Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essays, stress, failure and balancing limited time

Options
  • 31-10-2015 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I need help. I don't even know what kind of help I need I just feel like the wheels are coming off again like they did last year and I'm starting to panic. To anyone who is used to researching topics and answering essay questions I bet you think that I'm either hamming it up, lazy or just not doing the work but I swear I'm having panic attacks about how much time I've already put into these assignments and how little I have to show for it. I'm about to spend the third weekend in a row on them and I feel like I could conceivably have nothing to show for it again except exhaustion.

I made no effort in school and got very low points in my leaving cert. That was 15 years ago and now I work full time and I'm just at the start of second year of a four year distance learning degree in business procurement. This year there are 5 modules, each has an essay assignment due in January and a week of final exams in May. There is nothing in the way of ongoing assessment. There are tutorials every 3-4 weeks and virtually nothing else in the way of support.

It was hell on Earth for me last year. I had six modules with 6 essays at this time last year and they nearly killed me. I went on to get pretty mediocre marks and they took until the last minute to get them all done. I am devoid of confidence in essays, mainly because we are pretty much left alone with them between the tutorials and are given little assistance with them apart from tidbits or a small portion of time within the 2 hour tutorial. The only essays I've ever seen are my own. The week ahead I have the evenings after work to prepare for the tutorials next weekend and that means a week away from the assignments.

Virtually everyone else in the class feels the same and what little advice we were/ are getting about them from tutors was pretty irrelevant to me when I'm looking at a blinking cursor and having the course content as a starting point and seeing infinite tangents to explore. There is no physical library to consult. The online library resources (which we only got access to this year) are confusing and seem mostly useless. I've spent days looking on Google Scholar trying to find something useful but most of it is irrelevant or to specific. There are no people to buddy up with as most of the class are nowhere nearby (and frankly, we're still practically strangers to each other).

It just seems like it shouldn't be this difficult. It's level 6. I feel like all the students have articulated in every conceivable way to the college that we are trying to perform the impossible task like asking asking a blind person to paint a portrait from a description alone. I just get no sense of when the assignment question is being answered. Some people got better marks than others and no one know why.

If there is anything that you can think of or any direction you can point me in to get a better idea of how to answer these questions I can't tell you what it will mean to me. I'm starting to give in at this stage. I'm certain that I'm doing a lot wrong and I can't see my way to straightening this out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've been there. Well probably not quite to that extent, but I can fully understand how you feel.

Sitting at my desk right now, it is littered with academic papers, pens, coffee and a very empty writing pad. I have 5000 words to write before Christmas. I have about 250 written.

First things first - get talking to people. I appreciate what you say about the fact that you are strangers, but one thing you can be pretty sure about is that they are most likely going through the same thing. We have e-mail, forums (like Boards.ie), Viber and so on that you can keep in touch with. Does the college have a Moodle or Blackboard page? They have forums (though admittedly, getting people to post on them is a nightmare - I've tried with my fellow students and it has not worked). So get talking - you won't believe how much it helps.

Secondly - be clear on what you have to do. Be clear on the topic of the essays. Be clear on what the lecturers are looking for. Get the detailed marking rubric (every assessment will have a marking rubric to show how the marks are allocated. If they do not, that is a serious concern and one for the institution management). And be clear on what resources are available to you to answer what they are looking for. If you are not clear on what you have to do, you cannot do it.

Third - now that you are talking to people and you are clearer on what you need to do, what resources are available to you? Books, library, online journals and so on. Have you actually gone into the institution and spoken to someone about resources?

Fourth - your learning space. Is it conducive to good learning? Is it bright, comfortable, away from distractions, yet not too far away from people? Do not underestimate the need for a good learning environment. Get yourself a good chair and a good desk, with plenty of lighting. One thing I do is take regular breaks. Every 10-15 mins (that's why I am writing this. I'm on a break. Seriously. :D).

Fifth - the writing. Once you have all your ducks (above) lined in a row, it's time to start shooting. Not everybody likes writing, but it is a necessary evil. I start with headings - usually Intro, body and conclusion. From that I then add further sub-headings and from the sub-headings either more again, or, start writing a line or two. Don't just sit there at the screen, use your time. Do something. If you feel the frustration setting in, walk away. Grab another coffee. Worst case scenario, switch to a different topic/essay. Make sure there is a logical progression of your ideas. Try and get a flow. Look at the big picture, and break it down.

I don't know if any of this helps, but it helped me.

Two other, slightly contradictory points - booze and exercise. Do you get enough exercise? Seriously, it helps, big time. Do you get enough booze? Ok, not serious on that one, but here's something that worked for me. In the evening time, I would come in from work, have a glass or two (absolute max) of wine and start writing. You would be surprised at how effective this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Hey Cantdecide,

EVERYTHING Tom Dunne says above is really good advice.

I finished a degree last year and like yourself it was a good 15 years since I had done my leaving cert.
    I'm doing a postgrad now online and as you say it does regularly feel like you have no support from the institution
    and that every question you ask is answered with a standard sound bite and doesn't seem to relate to you,
    so don't worry on that score- it's not just you, everybody feels that way at times, or in my case so far on this postgrad, pretty much all the time.

1 important thing to remember is 40% is a pass and that is all you really need. When I started the degree I was sure I would be aiming for a 1st, in the end I managed to scrape a 2.1, and from conversations I had with 2 of my lecturers after the fact, it was pretty clear I didn't really deserve it, they just liked me.
    On the postgrad now and I am focussed on passing it, if I get a good grade, great, If I don't and just squeeze a pass that's great too.

I'm sitting in a library now because as Tom Dunne points out above, your learning space is hugely important. You need a nice clean organised learning space, plenty of light and away from distractions, if you don't have that at home, investigate what libraries there are in your area. To put it in context, 1 hour here could be worth as much as 4 at home, simply because it's a different space and if I look around I can see lots of other people stressing about the same issues.

In relation to searching for articles through google scholar or through your institutions databases, this is always very time consuming and very frustrating, you will unfortunately just have to go through the processes again and again until you are more comfortable doing it, I'm only really getting there now. Also remember you almost certainly will not find '"that perfect article that contains exactly what I'm looking for"', you will have to collate information from different sources.
    One site you could look at is www .academia. edu/ , I wouldn't use this for citations or references, but it can be a good place to read more on topics you're researching. You will find a very very mixed bag on here, some are very thoroughly researched and referenced works and others are very poor. But the important part is- when you look at the very very poor articles on here, remember the people who did them a largely people who have qualified and felt that the work was good enough to try and publish it. You'll see that your own work really isn't that bad.

As Tom says above, exercise is truly a wonderful thing for de stressing after you have been studying or even to put you in the right frame of mind before you start. Personally I prefer to run before hand at the weekends, as it clears my head for the day. Time out with friends/family/partner is also important and you mustn't skimp on that either as it will just lead you further into a rut of 'this bloody degree is too much effort, I've no life because of it'.

Lastly( I didn't mean to go on so much), you say it's a 4 year degree, is it possible to leave with a diploma or certificate after 2 years? If it is that could be worth investigating, even if it were just to finish the 2 year diploma and defer for 1 year before completing.
    I am not encouraging you to bail!!! I say this only because it's very easy to slip into the 'I can't see any point in continuing with this, I'll never last 4 years' mentality. you need to plan some 'Light at the end of the tunnel' so to speak.

Hope this is some way helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Reading your advice is just making me realise how disadvantaged I am attempting this course. I have sat here since 9am and have literally achieved a couple of paragraphs of unsubstantiated waffle. My head is splitting and I'm starting to lose my mind.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Sitting at my desk right now, it is littered with academic papers, pens, coffee and a very empty writing pad. I have 5000 words to write before Christmas. I have about 250 written.

I have five assignments at 2000 words each so it feels like 5 battle fronts :(
    First things first - get talking to people.

I'm absolutely certain you're right. However, I spent all of last year trying to create contacts or arrange some kind of mutually beneficial interactions in person or digitally but they all came to nothing. We even failed to appoint a class rep. We are just too disjointed in location, availability and demographic. We do use moodle but it's really just a repository for material. They're rolling out Office 365 but not all of the resources are present yet. They keep talking about Skype conferencing but I just don't think it's a realistic proposition for our group as much as I'd be in favour of pushing for it.
    Secondly - be clear on what you have to do.

This is grand. The one thing the college is good at is making it clear what they want from us. It's the how-do-you-get-there is the difficulty :/
    what resources are available to you? Books, library, online journals and so on. Have you actually gone into the institution and spoken to someone about resources?

The answer is easy. EBSCO and Google Scholar. The institute is in Dublin, I'm in Cork. We have access to Griffith College's library during business hours, effectively. They have offered nothing in the way of support for using online resources so when I try to use them I get psychobabble hence massive swathes of time passing with no results.
    Fourth - your learning space. Is it conducive to good learning?

I'm not too bad here. It's the least of my problems.
    Fifth - the writing. Once you have all your ducks (above) lined in a row, it's time to start shooting. Not everybody likes writing, but it is a necessary evil. I start with headings - usually Intro, body and conclusion. From that I then add further sub-headings and from the sub-headings either more again, or, start writing a line or two. Don't just sit there at the screen, use your time. Do something. If you feel the frustration setting in, walk away. Grab another coffee. Worst case scenario, switch to a different topic/essay. Make sure there is a logical progression of your ideas. Try and get a flow. Look at the big picture, and break it down.

I don't actually mind the waffling once I get going. It's really just the lack of feeling that what I'm writing is useful to answer the question or when I go searching for facts to flesh things out or find a table with some relevant data that hours pass and I'm drowning in irrelevant waffle and no information.
    Two other, slightly contradictory points - booze and exercise.

Lifelong t-totaller but this course could easily drive me to drink. Stay tuned. I do go for regular walks.
    I finished a degree last year and like yourself it was a good 15 years since I had done my leaving cert. I'm doing a postgrad now online and as you say it does regularly feel like you have no support from the institution and that every question you ask is answered with a standard sound bite and doesn't seem to relate to you, so don't worry on that score- it's not just you, everybody feels that way at times, or in my case so far on this postgrad, pretty much all the time.

I have felt exactly this way at every hands turn all of last year and all of this year so far but it's nice to know that I'm not alone. Of course, all of my classmates say the same thing but after every tutorial we all return to our respective lives.

I believe they could or should offer an assignment/ research techniques seminar or even a room for a day for the purpose of brainstorming. It all just boils down to the institute not taking the angst we all appear to be going through over these essays and the blockage to learning they create.

1 important thing to remember is 40% is a pass and that is all you really need. When I started the degree I was sure I would be aiming for a 1st, in the end I managed to scrape a 2.1, and from conversations I had with 2 of my lecturers after the fact, it was pretty clear I didn't really deserve it, they just liked me. On the postgrad now and I am focussed on passing it, if I get a good grade, great, If I don't and just squeeze a pass that's great too.

I'm on the verge of just regurgitating the course materials with a few examples at this stage. I know this will get me a pass and I feel like I'm going to expend 1,000% more energy trying to expand on the course content in an academic fashion.

Lads, thanks for the replies. A part of me is just ranting but I know I'm going to mull over your advice and try to think of ways to make it happen. I'm just under intense pressure in this moment having wasted another day spinning wheels and getting nowhere.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I have five assignments at 2000 words each so it feels like 5 battle fronts

Ok, so here's some advice - spend one period of time on one assignment, rather than jumping between them. I suggest developing a plan:

Day 1 - Morning X, Afternoon Y
    Day 2 - Morning A, Afternoon B
    Day 3 - Morning C, Afternoon X

Or something like that. Flapping around like a fish out of water is only going to further frustrate you - it will be a negative spiral that can be very difficult to get out of.

The key here is to see progress. Some kind of progress. It doesn't sound like you are making any, so we need to work on that.
    I'm absolutely certain you're right. However, I spent all of last year trying to create contacts or arrange some kind of mutually beneficial interactions in person or digitally but they all came to nothing. We even failed to appoint a class rep. We are just too disjointed in location, availability and demographic.

I hear you. As I said, I've been there.

Ok, plan B - can you harass your course tutor/teacher/lecturer? I do. If you have nobody to bounce ideas off, it can be difficult to see alternative perspectives.
    The answer is easy. EBSCO and Google Scholar. The institute is in Dublin, I'm in Cork.

My institute is in the UK, I'm from Ireland and I'm living in the Middle East. :pac:

I don't have much faith in Google Scholar, to be honest, but EBSCO can be a great resource. PM me if you need help with it.
    I don't actually mind the waffling once I get going. It's really just the lack of feeling that what I'm writing is useful to answer the question or when I go searching for facts to flesh things out or find a table with some relevant data that hours pass and I'm drowning in irrelevant waffle and no information.

Ok, to me that is progress - you have identified where the issue is. If I am correct, it is in sourcing the information. In this day of information overflow, it is a problem that I think you can fix. It's just getting that information. See my previous comment above about offering to help with EBSCO.
    Lifelong t-totaller but this course could easily drive me to drink. Stay tuned. I do go for regular walks.

Ok, don't let this turn you to the drink. Turn to the drink over a woman or something substantial, not a feckin' college course.
    I have felt exactly this way at every hands turn all of last year and all of this year so far but it's nice to know that I'm not alone. Of course, all of my classmates say the same thing but after every tutorial we all return to our respective lives.

Does the institution offer any opportunities for feedback? As in, any kind of student surveys? If so, you should vent (in a constructive manner, of course). If not, that's a cause for concern. There should be formal lines of communication for this kind of feedback, it's part of the quality control processes that all institutions should have in place.

Lads, thanks for the replies. A part of me is just ranting but I know I'm going to mull over your advice and try to think of ways to make it happen. I'm just under intense pressure in this moment having wasted another day spinning wheels and getting nowhere.

Look, we all need to rant, it can be quite therapeutic to get it out there.

Just remember the offer to help out - PM me if you feel the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I am devoid of confidence in essays, mainly because we are pretty much left alone with them between the tutorials and are given little assistance with them apart from tidbits or a small portion of time within the 2 hour tutorial. The only essays I've ever seen are my own.
    I just get no sense of when the assignment question is being answered.
    The one thing the college is good at is making it clear what they want from us. It's the how-do-you-get-there is the difficulty :/

That is in essence the difference between second level and third level - you are required to think for yourself. Nobody is going to hold your hand and tell you what to write and when to write it, you have to figure these things out by yourself.

You're given a topic - formulate your own essay on that topic given the guidelines. It's answered when you feel it's answered (within the word limit). As you said, they've already made it clear what they want from you.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but forming your own thoughts on subjects is the main point of third level education.
    Virtually everyone else in the class feels the same and what little advice we were/ are getting about them from tutors was pretty irrelevant to me when I'm looking at a blinking cursor and having the course content as a starting point and seeing infinite tangents to explore.
    see:above. It's up to you to figure out how to interpret the topic. Tutors really aren't there to spoon feed you like teachers did at secondary school. In fact if they did, it's actually counter productive as then you'll never learn how to think for yourself - if you want to succeed you're going to have to rid yourself of that mentality entirely.
    There is no physical library to consult. The online library resources (which we only got access to this year) are confusing and seem mostly useless. I've spent days looking on Google Scholar trying to find something useful but most of it is irrelevant or to specific. There are no people to buddy up with as most of the class are nowhere nearby (and frankly, we're still practically strangers to each other).

