Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day without idioms?

Options
  • 01-11-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭

Could you get through an entire day without using any idioms, metaphores or other figures of speech? (Is 'figure of speech' an idiom?)

I just referred to an argument being 'cobbled together' and it struck me (!) that we use so many of these expressions that we are often not aware that what we are saying really does not make sense.

So - are you dependent on idioms etc to get your meaning across? Our language would be much less colourful (!) without them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I sometimes get annoyed at myself when I catch myself using a tired cliché. If the aim is to speak concisely and be understood, they are useful. If you are speaking quickly, they're a handy short cut.

(is this a challenge? :P)

Advertisement