Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag, good value??

Options
  • 31-10-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, me again....sorry to be starting yet another thread on what is essentially the same topic as previously but just to update, i'm in Bahrain for a few weeks on business and have had a look around.

Disappointingly the stop over in Abu Dabbi was so short I couldn't even look never mind price anything so I don't think it will be an option on the way back....

What I'm tempted to do is to pick up an entry level tag to tide me over for the big purchase at the end of the LT assignment in a couple of years. I did a bit of tentative looking around here so far and one which interests me is this one:

http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/watch/caz1110.ft8023_tag_heuer_mens_watches_formula_1_chronograph_(42mm)

I got a quote from a main deal for the equivalent of €900. I previously contacted SWD and they advised £50 for delivery so to compare with this site, that would be about €1070. I'm finding it difficult to find a price online for this from irish retailers but I don't recall seeing any in the shop windows for less than €1400 so i'm thinking this represents decent value. What do folks think? I didn't even have to haggle for that 900 price and the exchange rate is not great (2.4 now compared to about 2 at the start of the year)

Before anyone says 900 for an F1 tag is mad and that there are much better watches out there for that price, I completely agree that there probably are but I've always wanted a tag but not sure i'd spend much more than 1k on one as I'd prefer Breitling/Omega for the 2.5k and up bracket...just think they're a bit more "exclusive"....

I priced a Breitling Avenger II seawolf for the equivalent of about €3.8k and the similar looking but less impressive Colt quartz for about €2.6k...again no haggling as only pricing ATM. Not up to speed on irish prices, how do these compare??

Also made enquiries on omega in same place that does the tags and they say they offer 20% discount but don't advertise this. Found this interesting as i'd be surprised if there was that kind of discount at home.....I think the 44mm (I think) sea master was coming in around €4.6k but I could be wrong as was only half interested at the time.....

Anyway, cheers for the opinions on the above....ultimately i'd like to know if its worth pulling the trigger on the Tag before I finish up here....I tried it on and did like it....its casual and would be more so than the Tissot PRC200 auto which I really like but wouldn't wear casual...

cheers....M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Fyi. The Tag in question is £680 from Iconic though. http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/our-brands/all-brands/tag-heuer.html?dir=asc&order=price which might be negotiable

Ive never heard of the other crowd before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i've only once ever been charged vat on a watch from them and it was because i used dhl instead of an post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Fyi. The Tag in question is £680 from Iconic though. http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/our-brands/all-brands/tag-heuer.html?dir=asc&order=price which might be negotiable

Ive never heard of the other crowd before.

That one seems to be a 41mm....still works out dearer not including delivery.

I see a proposal for creation watches....would people trust this crowd with a watch for that kind of money? They say they ship with all original box and documents but can anyone confirm? I've bought a couple from them before and have been stung for customs but with DHL...have heard before to go with an post option to avoid....

On a general note, how does the "papers" side of things work? I guessing the warranty card doesn't get stamped by the dealer so is it worth the paper its written on or how does that work?

Thanks for the replies to date....

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    That one seems to be a 41mm....still works out dearer not including delivery.

I see a proposal for creation watches....would people trust this crowd with a watch for that kind of money? They say they ship with all original box and documents but can anyone confirm? I've bought a couple from them before and have been stung for customs but with DHL...have heard before to go with an post option to avoid....

On a general note, how does the "papers" side of things work? I guessing the warranty card doesn't get stamped by the dealer so is it worth the paper its written on or how does that work?

Thanks for the replies to date....

creation stamped the book on my last watch but you'd have to contact tag kand say you had a watch that you got from them to see the reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

As far as I am aware a warranty is a warranty regardless of who the seller is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What happens if the original purchaser sells it within a few months of buying it, and there is a 2 year warranty on it, does the warranty still stand with the second buyer? Just curious really.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Tigger wrote: »
    creation stamped the book on my last watch but you'd have to contact tag kand say you had a watch that you got from them to see the reaction

What kind of watch was it that they stamped if you don't mind me asking?I'm guessing a Hamilton of something that they provide the box and papers for as opposed to generic watch box and manual like the couple of seikos I've gotten from them myself previously...

Does your comment suggest that there would be doubts over the authenticity of the tags they sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭893bet

Yes. And you can walk into any AD for warranty issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Where is the best place to buy a tag? Online or a shop. Thinking about treating myself in December and have always fancied one

Anyone bought off authentic watches?

What kind of watch was it that they stamped if you don't mind me asking?I'm guessing a Hamilton of something that they provide the box and papers for as opposed to generic watch box and manual like the couple of seikos I've gotten from them myself previously...

