses. I'm also seeing a lot of impatient drivers just pushing their way onto the road. Dastardly, you're right about visibility at this junction, especially if there are cars/vans parked there, but, if anything, that should cause drivers to be more cautious?? There also seem to be issues with people parking on Forthill St itself when they are stopped on the street, about to park or waiting for a car to move. Just the other day I was on the balcony and I saw a guy very nearly hit (enough to make me cringe) a mini that was trying to pass by his car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement