Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Forum Feedback 2015

Options
  • 29-10-2015 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So it's about time we reach out to you guys and ask for any thoughts or ideas you might have in terms of this forum, & how we might improve it. It can't have escaped your attention that this forum has gone quiet...very quiet (which might seem apt given the subject matter but it's not really :D). Quite some time can pass between posts, days & weeks even, and that's not good...so we need to take a look at the forum, its structure, and its strengths and limits...to see where we can improve things. Some ideas so far, & where we'd like to take the forum in terms of direction:

1) We'd like to expand the walls of the forum a little, and rather than focusing purely on the paranormal, we'd like to bring in all things 'creepy' too (creepy in the ghostly sense, not the likes of cold blooded killers etc). This might bring in new users, and give us more things to talk about.

2) The forum structure is quite segregative, we have the main Paranormal forum, then we have Mysteries of the Unexplained, and the Sceptics Corner also as two subforums. While the main Paranormal forum is very quiet, these two subforums are much worse - they're dead in fact, with often months between single posts. We'd like to get rid of these as separate forums, and integrate them into the main Paranormal forum (this ties into the expansion of the forum from point 1 above). Mysteries of the Unexplained often shares many ideas and discussions with the main paranormal forum anyway, so they're closely linked. In order to maintain a sceptical tone then for sceptics in the main Paranormal forum, they will have the option of using a thread tag for any new threads, e.g. [Sceptic] will be placed before the thread name. We can clarify rules etc then in the charter if needs be.

3) Thread tags - as mentioned above re the [Sceptic] tag...we can also introduce other tags to better delineate between subjects. For instance, if we're to assimilate the Mysteries forum into the main Paranormal forum...we can then have a [Mystery] tag for those kinds of threads, or [Creepy] for creepy/scary ones etc. They'd be optional, but would give some choice to people creating new threads.

So any thoughts or further ideas folks? We'd appreciate any you might have (constructive feedback only please). So rather than diluting the content here for a more mainstream audience, we simply propose to increase the scope...so everyone can use the forum and get what they'd like out of it...hardcore paranormal enthusiasts, sceptics, and those with a passing interest...we'd like to see everyone use the forum:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So long as it's not a return to the way it was prior to the introduction of the skeptics corner. As it is now, people being pointed to the SC by other posters because they have a genuine question or something which may seem skeptical is detrimental to discussion. There is a healthy balance between the two, i think the mods can achieve that given enough attention and patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As it is now, people being pointed to the SC by other posters because they have a genuine question or something which may seem skeptical is detrimental to discussion.

Fully agree, what we currently have is not the best solution really. A more inclusive forum would really increase the odds of decent conversation.
    There is a healthy balance between the two, i think the mods can achieve that given enough attention and patience.

The modding is the key here, I'd agree. If it's to work, there has to be a more pro-active stance against trolling, and taking the pee etc. A friendly and respectful environment where hardened experts & newcomers alike can converse would be the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think the tag idea would work. use 'skeptical' for the more skeptical posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I agree that the amalgamating all sub-forums into one with the suggested tags should work. My only concern is with genuine people having genuine questions that some sceptics as well as some other users can get quite 'aggressive' in defending their ideas/suggestions in replies so there would need to be a bit of an eye kept on the new forum layout in the beginning until users get where crossing the line is on certain topics as it will ultimately just drive away new users or existing users if they feel they can't be open on the 'genuine' question type topics.

Ziycon wrote: »
    I agree that the amalgamating all sub-forums into one with the suggested tags should work. My only concern is with genuine people having genuine questions that some sceptics as well as some other users can get quite 'aggressive' in defending their ideas/suggestions in replies so there would need to be a bit of an eye kept on the new forum layout in the beginning until users get where crossing the line is on certain topics as it will ultimately just drive away new users or existing users if they feel they can't be open on the 'genuine' question type topics.

Absolutely, and that ties in with degrassinoels point above - the key to making this work here will be the moderation stance. I agree that lambasting someone for believing in what they believe in is way out of order, and we intend on stamping out any intolerance that may currently exist. In saying that, there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy discussion and debate between viewpoints (heck, that would be great to read really), but there must be a mutual respect for individual beliefs etc.

• Advertisement

Will probably push ahead with these changes soon then if there are no objections

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I only noticed this today. :) What is the tag for non skeptic threads? Or will there be one?

Oryx wrote: »
    I only noticed this today. :) What is the tag for non skeptic threads? Or will there be one?

I was going on the basis that the default tone of threads will be general paranormal, much like they already are here...and if someone wants to expressly change that, it is at that point they can use a tag. We could always throw in a [General] tag, but given the majority of the threads won't be from a sceptical standpoint (going by the traffic in the sceptics corner), there doesn't seem much need to differentiate non sceptic stuff. Though we're open to discussion on that...:)

And a Reader tag of some sort? I think if the tag think were worked out it could be really useful.

And a Reader tag of some sort? I think if the tag think were worked out it could be really useful.