Physical libraries vary in their usefulness depending on what department you're in anyway - so don't let that hold you back.

The big problem here sounds like you've got issues in how to address the essays. You don't know how to answer something that's open-ended, and this is following through into your endless and aimless online resource searching.

Secondly - be clear on what you have to do. Be clear on the topic of the essays. Be clear on what the lecturers are looking for. Get the detailed marking rubric (every assessment will have a marking rubric to show how the marks are allocated. If they do not, that is a serious concern and one for the institution management). And be clear on what resources are available to you to answer what they are looking for. If you are not clear on what you have to do, you cannot do it.

This is key to the OP. He really needs to figure out and define what he's writing.
    Fourth - your learning space. Is it conducive to good learning? Is it bright, comfortable, away from distractions, yet not too far away from people? Do not underestimate the need for a good learning environment. Get yourself a good chair and a good desk, with plenty of lighting. One thing I do is take regular breaks. Every 10-15 mins (that's why I am writing this. I'm on a break. Seriously. :D).

This depends entirely on the person tbh. Your writing space needs to be whatever is most productive to you writing. Whatever or wherever you are most productive at writing - that's where you spend your time when you need to write. Some people like libraries because of the clean space and silence, yet the lack of distraction and motivation to do work while in the space. While the OP may not have access to a physical library of resources - public libraries provide the same environment. But - if you work well at home, then that's where you need to be.

Personally I've found that I can churn out words in cafés. Grab a coffee and get to work..

Regarding time spent writing - again it's probably a personal thing, but during my M.Sc. we had a guest lecture on scientific writing from a retired academic. His advice was that there's almost like an inverse law of diminishing returns when writing. If you have 1 hour to write - it's probably not worth your while, because by the time you get back into your writing 'mojo' and back to where you left off, you'll write maybe a few sentences and then your time is up. That hour is better spent preparing to write. The more time you have to spend writing - the more you will actually get done.

You need a long period of undisturbed time to get any significant writing done. If you're in a flow of writing - do not stop writing! If you hit a brick wall, then take a break and come back to it.

Essentially what Tom has already said:
    I start with headings - usually Intro, body and conclusion. From that I then add further sub-headings and from the sub-headings either more again, or, start writing a line or two. Don't just sit there at the screen, use your time. Do something. If you feel the frustration setting in, walk away. Grab another coffee. Worst case scenario, switch to a different topic/essay. Make sure there is a logical progression of your ideas. Try and get a flow. Look at the big picture, and break it down.

There's also another reason for doing this though. The blank page. It is the most soul destroying and counter productive thing to look at for any writer. At all costs - you need to put anything down on the page so it looks less barren.

In Science the easy way around this is to start with the "methods" section as it's all factual, past tense and requires little to no actual thought. If you can find the equivalent easy to write section/paragraph for your essays and start there it should help.

The one last piece of advice I got that was immensely useful is the word blah. Sometimes whilst writing you don't hit a brick wall, you hit more of a "word wall" - where you can't think of the right word to use for what you want to say. If you let it, it will very easily turn into 10 minutes of starting at where that one word is supposed to go and then you're stuck in a rut, all progress has stopped and your day of writing is down the swannie.

This is where blah comes in. If you can't think of the word - put in a "blah" in its space and then keep writing. Finish the rest of what you were already writing and just keep going. You can always come back to it later and fix it later or another day, in fact when you re-read it you'll probably instantly remember the word you wanted. The main point of the blah is that you do not stop writing to obsess over putting the perfect word in its place, in the process derailing the entire thought train.
    Ok, so here's some advice - spend one period of time on one assignment, rather than jumping between them. I suggest developing a plan:

Day 1 - Morning X, Afternoon Y
    Day 2 - Morning A, Afternoon B
    Day 3 - Morning C, Afternoon X

Or something like that. Flapping around like a fish out of water is only going to further frustrate you - it will be a negative spiral that can be very difficult to get out of.

Forming a plan is a great idea, but too much hopping between topics makes it difficult to stay focused. The Op has until January which is at least 2 months. That's a huge amount of time if used properly.

• Advertisement

I appreciate the help folks.

I'm really only now starting to get the sense that I'm free to colour outside the lines now which is great. I suppose I've been trying to make sure I've answered the question entirely but being constrained by word count, time and by kind of believing that there's a correct answer or laundry list of items I need to cover, which is kind of what's been stressing me.

My feelings, in one sentence, have been 'there are so many angles and slants, how will I ever get it all captured, understood and summarised cohesively and backed up' in 2000w, but I'm only starting to get that focusing on the most pertinent points and tipping my cap to less important points is the way to go.

I'm starting to see that where the questions are broad which is giving me the scope to wander down specific paths of my choice and nominate the things I wish to discuss, assuming I can back up what I'm asserting.

In my defense, however, I will say one thing;
    ...but during my M.Sc. we had a guest lecture on scientific writing from a retired academic.

I bet you found that useful!!

I plan on requesting the college consider providing some kind of 'basic -research tools and techniques and essay writing' type seminar for noobs even if it's just an informal morning in a room somewhere with a suitable tutor- it's probably too late for us and I do feel like I'm starting to get into some kind of rhythm in terms of figuring out a brief, researching it efficiently and then going for it. Discussing a few examples of 'good' essays would be useful.

I do think it's hard to get academics to come down to our level to try and help with the pain of uncertainty. I mean suggesting some basic approaches to things like how to use the resources available efficiently and also sharing the kinds of things that you've been imparting to me on the thread here. I think as part time distance learners, we need to avoid being disadvantaged.

Thanks again. I do appreciate the suggestions and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

There are many different types of academic writing so try to get your hands on well written essays or assignments in your field and examine their structure. Even go as far as estimate what percentage of the word count is assigned to each section.
    When addressing different sections, in a way it's like preparing slides on a Powerpoint presentation. People dont want to be swamped with text. You need to be ruthless and say to yourself what's my point?
    If you find a good essay look at the references. They are a clue as to where to find related material. Type them into Google and you'll find essays that have also used these sources.
    Your introduction and conclusion are vital. I always leave the intro until the end. It sets the scene. It's hard to write this if you haven't discovered where you're going with your work. In the conclusion it's not enough to summarise. You have to show some kind of critical thinking....question yourself. Pretend your a lecturer and you delivered this to your class. You ask does anyone have any observations?? This is where the smart people pipe up and say what they've noticed!
    Apologies if you find this unhelpful. I've studied in a number of subjects and colleges. Mostly distance!! Best of luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm doing an online Masters at the moment, and apart from the odd phone call/email, have had no interaction in three years with lecturers and aside from friend also doing the same course, no students.

One thing I have found about assignments is that they are about your ability to take the question the essay is about, and apply your own critical thinking to it, and make your argument and back it up with references

I had an assignment recently which asked us to do a 2000 word essay on A recent article on requirements acquisition was entitled: “Why don’t users tell you what they want?”

What is the answer?

My essay started with the following:
    Perhaps the question should be “Are we asking the right questions/using the right techniques in eliciting requirements from users”? Furthermore, are we preparing adequately to understand who we should be involving, what type of knowledge needs to be harvested, and how will we validate that we have gathered the right requirements?

and then went on to expand on the point, and to use references etc to back up the argument etc.

It was good enough for a B- and tbh, it was a lazy assignment on my part.

One thing I always do, is give myself a bit of time to absorb the topic of the assignment, roll it around in my head driving into work etc, have a think about what my opinion is on it, see can I compound that into a valid argument, and then start formulating my answer.

Then I start doing my research, once I've sketched out my main points, and then I start dealing with the different elements of the essay if that makes any sense?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh btw, I've three months to finish my research, and write a 15000 word dissertation :D

I plan on requesting the college consider providing some kind of 'basic -research tools and techniques and essay writing' type seminar for noobs even if it's just an informal morning in a room somewhere with a suitable tutor- it's probably too late for us and I do feel like I'm starting to get into some kind of rhythm in terms of figuring out a brief, researching it efficiently and then going for it. Discussing a few examples of 'good' essays would be useful.

