Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet

Options
  • 29-10-2015 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

After trying a vegan diet for a month some time back, I think I'm ready to hit it again- but preferably for good this time.

When I tried the vegan diet previously, I lost a lot of muscle. In hindsight I don't think I was eating enough at all and was only doing cardio with no resistance training. This continuous significant caloric deficit resulted in many sleepless nights, weak, groggy mornings and general lack of energy.

Apparently it's very possible to build lean muscle on a vegan diet- one needs to keep his/ her calories in check and not be too far off hitting his/ her macros (high carb., low fat). Now I wouldn't consider myself to be a bodybuilder and I'm not looking for massive gains. I'd simply like to have nice lean muscle all round and get down to around 10% body fat (or lower depending on how I feel at that stage).

I've done a fair bit of research (Youtube and other) and I'm nearly certain I'd like to go vegan again. However, I still have some concerns. These are as follows:

1) Protein and Calories. I'm going to aim for around 0.8- 1g of protein/ pound of body weight and I believe this is quite achievable on a plant based diet. Should I be aiming for the same total calorie goal as I was aiming for when eating non- veg? I practice many different forms of cardio on a regular basis. Considering this, what should I do/ avoid in and out of the gym to ensure muscle growth and prevent muscle loss :P Being very anal here I know. Just can't afford any more muscle loss again!

2) Deficiencies. B12 and omega 3's come to mind. Would daily multivitamin tablets and supplements suffice? I've read quite a few people complaining of hair loss after years of turning vegan. If they weren't already genetically predisposed, the only other cause that seems reasonable is deficiencies of some sort. Can anyone comment on this?

Apart from my mistake of not getting enough calories during the last attempt, I noticed many other fantastic benefits. As such, ideally I'd like to take this lifestyle on for good. However, this would make little sense if I continue to lose muscle/ strength and/ or become deficient in B12/ iron etc. I just want to make sure I have all the info this time around, hence the analness :)

I will most definitely think of other questions to put to you vegans of boards. Until then, this will do!

Edit: Just thinking, the fact that B12 is super essential for humans, and a vegan diet without supplementation will result in problems, does this in some way apply that humans are naturally meant to eat at least some small amounts of non-veg sources of B12?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Heya, I am starting weightlifting too so am interested in it also. I go to the gym 5 times per week and energy is definitely not a problem. Calorie aims should be the same, if you want to build muscle you are going to want to have a small calorie excess to do it fastest. I really don't think you need 1g per lb but if that is your aim fair enough! I do cardio too and they are a bit counterproductive as in cardio will be making you need more calories so you will need to eat more. As for what to eat when vegan, this bodybuilder went vegan recently.

I also recommend reading this forum for other vegans, it is a great resource.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/veganfitness

I have no idea why people would be losing hair but eating properly you will be completely healthy. I imagine the hair loss thing is nonsense.
    B12 you will need to either supplement or take in enough fortified foods. I supplement three things, B12 (solgar 1000mg), omega 3 and vitamin D. I get the latter two from http://www.vegetology.com/collections/products
    As for B12 I was taking too much supplements and have had to stop, so a tablet every few days of this would be fine: http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Vitamin-B12-1000-mcg-250-Nuggets/8641 So taht is like 2 years supply for 20 dollars, not including things like soy milk etc which have it fortified.

As for natural, there is no such thing as natural meaning anything any more, eat what is healthy. B12 comes from bacteria, this was on food in humans history as it wasn't washed off. With all our cleaning standards now there is no way you'd be getting any B12 from veg. But anyway, natural as a word is pretty much pointless in this day and age so don't worry about. Not to mention it is recommended for everybody over 50 to supplement B12 anyway as many people can't absorb enough from their diet any more. Happy to answer any questions, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IWJ

Ya I checked out the same Youtuber couple days back. Have you noticed any increase in gains?

The reason I don't want to eat excess calories is because I don't want to put on any more fat. That's it really.