How do you mean a reader tag? :o

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    How do you mean a reader tag? :o

I presume you are hoping to absorb the psychics sub forum too. Given that those threads are either reviews of readers or requests for contact info, shouldn't they be tagged as such?

I presume you are hoping to absorb the psychics sub forum too. Given that those threads are either reviews of readers or requests for contact info, shouldn't they be tagged as such?

Oh right, no, no plans to absorb that forum as the subject matter and 'flow' of that forum are grand as they are. We don't want to overload the main forum either and make it a big mess for readers, so we'll likely keep the Psychics forum as is, and a subforum of this main Paranormal forum. We might look over the Psychics forum to see if it needs any work/help, but it'll likely stay separate

Myrddin wrote: »
    Oh right, no, no plans to absorb that forum as the subject matter and 'flow' of that forum are grand as they are. We don't want to overload the main forum either and make it a big mess for readers, so we'll likely keep the Psychics forum as is, and a subforum of this main Paranormal forum. We might look over the Psychics forum to see if it needs any work/help, but it'll likely stay separate
    Its a very unproductive forum. It's main traffic is 'has anyone got a number for xxxx?' from new posters.

Its a very unproductive forum. It's main traffic is 'has anyone got a number for xxxx?' from new posters.

It's a forum that admittedly I've not paid much attention to, but for sure we'll check it out & see if improvements can be made. I think though it'll stay where it is for now, best to do these things in stages as we can properly evaluate then what is & isn't working. For sure though, we'll have a look at the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Sorry to say but my recent experiences of posting asking for genuine feedback on here for something that really happened at my house, followed by a tirade of "smart" asses who critiqued more about the location of my phone than contributing anything helpful at all, puts me right off this forum.

I got a couple of good, helpful and non-judgemental answers, but the rest was pure and utter sh|t from wanna-be comedians. I treat this forum with respect, as I believe that it needs that for a healthy debate, but it's obvious there is mean-spiritedness and not of the other worldly variety that just makes me now not want to bother posting up anything here.

screamer wrote: »
    Sorry to say but my recent experiences of posting asking for genuine feedback on here for something that really happened at my house, followed by a tirade of "smart" asses who critiqued more about the location of my phone than contributing anything helpful at all, puts me right off this forum.

I got a couple of good, helpful and non-judgemental answers, but the rest was pure and utter sh|t from wanna-be comedians. I treat this forum with respect, as I believe that it needs that for a healthy debate, but it's obvious there is mean-spiritedness and not of the other worldly variety that just makes me now not want to bother posting up anything here.

That kind of nonsense just won't be tolerated going forward, so if you have it in you to give the forum a second chance, stay put :) We'll be encouraging discussion, but comedic non-constructive nonsense will just end up producing warnings/infractions here-in.

So we've put these changes into effect folks. Mysteries of the Unexplained and the Sceptics Corner have now been rolled into this main forum, and we've added [TAGS] to enable users to read & use the forum comfortably. The forum has also been renamed to 'Paranormal, Creepy & Mysterious', which gives a better impression of the now wider remit we've given the forum.

The charter has been redone, and just tightened up a little so if you fancy a read over that feel free, and as always, if any of you have further ideas for improvement etc by all means we'd love to hear them :)
    Its a very unproductive forum [Psychics & Mediums]. It's main traffic is 'has anyone got a number for xxxx?' from new posters.

Will take a look at that forum over the next few days or so. Initially, it definitely looks like it could be better set up!

Ok, we've had a look at the Psychics & Mediums forum...indeed, it is an unproductive and under utilised forum to say the least. By far and away, the most common type of post in it is a request via pm for contact details, and that's essentially it. I think most of us can probably concede that there's a better way of handling the subject than that. My initial feeling is to:

1) Bring it all together under one roof. If we closed the Psychics & Medium forum (obviously saving all the content and moving it to this forum), we could create a brand new thread in this forum that handles any & all requests for Psychic or Medium contact information. Rather than spreading requests like "can you pm me x's number", we would instead be consolidating all of these requests in one thread. This keeps things focused and centralised for users, who will know exactly where to post when looking for numbers etc.

2) We then create another thread in this forum, for any and all discussion of psychics and mediums as a discussion topic (no requests for numbers etc). Here, users could discuss their experiences, their viewpoints, etc on the topic itself, and from that perhaps a new discussion can be born.

3) We add a [Psychic/Medium] tag, so users can create threads on the topic if they wish to...but by looking at the existing discussion in the Psychics & Mediums forum, the two threads mentioned above should comfortably handle the bulk of related discussion.

Thoughts? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I would say a new thread for asking for contact details but also have the tag so people can discuss topics related to it that aren't about asking for contact details is the best way to go, the board doesn't get a massive amount of traffic.

Ziycon wrote: »
    I would say a new thread for asking for contact details but also have the tag so people can discuss topics related to it that aren't about asking for contact details.

Covered by points 2 & 3 above :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement