Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives for laptop - €700 budget

Options
  • 29-10-2015 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new laptop as the current one, a 4 year old Dell XPS15 L502x, has developed a keyboard fault. I'm sourcing a replacement keyboard, but I'm looking at a replacement, in case I'm not a tech repair genius.

I'm out of the loop in terms of the latest tech, so I'd appreciate any advice.

The model I'm looking at is a Dell Inspiron 5000 that I might be able to get for about €700, so that's what I'm looking to spend. Mobility isn't an issue.

I've always leaned towards dedicated graphics cards on laptops, but I don't use laptops for heavy graphics work or gaming, so I think I could step down to an Intel integrated graphics, unless there's a significant performance issue.

Would I just be better off maxing out the processor, RAM and HDD/SSD, at the expense of the dedicated graphics, or are there much benefits to the dedicated graphics card if I don't game or use it for CAD or coding?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The graphics card wont make any difference. The biggest benefit to any laptop in terms of speed is having an SSD. It may be cheaper to buy one on Amazon and fit it yourself however...

I'm pretty sure that graphics card isn't the greatest in the world anyway, probably not a million miles away from the integrated card. If you're not gaming, or doing anything like that then you just wont notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have a look here, you can even drop the OS if you have a Windows licence and save money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

The graphics card wont make any difference. The biggest benefit to any laptop in terms of speed is having an SSD. It may be cheaper to buy one on Amazon and fit it yourself however...

I'm pretty sure that graphics card isn't the greatest in the world anyway, probably not a million miles away from the integrated card. If you're not gaming, or doing anything like that then you just wont notice a difference.

Yeah, I couldn't find many reviews of the card anywhere, so I was sceptical. I don't have much experience of the integrated cards, but I don't game, so they're probably enough for what I'm looking for.

I had an SSD upgrade in the pipeline for my current XPS laptop, but I still have a replacement keyboard to fit, so the SSD upgrade might happen next year at my current pace.
    Skerries wrote: »
    have a look here, you can even drop the OS if you have a Windows licence and save money

I'll have a look over that for a comparison. Thanks for that. My credit card might not thank you though.

Advertisement