Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Beech Hedge

Options
  • 30-10-2015 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a mature beech hedge to the front of my house which is now about 14 foot tall. I never really intended it to be that high but I do realise now that I need to bring it back down to about 5 to 6 foot at least. Would this kill the hedge by taking off that much now in the 1 go ? If not, I was wondering should I go at it with a chainsaw or just get in someone with a tractor and one of those circular blade thingys ? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Tractor-mounted blade would probably be safer, but also probably rougher cut than a chainsaw. Working a chain saw at head height could be dangerous.
    Hedge will recover in time.
    Depends also on how much of it you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A Beech hedge deserves some respect. I have one but have maintained it over the years. Do not use a circular saw on it ffs. If you have a chainsaw and know how to use it safely then the cuts will be much better than a circular saw. If not a pull-saw will take time. and be more precise, but you will still have somthing asthetically pleasing to look at when you have Finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you want a rough farm hedge then trim it with farm tools but if you want a garden hedge then you use garden tools.

You will need to take the main stems back to below 5-6ft if that is the final height you want.

Beech doesn't like being cut back hard so on the sides you should cut back to the last bud on each side branch and if/when it shoots from nearer in then you can repeat the process until its the width it should be. Could take a few years to get there.

To make it look good its a slow hand process at every stage, I wouldn't even use shears on it if you are reducing the width, use secateurs and choose each cut carefully - slow job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

my3cents wrote: »
    I wouldn't even use shears on it if you are reducing the width, use secateurs and choose each cut carefully - slow job.

gardener after my own heart, I do my beech hedge with sacatures in winter and love the green waterfall effect it creates in spring with the new growth.

Advertisement