Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray Lacquer Can

Options
  • 28-10-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

I looking for a can of clear spray lacquer for wood. Can't seem to find a supplier in Ireland. Would anybody have any ideas? I don't want to use polyurethane and don't have a compressor/spray gun. Its for a small teak box

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Halycon wrote: »
    Hi,

I looking for a can of clear spray lacquer for wood. Can't seem to find a supplier in Ireland. Would anybody have any ideas? I don't want to use polyurethane and don't have a compressor/spray gun. Its for a small teak box

Thanks

The best range is by the British firm 'Chestnut' They offer acrylic and cellulose sealers and topcoats. I find their melamine spray the best and the toughest finish.
    Trouble is they have been impossible to get over here but they are demonstrating at the Carpentry store in Naas on Nov 5/6 - a chance to stock up. As the cans retail at about 8 euro each they are pretty economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Thanks Repico,

Unfortunately I am in Cork and busy that weekend. I did find that brand for sale on Axminster, but the postage is bit much for just a can. I will see if I can justify anything else on that site.

Thanks again

**Nevermind they won't ship here**

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

recipio wrote: »
    The best range is by the British firm 'Chestnut' They offer acrylic and cellulose sealers and topcoats. I find their melamine spray the best and the toughest finish.
    Trouble is they have been impossible to get over here but they are demonstrating at the Carpentry store in Naas on Nov 5/6 - a chance to stock up. As the cans retail at about 8 euro each they are pretty economical.
    WH Raitt in Donegal have a good range of Chestnut stuff.

https://www.whraitt.ie/cat/finishes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have used the lacquer from Halfords on a few projects and they came out ok.

10485529_10201421069727033_3032412918718923070_n.jpg?oh=5eac77e917cd72cd10e8d594f7f949e4&oe=56D36883

10600404_10201421068847011_8926089435294278001_n.jpg?oh=9669bcd7e70f5063025802150a49e251&oe=56BEF14A

20151016_160931_zps8n1rtsst.jpg

The WH Raitt may be an option.
    Fergal, did you do anything different with the Halfords Lacquer? Love the nautical toilet seat by the way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

No just fine sand,wipe down and spray on, it takes a few coats to build up but it will dry quick so you can do them in one day.

12106764_10203480607134181_4840499166552382570_n.jpg?oh=f19b09a240df5109cfb1807c249e5a3b&oe=5684D7A8

Thanks, I will pop into Halfords this weekend so . I am gonna try Steve Ramseys method. He always seems to go for the simplest option.

It would be better to use a sanding sealer first - I think it gives a more durable finish.
    Forget tack cloths - they can leave a waxy residue on the wood. If you have access to compressed air nothing is better for lifting dust out of the wood grain - even the stuff you can't see.
    I'm experimenting with Woodoc, another product not available in this country afaik. I see they will have a stand in Naas nest week so I'll quizz them about it.

Hi recipio,

I got a can of car acrylic spray lacquer last night that says it can be used on wood. I am going to experiment with a scrap piece over the weekend to see if its suitable. It was only 8 so if it's crap then I am not out too much. I will then go for sanding sealer and the chestnut stuff from whraitt that Alun mentioned.

I'm half thinking of getting the compressor kit the next time its in Lidl. Seems like there are infinite uses for it. Only problem is the floor space needed and the noise when its filling. I saw some cans of compressed air the 2 shop lately so that will do for the time being.

Halycon wrote: »
    Hi recipio,

I got a can of car acrylic spray lacquer last night that says it can be used on wood. I am going to experiment with a scrap piece over the weekend to see if its suitable. It was only 8 so if it's crap then I am not out too much. I will then go for sanding sealer and the chestnut stuff from whraitt that Alun mentioned.

I'm half thinking of getting the compressor kit the next time its in Lidl. Seems like there are infinite uses for it. Only problem is the floor space needed and the noise when its filling. I saw some cans of compressed air the 2 shop lately so that will do for the time being.

Good stuff. I have got the Chestnut cans off Stan ( who posts on here ;) ) in Raitts but he tends to order them in for you. You can certainly use automotive lacquer on wood - I just don't know how durable it would be.
    A small compressor is invaluable - I never finish wood with giving it a blast.
    Ideally we should have a dedicated spray booth as the cans get a bit pricey for bigger furniture but that's another story.

• Advertisement

I've only been messing about with wood for a year or so, but I accumulated a massive wish list of equipment. I keep having to ask myself if I really need it!
    Especially when you watch things like Paul Sellers videos.

Anyway, I will post some photos of the finished object if anyone is interested later.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

www.whraitt.ie is also a good source for finishes I find. Very fast delivery too.

Advertisement