Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling New Job about Pervious Sick leave

Options
  • 29-10-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have to meet HR before starting a new job, do I have to tell them about sick leave in my previous job?
    I was off sick for one month in my last job, it was due to a situation in the job and I was off with stress. During this time I claimed social welfare sick pay as my employer didn't pay for sick leave. It was the only time I was off in 11 years there.
    My old employer won't mention it if asked during a reference and I would prefer not to say anything about it. The new job is a different industry and the stress from the old job is why I am seeking a new position.
    Would the sick pay show up on my p45 or somewhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

It will be included on your P45, there is a section where Illness Benefit included in the pay figures.

Just tell them you dont have a P45, get their PAYE reference and ring Revenue yourself to get your credits assigned to them. You will also need your PPS number when you call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Work Question

Would it be normal enough not to have a p45? Is there a typical reason for not having a p45?

Sorry this is all very new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Would it be normal enough not to have a p45? Is there a typical reason for not having a p45?

Sorry this is all very new to me.

I only get them for not even half my new staff and we get a lot of new staff! No issue at all, just make the call! Good luck with your new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If it does come up in conversation just acknowledge you were out for a short period but that its not an ongoing issue.

I'd not lie and deny it but equally they shouldn't ask you directly what the issue was..

Keep it casual and brief giving the feeling that its done and dusted..

Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Work Question

Yeah I don't want to lie but seen its a meeting with HR I'm sure "off sick" will be one of their first questions.
    I've heard of people losing a job because they lied to HR and I know it wasn't for major things like lying about qualifications, so this has me worried.

If I was completely honest would a time off work with a stress related illness look back and could it cost me a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yeah I don't want to lie but seen its a meeting with HR I'm sure "off sick" will be one of their first questions.
    I've heard of people losing a job because they lied to HR and I know it wasn't for major things like lying about qualifications, so this has me worried.

If I was completely honest would a time off work with a stress related illness look back and could it cost me a job?

I don't really know how far they can push on why without having a medical professional actually doing the review. I certainly wouldn't be divulging it to some joe soap in a HR position, I'd probably say it was"a very private issue" and is 100% sorted now. I think this would dissuade them from inquiring any further.
    It would be more important to speak confidently about it and not seem under pressure by the topic..

I interviewed for years for a MN here and in no way would we stray into these areas as it would be a legal minefield.

What ever you do don't lie anyway. Even if you get past the interview it will be hanging out there that if its found out you're liable to be dismissed. Why leave one stressful position to create another !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

in 11 years you had to take one month off,thats nothing.people take many more days in so many years,dont sweat it and if it comes up theres 100s reasons people need time off.And it was covered by SW so its not like you were piggy bagging on your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawney

I would advocate telling them, i was off work sick for 6 months and was dreading revealing that on my starter form for HR in my new role in case the job offer was withdrawn. There was no need to worry though, I was asked to attend an occupational therapy meeting with a doctor (work organise this) and was signed off as being fit and healthy for work.
    If I'd not said anything and the same issue arose again, then I could be dismissed, so why risk it?

I know 6 months is much longer than you had to take, but I think the same principal applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would not tell them, if this is close between you and another candidate why take the risk on somebody who told you of a history of long term sick !

and as an aside I would edit the OP title !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

better off telling them no point in starting out holding something back.. They will like you more for being honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Milly33 wrote: »
    better off telling them no point in starting out holding something back.. They will like you more for being honest
    Terrible advice, OP is talking about an employer not marrying their soulmate.

Tell them nothing you don't have to, its none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Thargor wrote: »
    Terrible advice, OP is talking about an employer not marrying their soulmate.

Tell them nothing you don't have to, its none of their business.

Absolutely correct answer, also you only need a P45 to avoid paying emergency tax in your new job. Just give your new employer your rsi number.

Advertisement