I don't think they should consider, they absolutely must do this.

There are two issues at play here - academic writing and research skills. Both of these take time to hone and perfect.

Research skills, in addition to evaluative skills are key. Once you find something, how do you know its relevant? How would you compare this paper to that one, especially when you are looking for something to back up your argument? The question of bias is also important - what's the agenda of the author? Could you compare, say, research from a union to research on a similar topic from a reputable university? I've seen a number of papers on particular piece of software and how great this software is with kids and many more spurious claims, written and sponsored by software manufacturer. One particular paper springs to mind that utterly decimates the claims of the company with a proper, methodologically sound RCT (randomised controlled trial).

Academic writing is another one. They key there is to be dispassionate, unemotive and factual. Opinions based on fact are acceptable, wild accusations are not. Also look for what the standard is in writing in your field. Some disciplines use APA referencing (Dunne, 2015), whereas others I have seen use square brackets [1] or even superscript numbers. It's important to get that right too. I would say that at Level 6, around 8-10 references would probably suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

A method I've found really helps me make the most of my time is to focus early on a direction for the essay/assignment.

stick to bullet points for the first study session or two, write down ideas for directions to go.
    Use the next session to develop a structure, approaching the topic from the fundamental/basic concepts, introducing the more complex ideas and leading it to your conclusion.
    Once you have that structure in front of you, it will be much easier to track down the articles/journals/references you need.
    Don't get hung up on your word count out of a study session, much better to spend 2 hours with a highlighter and jotter and confirm your direction and key points, the writing comes easier once you understand exactly what you are trying to explain or say.
    Much as a painter will sketch out the overall picture, then go back in and bulk out the main bodies, then go back and fill in details at the end.
    Essay writing is a tricky craft, but having that structure in place will help keep that rising panic away.

I would agree that hopping around subjects is counter-productive, I try to focus and work hard on 1 per day at most, spending 1-2 hours each evening/night on each subject, then prioritizing the weekend work by one of two criteria:
    1. Can I get a topic or task completed....DO that one
    2. Am I behind time-wise on a topic or task.....do that one

If I am moving onto a second subject for the day, I take a good long break between the two and try and do something that will kick some endorphins into the system to restart with a fresh clean slate.

You have to manage the associations in your head between deadlines and negativity, it is very counter-productive. It's fine to care about it and feel pressure, but when that becomes stressful it eats away at the benefits and you end up dreading the hard work.

Spend some time focusing on the positive outcomes, look forward to completing it, but above all else set realistic goals. Unrealistic goals will put you on the back foot.

Have you enough time to commit ?
    How can you make better use of the time you have ?

I've found that the lecturing/teaching staff will be blissfully unaware of the situation you are in, unless you are communicating this to them. If that means getting earlier access to course material so you can spread your time better, then ask. If you are having issues in home life that are impacting your study time, let them know. It's their job to help, and if they don't see it that way, elevate the matter.

I hated this about third level in Ireland, help was hard to find and reluctantly given. Where I am studying now, there are multiple feedback platforms from all participants, and the course material is for the most part accessible from week one, with the tutorials to follow, and all recorded and accessible.

I hope you get back on top of it.

All the best.

@AngryHippie;

Thanks for all of that. There's a lot of practical, useful suggestions there which is really what I need to keep moving forward. I can see how your suggestions will be useful to me.

As regards addressing the issues with tutors or staff at the institute, I'm afraid we've already bitched and whinged ad nauseum. The tutors are all part timers themselves so kind of have one arm tied behind their backs. As I said above, I am going to approach the institute with a very specific request for help for the class. I'm sure it's hard for them to imagine anyone struggling at this level but I'm going to see if I can get some thoughts on the idea of a seminar.

Advertisement