Other than that I think I'm gonna go for it anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well before I worked out I had no muscles, now I have some muscles so yes :P
    You can put on muscle on a calorie deficit of course, it''s just harder. By excess it should only be a couple hundred calories and since you are working out it should be turned into muscle
    If you are not eating enough calories protein is turned into energy instead of muscle.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

B12 - Alpro soya and coconut "milk" are fortified with it
    Omega 3 - My bread is Burgen soya and linseed sliced pan from tesco which is delicious and doesnt go off quickly either. they say 2 slices provides your daily intake. There is also milled linseed in packets which can be sprinled on brekkie.

In have been a vegetarian for 2 yrs now and seem to be doing fine (havent had as much as a cold in that time). I dont watch or monitor my intakes very much but I must be doing okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

IWJ wrote: »
    Ya I checked out the same Youtuber couple days back. Have you noticed any increase in gains?
    Speaking of gains there is really helpful -and entertaining -youtuber known as Vegan Gains.

His Videos are very informative and aimed at building muscle on a plant based diet. He also tackles lots of the myths and assumptions around vegan strength, and tears into the popular weight lifting you tubers who spout rubbish, sell supplements, cram in the whey, cretin, eggs and bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

human 19 wrote: »
    B12 - Alpro soya and coconut "milk" are fortified with it
    Omega 3 - My bread is Burgen soya and linseed sliced pan from tesco which is delicious and doesnt go off quickly either. they say 2 slices provides your daily intake. There is also milled linseed in packets which can be sprinled on brekkie.

In have been a vegetarian for 2 yrs now and seem to be doing fine (havent had as much as a cold in that time). I dont watch or monitor my intakes very much but I must be doing okay.

They're fortified with cyanocobalamin the same as a lot of popular breakfast cereals. It's the methylcobalamin or adeno B12 that you need for proper absorption. Also the tests that most doctors will give you are not an accurate indication of your B12 status.

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/methylcobalamin-b12.html

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vitamin-b-12-levels.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Speaking of gains there is really helpful -and entertaining -youtuber known as Vegan Gains.

His Videos are very informative and aimed at building muscle on a plant based diet. He also tackles lots of the myths and assumptions around vegan strength, and tears into the popular weight lifting you tubers who spout rubbish, sell supplements, cram in the whey, cretin, eggs and bacon.

Vegan gains is an absolute pest and his videos are 90% pure nonsense with rubbish studies used as evidence, with 10% informative information. He's established himself as a pure troll and only takes on other yourubers to get views. I've no problem with vegans who want to advocate for vegan bodybuilders etc. but vegan gains is probably the worst example of a vegan youtuber you can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

Vegan gains is an absolute pest and his videos are 90% pure nonsense with rubbish studies used as evidence, with 10% informative information

Why's that? Some examples. Seems to me he puts it up to the unrealistic and overly sold plans that other youtuber try to sell out. Also giving the damage we know eating animals or their secretions does to our health, isn't he right to object to those in weight lifting community endorsing smashing in the eggs/red meat/ dairy regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Why's that? Some examples. Seems to me he puts it up to the unrealistic and overly sold plans that other youtuber try to sell out. Also giving the damage we know eating animals or their secretions does to our health, isn't he right to object to those in weight lifting community endorsing smashing in the eggs/red meat/ dairy regardless?

Anyone who likes to joke about someone getting cancer or someone dying in an accident is a scumbag and should be seen as such.

He's repeatedly talked about his hate for non-vegans, his inability to feel basic emotions, such as when his grandfather died, and honestly he comes across as either a complete psychopath when he discussed his vasectomy and talked about bashing a child's head in (or something along those lines) or else he's a complete troll; most likely the latter.

That and he's also a curlbro who's trained for 8 years apparently and still can't bench 100kg.

Even if you're a vegan, he's definitely someone you shouldn't take fitness advice from.

Advertisement