Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Hugh Mccaw

Options
  • 31-10-2015 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

Farewell sweet prince.

It's been a pleasure. Everyone wanted you on their team but alas.......

Greatest of all time.

It's been a privilege.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Nehe, how good is Sam Cane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Nehe, how good is Sam Cane?

Honestly?

He's scary good.
    He is mccaw with a twenty year olds legs.

Hasn't got the "aura" and obvious advantages that go with it . But hits very hard, scores plenty of tries and gets around the track.

To be fair ardie savea and Matt Todd are very good too.

savea might have to reinvent as a 6 or 8 to get in. He is very dynamic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didn't he intimate today that he may not retire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Stheno wrote: »
    Didn't he intimate today that he may not retire?

i think he was avoiding an answer because he doesnt want it to be about him. I reckon he will either retire or come to europe possibly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

aimee1 wrote: »
    i think he was avoiding an answer because he doesnt want it to be about him. I reckon he will either retire or come to europe possibly

Do the ABs have a rule that you can't play for them if you are playing outside NZ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd be surprised if moved up here.

I read his book and well there was a lot of latent contempt for NH rugby in general in it.

With all his achievements, what would moving North add?

He's made history today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

With all his achievements, what would moving North add?

He's made history today.

The same reason they all move north.....money

Crusaders named their squad mid week . Sans mccaw

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    The same reason they all move north.....money

He will be like Colin meads. Car ads etc.

No need to prostitute himself up here.

In my humble opinion

He won't have to put his hand in his pocket ever again in NZ anyway. Cash is useless to him !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

In my humble opinion

I don't believe he will move north...but if he did it would be silly money in the region of £1-1.5mil a year..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He won't have to put his hand in his pocket ever again in NZ anyway. Cash is useless to him !

EFTPOS baby, EFTPOS :pac:

that's if it still exists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

And when are you going to propose to him? You'll be the luckiest girl ever if he says 'yes'!

A fine player, yes, but an ordinary man who is good at his job at the end of the day.
    Just so happened I was watching Super 14 the morning he returned to play after the 2011 RWC win: he was booed by fans at that game, despite playing for his Country with a broken bone/rusty bolt in his foot. Contributions and sacrifices are very soon forgotten. I wonder will his inevitable arthritis make it seem worthwhile...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In my humble opinion

Plenty would equate flogging cars or other consumer goods much more with prostituting yourself than continuing to earn your living doing what you're actually known for and are well capable of doing for another year or two and experiencing a different culture at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

simply the best - seriously don't think we will ever see his like again , met him once in Dublin , and he was just as you'd expect , even got a laugh out of him - class class act - I for one hope he doesn't retire , 148 caps for the All Blacks, 2 WC's on and on - seriously unbelievable , no one even comes even close (whatever best player means :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,335 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For the future two words, akira ioane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I don't believe he will move north...but if he did it would be silly money in the region of £1-1.5mil a year..

I don't think money would be a factor, unless he needs it and I don't think he does - he's pretty much won everything that would have been important to him.

Would a Top 14, Premiership or ECC win really add anything to his achievements?

Plus he could probably make as much as a pundit.

Some player and some athlete to play at that level in that team for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A fine player, yes, but an ordinary man who is good at his job at the end of the day. Just so happened I was watching Super 14 the morning he returned to play after the 2011 RWC win: he was booed by fans at that game, despite playing for his Country with a broken bone/rusty bolt in his foot. Contributions and sacrifices are very soon forgotten. I wonder will his inevitable arthritis make it seem worthwhile...

That sounds like bitterness or begrudgery or God knows what on your part in my opinion.

I think he was the epitome of what a captain should be throughout his career.

Talented, dedicated, respectful, inspiring and any other superlatives you care to use.

"Ordinary Man"???... Cop on to yourself.

• Advertisement

A fine player, yes, but an ordinary man who is good at his job at the end of the day.

I dread to think what your opinion is of Brian O'Driscoll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Do the ABs have a rule that you can't play for them if you are playing outside NZ?
    They don't even like players planning a future outside N.Z. as Piatau discovered when he was denied a contract for this season because he was leaving next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Pure warrior, noble man and a great role model for any kids out there.

That sounds like bitterness or begrudgery or God knows what on your part in my opinion.

I think he was the epitome of what a captain should be throughout his career.

Talented, dedicated, respectful, inspiring and any other superlatives you care to use.

"Ordinary Man"???... Cop on to yourself.

Because I don't fawn over him, I'm bitter? I've already said he's a fine player; heaping lavish praise and eloquent superlatives upon him won't make him better or worse.
    He is good at what he does; as are many others. I don't get carried away with idolising people.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

149 tests at open side flanker in a career with serious injury and a year and a half off. Defies belief really.

Because I don't fawn over him, I'm bitter? I've already said he's a fine player; heaping lavish praise and eloquent superlatives upon him won't make him better or worse.
    He is good at what he does; as are many others. I don't get carried away with idolising people.

He's better than just good at what he does. He's possibly the best of all time at his chosen profession.

No matter what your profession, that's an achievement.

I'm not downplaying his achievements but treating him modestly. Like how he acts. No point in glorifying him, when he seems to be low-key about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ah come on.

'Good at what he does' - good at what he does maybe gets you a couple of seasons and 20 caps as a placeholder in the NZ squad.

I'm happy to criticise aspects of his game 'til the sheep come home, but aren't the superlatives deserved in this case?

I don't think anyone is idolising him - just saying it's great to have been a follower of rugby while he was playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If he hadn't taken that year out he would've broken 150! Himself and Carter will sit at the very top table of the game. Smith not too far behind.

Looking forward with a Backrow of Cane, Savea and Ioane is quite a prospect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm not downplaying his achievements but treating him modestly. Like how he acts. No point in glorifying him, when he seems to be low-key about it.

375574_400149680093709_390874873_n.jpg

Advertisement