Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time October/November been this mild?

Options
  • 01-11-2015 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Quick question When was the last time October/November been this mild?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I can't recall for this time of year. But I remember one day in December 2 or 3 years ago where it reached a nice balmy 15 degrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

I can remember that but just cant remember October/November been this mild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

last year?

using Johnstown records it was average 12C last Oct, 11.4 this. 12.5 in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

like a summer's day on the mountains today. stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

last year?

using Johnstown records it was average 12C last Oct, 11.4 this. 12.5 in 2013

Mean maxima and mean temps, averaged over the 7 day period Oct 25 to Oct 31st at Johnstown since 2007. Data is from met.ie.

367329.PNG

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

October 2015 was colder at all Dublin met stations (Dublin AP, Phoenix Park and Casement) than October 2014 (and October 2013 for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Quick question When was the last time October/November been this mild?

Last year

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

I have no idea where this 'mild' weather is coming into play. It's freezing out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Would this be classified as an Indian Summer? Heard before its not a real Indian Summer unless its above average temps after the first frost. A good few places are 5C or 6C above average the last day or two. Even looking at the lawn today it looks like it needs another chop. Last time we mowed it in Nov was probably Nov'07.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yesterday set a new record high November temperature according to Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yesterday set a new record high November temperature according to Met Eireann.

I saw that tweet, 20.1C in Dooks, Co Kerry, seems Kerry is having a late summer this week!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann October report is out
    Dry with above average temperatures nearly everywhere

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2015-Oct.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The last record November high (Dub 20.0) occurred under very different condition the recent record with a stiffer breeze and probably down to a fohen effect warming as the southerly breeze descended from the Wiklow Mts.

367609.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The last record November high (Dub 20.0) occurred under very different condition the recent record with a stiffer breeze and probably down to a fohen effect warming as the southerly breeze descended from the Wiklow Mts.

367609.PNG

Wasn't the following Feb, Mar, the artic winter 1947

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

tippguy2 wrote: »
    Wasn't the following Feb, Mar, the artic winter 1947
    Yes, newspapers said it was the highest November temp since 1946. My granny had plenty of stories of the Big Freeze of 47. Sounded like a nightmare really, snow on the ground until May too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did the Daily Mail not say in September that we'd be under 6ft of snow now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Years that had very mild first half of November would include 1938, 1994 and 2011. None of the winters that followed were notably cold but there were some colder intervals. You can easily look up how 94-95 and 11-12 ended up in Ireland, but as to 1938-39, maybe someone could investigate that one for Ireland -- I do know that in Britain, there was a four-day cold snap before Christmas and mostly mild weather after New Years with the odd colder day or two. From the maps, it looks as though it might have snowed in Dublin during that pre-Christmas cold spell.

The list above is not only in chronological order but also in order of warmth, and the way things are going, this year may nestle in there somewhere, but the average in Nov 1938 was significantly higher than the other two cases. Nov 1994 went on to produce the warmest November overall in the CET records.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

The second half of this November will be colder (single digits) but may get milder then for December again.

I think 1938/39 was fairly mild too MT.

Most Winters are but the odd snowy episode makes us think theyr not.

The 1990s were exceptionally mild. I remember it snowed in Christmas 1995 but dont remember it being snowy at all much other than that.

One year it was 16c in December maybe 1998 cant remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Padster90s wrote: »
    Would this be classified as an Indian Summer? Heard before its not a real Indian Summer unless its above average temps after the first frost. A good few places are 5C or 6C above average the last day or two. Even looking at the lawn today it looks like it needs another chop. Last time we mowed it in Nov was probably Nov'07.

Most years I cut our grass in Kerry on 23rd December then again in January, only exceptions were 09/10 and 10/11 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    The second half of this November will be colder (single digits) but may get milder then for December again.

I think 1938/39 was fairly mild too MT.

Most Winters are but the odd snowy episode makes us think theyr not.

The 1990s were exceptionally mild. I remember it snowed in Christmas 1995 but dont remember it being snowy at all much other than that.

One year it was 16c in December maybe 1998 cant remember rightly.

January 1991, February 1991, December 1993, 1995 & 1999 and November 1996 were the only months during the 1990's were I recorded some snowfall.

Past Novembers with a very warm spell like the beginning of this month I recorded:

2013 - yes it was very mild to start at times (I had a deviation of average with +2.9c above normal up to the 11th)
    1996 - near normal

So yeah, a very warm start to November is not rare like a White Christmas. Highlighted ones are the ones with the following Winter as a cold Winter. Those occurrences of cold Winters following are much rarer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement