Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-graduate / Preliminary examination

Options
  • 02-11-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello to everyone hope I can get a help here. I'm a bit confused and need some advise. I don't have a degree in any area but I want to become a solicitor I have only completed Pre- University Law course which is kind a PLC course in Law :) my solicitor have told me that I dont necessary have to have a degree to become a solicitor and step into Law School. According to law society web page I would need to complete the Preliminary Examination which consists of 3 exams and after that Ill have to go for FE-1 :) Ive been trying to get more information abt Preliminary Examination preparatory course but with no luck at all. Has any one here would have any experience with this pls? I would really appreciate if u could share that with me :) Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

The preliminary exam is a vestige from a different age, if you search the forum you will find plenty of posts on it.

Technically the exam means that it is possible to become a Solicitor without a degree but that doesn't mean it is a good route or even a particularly doable one. I don't know anyone nor have I even heard of someone successfully using this route although I suppose people must sit the exam.

Aside from the fact that the syllabus, such as it is, is exceptionally broad and the exam is held only once a year you really need a degree of some sort to make yourself employable. It isn't quite the quick back door route it seems to be.

Advertisement