Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager rates

Options
  • 01-11-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

What is going rate for club managers? Have heard some very different prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

Smith614 wrote: »
    What is going rate for club managers? Have heard some very different prices.

Haven't you heard? It is an amateur organisation and nobody gets paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Grueller wrote: »
    Haven't you heard? It is an amateur organisation and nobody gets paid.

Our football manager was on 80euro in ....ahem..*cough*...expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

2 all Ireland final tickets was what my oul lad got (junior club) But they wanted to pay him but he wouldn't take it as he'd rather the funds go into the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

Could be anything from free up to €150 a night depending on grade and how high profile the coach is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

My club pays our manager €40 per training session/match. He only lives 5 minutes down the road so he has zero expenses.

We did have a former All-Star in charge a few years ago and he cost €80 per training session/match.

It's a kick in the teeth to the people who work hard fundraising, we haven't even got flood lights. Players do a lot of fundraising as well and also pay €4 into games they're playing in plus membership every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

clubs are throwing money away

spend the money on sending your club coaches to get qualifications
    outside coaches generally leave nothing but a hole in the bank balance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    clubs are throwing money away

spend the money on sending your club coaches to get qualifications
    outside coaches generally leave nothing but a hole in the bank balance

Exactly. Our club has had a few proper ****ing chancers offer to train us for money that it takes a vast amount of work on many people's behalf to get together. Mostly charlatans looking to piggy back off the very thing that makes clubs and the association great. Should be all told to go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

It seems mad money. The soone r clubs face reality the better. Reports around north cork say 1 intermediate team paid €10000 to their coach. Is it sustainable?? Me thinks not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

Never mind the sponsored cars that are also thrown into the package for players and coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nib wrote: »

It's a kick in the teeth to the people who work hard fundraising, we haven't even got flood lights. Players do a lot of fundraising as well and also pay €4 into games they're playing in plus membership every year.

we pay €5 for every game and €100 membership and we dont pay our manager a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

we pay €5 for every game and €100 membership and we dont pay our manager a cent.
    Where's that? Seems excessive. Our Memberships is €60. We get nothing for it though, no gear or food or any of those luxuries and we pay for our own club hoodies and training tops.

I've no problem paying into games or membership because it's well worth it, but it's galling to see some of these mercenaries holding clubs to ransom doing a job lads in the club would be happy to do for nothing.

Having said all of that, it does cause problems when lads from within the club are senior manger, players tend not to give as much effort and the usual politics when it comes to picking a team, whereas an outsider holds no grudges or loyalties to anyone.

Where's that? Seems excessive. Our Memberships is €60. We get nothing for it though, no gear or food or any of those luxuries and we pay for our own club hoodies and training tops.

I've no problem paying into games or membership because it's well worth it, but it's galling to see some of these mercenaries holding clubs to ransom doing a job lads in the club would be happy to do for nothing.

Having said all of that, it does cause problems when lads from within the club are senior manger, players tend not to give as much effort and the usual politics when it comes to picking a team, whereas an outsider holds no grudges or loyalties to anyone.

true
    but the money spend on a mercenary manager could be much better spent elsewhere in the club

Dublin rates, would be fairly common here to have €100 membership, and i think other clubs is a little bit more.

by the way, we get fu*k all also - no meals, or gear or anything like that, we need to buy it all ourselves. we got bags sponsored/subsidised last year for a championship final but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

plenty of clubs were happy to go in the red for a year or two or 5 to get a senior championship, i'd have no problem being one of those players

Kieran81 wrote: »
    plenty of clubs were happy to go in the red for a year or two or 5 to get a senior championship, i'd have no problem being one of those players

but think of the 10 clubs who shelled out big money and won nothing

is winning trophies a measure of success?
    what about fielding enough teams for all the players in the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

but think of the 10 clubs who shelled out big money and won nothing

is winning trophies a measure of success?
    what about fielding enough teams for all the players in the club?

Think that's a very valid point,remember a 'stalwart' in our club saying it was a waste of money to enter a second adult team in Junior Level.Even though club had one of those mercenary sorts as Senior Manager the same year....and won less than half of games played that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

My biggest gripe from a few years ago was being asked to co-ordinate fundraising within our underage teams with the funds generated returning to the senior committee. Then I end up chasing down money for size 4's or 5's, go game nets etc, whilst hearing that €12,500 was spent on the senior set up - manager, trainer and an external physio for match days etc - it proved unsustainable thank jaysis, and things have returned to a more even keel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

true
    but the money spend on a mercenary manager could be much better spent elsewhere in the club

I think it's highly unfair to tar every outside manager who get paid as being a mercenary. Some clubs need that outside help or coaching to bring them to the next level. for some of these people, it can eat up a lot of their time if they are travelling or have to take any time off work. Yes, totally agree that there are some utter chancers out there getting money for nothing, but it's far from correct to say paying a "mercenary" manager could be better spent elsewhere. That money spent could win a county title or 2, generate far more interest locally in the team and get spirits up and create a better ling term plan.

