Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self employed, first year. Paying accountant 250 per year. What should I expect?

Options
  • 28-10-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I am in my first year of businness and paying my accountant 250 per year.
    My question is, what should I expect for this price in your opinion and experience?

I am so new to this I really have no idea what needs done, what I should expect absolutely to recieve every year. Do I even need to recieve anything?

ANY advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

briscotti wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I am in my first year of businness and paying my accountant 250 per year.
    My question is, what should I expect for this price in your opinion and experience?

I am so new to this I really have no idea what needs done, what I should expect absolutely to recieve every year. Do I even need to recieve anything?

ANY advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

You should expect them to be able to tell you what they're providing you with for your €250!! As with any other provider of goods/services.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

You should expect them to be able to tell you what they're providing you with for your €250!! As with any other provider of goods/services.

For €250, it won't be an awful lot :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Agreed, OP what are you expecting them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

For 250 I would complete an IT return based on figures the client provided. I wouldn't prepare accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

Its a reduced rate usually 300 / 350 I think
    Aye he's told me what it gives but I have nothing to gauge this on so he could literally be making anything up and I wouldn't know - was just wondering what other people would think - glad to hear in a way that I shouldn't be expecting too much because that's what i'm getting!

Thanks all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Very, very little for 250. That would not at all even cover a contribution to PI or any run off cover. Seriously, the guy must be a complete idiot.

Ballpark, expect to pay 1,500 minimum for any decent accountant services. Anything not worth 1,500 is wasting your time and the accountants. Yes there are those who will take the dregs and do very basic IT returns for 500 or so, invest in the relationship and what have you, but 250 is absolutely insane. Id love to hear what you are getting from that. If you got any more than 2 hours of his time over the year, you need to put this in bargain alerts as it is the bargain of the year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Sadly I have come across unqualifieds who are doing it for less. Numbers in boxes approach!

Advertisement