Does your comment suggest that there would be doubts over the authenticity of the tags they sell?
    no issue with authenticity
    last watch was a g-shock everything i've ever got was in a box with manual card etc

The residual value on an F1 new makes me wince. That said I hate the F1. Looks ugly to my eyes at least. Something like an aqua racer I could live with or a link calibre 6.

Given that you seem very unsure of what you actually want them I would look at the second hand market. Join tz-uk for a safe (99% safe) second hand market. For 1500 euros you will have a large choice of different watches to choose from and your resale value is protected when you decide what it is you want. Adverts is also an option but you need to be more careful.

The residual value on an F1 new makes me wince. That said I hate the F1. Looks ugly to my eyes at least. Something like an aqua racer I could live with or a link calibre 6.

Given that you seem very unsure of what you actually want them I would look at the second hand market. Join tz-uk for a safe (99% safe) second hand market. For 1500 euros you will have a large choice of different watches to choose from and your resale value is protected when you decide what it is you want. Adverts is also an option but you need to be more careful.

893bet wrote: »

Cheers for the feedback 893bet....I was never really gone on the F1s before I tried it on but I thought they were nice and casual and would suit what i'm looking for, i.e. casual but with a hint of prestige about it but without a 4 figure price tag.....you are right though, I am unsure....

is it a case that you cant enter the tz-uk buyer market for ages? I remember trying before and couldn't sign up.....I had an aul nosey around chrono24 and there's loads of selection of 2nd hand stuff there....how would that site compare to tz-uk in terms of general prices and reliability of seller?

not 100% sure of buying 2nd hand. to me a watch is personal and with 2nd hand, i'm afraid that it would always feel like someone else's watch....but then lots of people flip watches all the time so maybe its an opportunity to get something good at a discount as my first dip into the better watch brands...I suppose the fact that there's no real sentiment associated with this particular purchase might sway me towards taking a punt....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lads how reliable are the swisswatches direct crowd doesn't anyone know?

Not to worry, just realised it would only cost a little more to pick one up in an Irish jeweller when home next, with the strong UK rate right now.

Ok folks,for those of ye who reckoned I was tire kicker and procrastinator after all my posts talking about buying a nice watch,I finally did it...pulled the trigger on a tag aquaracer 300m chronograph quartz!just arrived today and am delighted with it.priced it in Bahrain in an ad for about 1600 but with white face.wanted it in black as already have white faced tissot chrono so held fire.then creation decided to take 12% off their price for black Friday so jumped at it.came to a grand total of 1367 including customs clearance and links removed.not bad for a watch that retails at 2200 on Paul shearans site.only gripe is they took another couple of percent off for cyber Monday so could have saved another 30 but ibthink it actually sold out after so might have missed out if I held off.I know it's not an AD but with that kind of a discount it was worth the "risk". So the tag has joined the growing stable as the king piece along site the tissot prc200 auto,seiko kinetic,seiko 5 sport auto and g shock mudman...and a few fashion watches we don't talk about...nothing too querky there but I like how the collection is taking shape...on the bucket list is a breitling (avenger or chronomat for example) but after this,we'll probably put that on the very long finger....if I get another itch in the near future a Hamilton khaki pilot off creation has my name written on it!

Posted a picture of it which I hope worked….

371098.JPG

One question, I assume the stamped and dated tag guarantee card that cane with the tag box and instructions isn't worth a $hite from creation?hopefully nothing will go wrong but I assume the only come back would be direct with creation?

Superb! Wear it well!

Look forward to seeing it in the for sale thread!

Superb! Wear it well!

Look forward to seeing it in the for sale thread!

The for sale thread?em, Don't get u,why would I want to sell it?

The for sale thread?em, Don't get u,why would I want to sell it?

I was joking that now you have made the big purchase you think you are finished. For most that is just the beginning of flipping and buying watches!

• Advertisement

I was joking that now you have made the big purchase you think you are finished. For most that is just the beginning of flipping and buying watches!

Ah right,thanks for the well wishes on that case!am tempted to move on a couple of fashion type watches alright but I genuinely don't see myself flipping premium watches...I'm a bit of a hoarder you see!

Oh and I know I'm not finished!I have my bucket list as I say....breitling for next milestone purchase and Hamilton for when I get the next itch....I can see a point in different styles so have a couple of gaps to fill....strangely I have no ambitions towards omega at this point...maybe it's because people fall over themselves with love for them, more so say than breitling...that said,I wouldn't say no to one either!

Advertisement