Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 31-10-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Looking to get rid of some lylandi hedging. looking for a quick growing hedge that would be easier to keep under control.would like it to get to about 5 ft high. .Any recommendations.?

also can I just cut the lylandi and plant the new hedge between the stumps or would I have to dig up the stumps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I would suggest a privet hedge, tough and fast growing, though needs regular clipping in season. Griselina is another good one, I like the variegated one. Escalina is another nice hedging plant one, but maybe not as hardy
    Have a look at this site,which gives the most common hedging plants......http://doneganlandscaping.com/blog/2012/02/08/10-plants-for-an-irish-hedge/
    Regarding the Leylandii stumps, I would try to dig them out, but the roots are very tough and spread-out. So if the plants were far enough apart, try planting between the stumps. Though I would watch the stumps for signs of re-growth. Good luck, whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

coolhull wrote: »
    I would suggest a privet hedge, tough and fast growing, though needs regular clipping in season. Griselina is another good one, I like the variegated one. Escalina is another nice hedging plant one, but maybe not as hardy
    Have a look at this site,which gives the most common hedging plants......http://doneganlandscaping.com/blog/2012/02/08/10-plants-for-an-irish-hedge/
    Regarding the Leylandii stumps, I would try to dig them out, but the roots are very tough and spread-out. So if the plants were far enough apart, try planting between the stumps. Though I would watch the stumps for signs of re-growth. Good luck, whatever you decide!
    You won't get re-growth from Leyandii, and digging the stumps out by hand can be a major job (read near impossible) if the trees were well established in the first place.
    Planting the new hedge in between the stumps is perfecting fine but don't expect it to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

laurel will grow anywhere with those stumps in mind, but keeping it under or around 5 foot it can become fairly bare looking with heavy branches,a better type is portugese laurel..the old saying you cant have a fast growing hedge but try to keep it under 5 feet,its usually either one or the other.or else a good bit of pruning each year

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

bazbrady wrote: »
    laurel will grow anywhere with those stumps in mind, but keeping it under or around 5 foot it can become fairly bare looking with heavy branches,a better type is portugese laurel..the old saying you cant have a fast growing hedge but try to keep it under 5 feet,its usually either one or the other.or else a good bit of pruning each year

That's nonsense, the pace of growth of your hedge has little to no bearing on the bareness of growth at the base of your hedge and that's also true with how often you prune it, now on the other hand leaving weeds/grass etc. grow unchecked at the base of the hedge will have a real impact on the amout of leaves/branches produced at the base, as will how any weedkillers used to keep down same are applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

That's nonsense, the pace of growth of your hedge has little to no bearing on the bareness of growth at the base of your hedge and that's also true with how often you prune it, now on the other hand leaving weeds/grass etc. grow unchecked at the base of the hedge will have a real impact on the amout of leaves/branches produced at the base, as will how any weedkillers used to keep down same are applied.

What im saying is that with laurel if you try keeping it under 5 feet and not very wide it can become branchy so to speak,i never commented on the base etc???,im making an observation from looking at several laurel hedges that can be seen in peoples gardens.Say what you like laurel wants to grow up and out ,and if pruned hard and kept very tight it does go that way,thats why I was suggesting the portugese alternative if keeping it to 5 feet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement