Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to find salvaged cardboard

Options
  • 28-10-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, my wife is working on an art/craft project which involves (re)using big cardboard sheets. I am talking about at least 3X5 feet.
    Any idea where we could find any? Even better, do you own/work in a place where you throw away big cardboard sheets/boxes?
    Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been on a similar hunt in the past. Most firms deliver goods in the cardboard boxes so the customer has to get rid of it themselves. Others that do have a lot of card tend to bale it pretty fast consequently it gets damaged. One of the best sources of board is the very large tv sets, very strong multiple ply card, office computer equipment (like servers) and fridges. Fridge boxes are not always very good quality though. Furniture boxes tend to be very poor quality card.

Do you have a recycling centre near you where you are allowed to go and search a bit? Ours you can go to but some do not allow it. You can ask in electrical stores, but generally its hard to get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

not sure where you are based but have a look at recreate.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Last time I needed a large cardboard box I managed to get to my local electrical store before they had done the baling. You can be lucky and get a kind member of staff who will oblige, but yes, they bale pretty quickly.

gardoyle27 wrote: »
    not sure where you are based but have a look at recreate.ie

I'm not likely to venture as far as Dublin but recreate looks like a brilliant idea!

Why haven't I heard of Recreate before? I'll be popping in there in the next few days. Yippee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

the only reason i know of them is because i work around the corner from them seems like a good business. always people coming and going from the place

Can't work it out though. Do you have to become a member to buy stuff? (Sorry OP for going off track here on your thread)

Its a bit more complicated than just going in to buy stuff, by the looks of things. It appears that some materials are free to members but some may be charged for. Membership seems to start at €100 but there are lots of conditions - see membership form http://recreate.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Membership-Form-ReCreate-2015.pdf

Crikey, €100! Maybe I won't be visiting then. Oh, by the way, I just broke one side of my favourite card box box, so I'm off to the electrical shop again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

lupo wrote: »
    Hi all, my wife is working on an art/craft project which involves (re)using big cardboard sheets. I am talking about at least 3X5 feet.
    Any idea where we could find any? Even better, do you own/work in a place where you throw away big cardboard sheets/boxes?
    Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!
    I have 2 fibre board sheets 3mm that size if that might work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement