Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contract work

Options
  • 29-10-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there.

I was just wondering if anyone has info/experience/advice regarding fixed term contracts.

My situation is: I was given a 10 month contract through an agency to work for an employer. My 10 months has finished now and they have extended the contract by 4 months.

So I'm wondering what options will I have when the extension ends. My supervisor has assured me he is trying his best to get me a permanent contract with the company but cannot promise anything.

Is there any obligations/laws/rules for the company to employ me full time after the extension or can they just offer me another extension for whatever months

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You can work on fixed term contracts for up to four years, after which an employer has to give you a contract of unlimited duration.

Are you being paid by the agency or the employer?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/fixed_term_or_specified_purpose_contracts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah okay, thanks for the link and info.

So pretty much they can keep offering contract extensions? Any idea why the would only offer 4 months extension at a time?

I'm currently being paid by the agency, does that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There is usually a fee to be paid to the agency if they want to hire you permanently ,so they will only incur this charge if they are 100% confident they need the role for a sustained period of time.

As to why 4 months , they probably have some more information that will be available in the next 4 months that will enable them to make a decision about you long term.

This could be the situation about an employee on leave returning , a contract with a client due for renewal etc.

I know some companies have a policy that a % of workforce must be temporary to allow for flexing costs with Demand

• Registered Users Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ah okay, thanks for the link and info.

So pretty much they can keep offering contract extensions? Any idea why the would only offer 4 months extension at a time?

I'm currently being paid by the agency, does that make a difference?

If the sum of your extensions reaches four years, then you become a permanent employee - of the agency not of their client.

The client can still end the contract with little notice, the only difference is that agency need to make you redundant.

Advertisement