It's that kind of stuck in the mud old hat GAA attitude that doesnt help. By your reckoning, every manager should come from within a club, regardless of qualifications or experience. And by straight away condemning an outside paid manager, it will never succeed, and that as much as anything is a common trait in clubs. "Ah sure look how much we're spending and he hasnt a clue"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Gael85

Hear a club manager is getting €250 a session.In fairness he won a club title so the money paid off

Gael85 wrote: »
    Hear a club manager is getting €250 a session.In fairness he won a club title so the money paid off
    Ah hear, r u serious? €250 per session all yr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Gael85

Ah hear, r u serious? €250 per session all yr.

Heard he getting €750 a week so presume training 3/4nights a wk so could be less than 200 a session if training 4 nights.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Heard he getting €750 a week so presume training 3/4nights a wk so could be less than 200 a session if training 4 nights.

What club has that kind of cash sitting around? Don't anyone come on here telling me that guy is anything other than a ****ing leeching mercenary, I don't care what travel or family time he's giving up, he's a mercenary, end of story. I don't care if he wins you the all Ireland and makes twenty thousand local kids take up the sport, he's in it for himself, and he's creaming cash from the hard work of others. That's not what the gaa is meant to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

What club has that kind of cash sitting around? Don't anyone come on here telling me that guy is anything other than a ****ing leeching mercenary, I don't care what travel or family time he's giving up, he's a mercenary, end of story. I don't care if he wins you the all Ireland and makes twenty thousand local kids take up the sport, he's in it for himself, and he's creaming cash from the hard work of others. That's not what the gaa is meant to be about.

What a bizarre and backwards attitude. His motives(which you know nothing about) are irrelevant if he ends up making the club more money and gets more kids playing the sport. Anything that gets more kids playing is worth it. The money from winning championships is just a bonus.

Are you one of those people that thinks the manager has to be a local who has come through the club? Regardless of quality?

What a bizarre and backwards attitude. His motives(which you know nothing about) are irrelevant if he ends up making the club more money and gets more kids playing the sport. Anything that gets more kids playing is worth it. The money from winning championships is just a bonus.

Are you one of those people that thinks the manager has to be a local who has come through the club? Regardless of quality?

No. But if the motives of someone taking 250 a session are anything other than getting 250 a session then everything I know about money is meaningless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No. But if the motives of someone taking 250 a session are anything other than getting 250 a session then everything I know about money is meaningless.

to be honest, I'd doubt he is getting that, I cant see any club being as stupid. The most I have ever heard of is a former county manager, who has been over 4 county teams, was with a large urban club and was getting just under €200 per session. His travel was 100 miles round trip. I wouldnt quite agree he is a mercenary though, but was taking advantage and getting as much as he could, and not even a good manager at that.

clubs have money, there is no doubt there.

church gate collections, race nights, lotteries etc etc in a parish that has nothing else in there makes alot of clubs, essentially a well run business.

the GAA is the most important thing in alot of parts of ireland, and money flows in and out of these type of clubs.

my own club in Kerry is exceptionally well run and weve got facilities there that Senior clubs in Dublin would be proud of.

clubs have money, there is no doubt there.

church gate collections, race nights, lotteries etc etc in a parish that has nothing else in there makes alot of clubs, essentially a well run business.

the GAA is the most important thing in alot of parts of ireland, and money flows in and out of these type of clubs.

my own club in Kerry is exceptionally well run and weve got facilities there that Senior clubs in Dublin would be proud of.

Try running a modern hurling club, its easy run a gaelic football club financially compared to a hurling club. The way you talk u would think GAA clubs have no expenses.
    Any trainer on over €80 a night should be reported to revenue. Its a joke the way they walk away with cash and clubs will crumble in time because of this kind of thing. My club play the same level of hurling and football but the outside trainer training the hurlers gets €100 a night but the football trainer ( club member ) gets nothing. We will probably do better at football in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

If someone is getting 250 a session(which I doubt anyone is, 200 maybe) then you'd assume they know their stuff and are backing up their payments with championships, which pays for their salary. What does it matter if a manager cares more about the money than the team? He didn't get to the level he's at by being an average manager, he must have some great credentials. It's not like he's just showing up for training and tell them to have a few 5 a side matches while he sits on the sideline. He's got to get results. If he doesn't then that's on the club for hiring him, it's their responsibility to appoint the right guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I doubt there is anyone at club level anywhere getting €250 a session. That is crazy money.
    There are a certain amount of chancers operating around the country who move from club to club, often staying no more than a year (totally inadequate for team development) and charging as much as possible in the process.

However, there is, thankfully a growing number of more knowledgeable, sensible and ethical coaches around also. More and more GAA members are educating themselves on proper training methods, coaching methods, nutrition, recovery etc.

As to the poster saying anyone getting more than €80 per session should be reported. Go get a quote from any gym, personal trainer or professional coach for group sessions 3 times a week over up to 12 months...I think you'll find that if you get a good coach (or manager who is good at hands-on coaching) then €80 is fairly reasonable. If he is a bluffer, then get rid of him, or do your research better before hiring him! As I said, there are bluffers out there, but I'm sure everyone knows a lot of clubs that have benefitted hugely from high quality "outside" input. In many cases it may have been the final step to get a group of players to a level they would otherwise not have reached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It seems mad money. The soone r clubs face reality the better. Reports around north cork say 1 intermediate team paid €10000 to their coach. Is it sustainable?? Me thinks not.

Mitchelstown?

Advertisement