Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations on new 4k UHD TV (Budget €1,400)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    HI,

JUst wondering if anyone has any recommendations of UHD TV.

Budget: €1,400
    Model pref: Samsung

I've been looking at a few and here they are, which would you recommend?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/sony-55-led-tv-kd55x8509cbu.html (Bit over budget) but has free soudbar worth €400

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-55-led-tv-ue55ju6410uxxu.html

What you think

BobbyT28

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

My previous TV was a Sony. I was totally underwhelmed. Current Samsung 55" curved 4k is a joy. Don't use 3D too often but it is miles ahead of the what the Sony was.

Pairs with my Samsung phones and tablets without a problem. I purchase a movie on Google Play and am streaming to the TV in a few minutes.

Same with displaying phone/tablet screen on TV. Easy peasy. Movies, pictures, YouTube etc all diaplayed without a problem.

I currently run Netflix, Amazon Prime TV, Hulu Plus and YouTube directly from the TV.
    I just purchased a Samsung M5 bluetooth speaker for this as well.

Am totally happy with TV, only reason i may change is for a larger screen.

I would suggest taking a look at PowerCity as well. They can always ask for discount from HQ and I've always found them a pleasure to deal with.

Not everything may be displayed on the sales floor, so check stock online, take note of the product code and ask for it if ready to purchase. And remember, they will price match other outlets or may give a discount if you ask for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Can you give me your Advise on which one of these I should go for

€1,249
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-55-led-tv-ue55ju6400kxxu.html

€999
    http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/samsung-ue50ju6800-smart-ultra-hd-4k-50-led-tv/333509/397.0.2#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Was leaning to the first.one but is there much off a difference between the two apart from price and size

Thanks
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you give me your Advise on which one of these I should go for

€1,249
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-55-led-tv-ue55ju6400kxxu.html

€999
    http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/samsung-ue50ju6800-smart-ultra-hd-4k-50-led-tv/333509/397.0.2#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Was leaning to the first.one but is there much off a difference between the two apart from price and size

Thanks
    BobbyT28

Hey Bobby,

Don't know if you've ordered... avoid Currys like the plague and I don't say that litely. I recently ordered the Samsung one (Cyber Monday). They don't have the stock and will be weeks before they do. Given such a run around and nightmare to deal with. Eventually cancelled order and just went to Harveys... better deal and walked out with item I wanted there and then. Still waiting on refund from Currys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

My recommendation is this, before you buy a 4K TV, wait until there is at least content available from more than Netflix and a few sparse other places, it has become the standard, and TV channels are actually broadcasting in it. Save the money or purchase a good value TV to get you to that point, and then when you do get a 4K TV, the technology will have moved on somewhat, prices will have dropped, and you will be getting a better quality TV for your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dusf wrote: »
    My recommendation is this, before you buy a 4K TV, wait until there is at least content available from more than Netflix and a few sparse other places, it has become the standard, and TV channels are actually broadcasting in it. Save the money or purchase a good value TV to get you to that point, and then when you do get a 4K TV, the technology will have moved on somewhat, prices will have dropped, and you will be getting a better quality TV for your money.

You can'y wait around all the time as technology moves all the time. I would imagine by the time 4k becomes standard tv that 8k or 16k TVs will have been developed.

To follow your logic then none of us should have HD TV's as it's still not the standard for all stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

murpho999 wrote: »
    You can'y wait around all the time as technology moves all the time. I would imagine by the time 4k becomes standard tv that 8k or 16k TVs will have been developed.

To follow your logic then none of us should have HD TV's as it's still not the standard for all stations.

No, that is not my logic. For years we have all had HD TVs when that was what was being broadcast, and 4K TVs were not available.

Plainly said, it is stupid to spend money on a 4K TV right now unless you only ever watch Netflix, not the BBC iPlayer or live broadcast etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

dusf wrote: »
    No, that is not my logic. For years we have all had HD TVs when that was what was being broadcast, and 4K TVs were not available.

Plainly said, it is stupid to spend money on a 4K TV right now unless you only ever watch Netflix, not the BBC iPlayer or live broadcast etc.

I fully agree with you,same happened with Full HD and 3D.How many titles in 3D and where/how has it gone dead,where are all the lying ads for the 3D content future TV experience !??
    Is only marketing words to get you in the consumer recycle buying cycle.
    Money for them,so that they can test the "technical specs" and move to next one...

Personal,if ever I'm looking at a new TV,i will go with the best screen in Full HD as a screen quality,performance and warranty AND add a smart TV functionality as secondarily & forcible option:be it internal,built-in TV (see Panasonic and LG with latest TV_OS options) or external with a HTPC / Android Box or a Enigma2 satellite receiver.

I've bought 4 years ago best Panasonic Plasma of the year and now there is no support on the Smart TV application...dead,no updates for at least 1-2 years. It was the best plasma of the year but crap on the smart apps side. Is the best plasma but supported by external smarter more up-to-date and supported by manufacturer and/or open community devices.

Whatever option will go for...enjoy the shopping ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm looking for a new TV too, or rather I should say a new display. I have a Windows based HTPC that takes care of all my source needs (dual DVB-S2, DVB-T and Internet based) so all I actually want is a large high-quality display with 2 or 3 HDMI inputs. I've no need for media capabilities, any kind of tuner or any "smart" features that'll be out of date before the display is, but sadly unless I'm prepared to go for "professional" displays costing an arm or a leg, or smaller displays aimed at the PC monitor market, I appear to be out of luck.

Advertisement