Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting issue in our rented apartment

Options
  • 28-10-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

ok so the thing is the following:

we have this light-system in our kitchen with these thin long (approx. 30 cm), tube-like bulbs that are under the wallmounted kitchen cabinet. we have 2 of them, where the first is connected to power, and second one is connected to the first one.

the first one broke, the bulb doesnt work anymore. however the second one (which is connected to the first one) is still working.

i bought one of these bulbs at woodies, but it doesnt work, leading me to assume that something in the base broke. the bases however are like 30€.

question: is that in the scope of the renting agency to replace? they told us they dont get these bulbs anymore (although the bulb i bought fitted just fine), an i'm not sure if i should write them again to get us a replacement for the bulbs. cooking is getting difficult these days with that light missing and the days getting darker.

i'm kinda hesitant to write to them again, we have a good relationship with the agency, but this is getting kinda annoying.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There is generally a fuse on these somewhere, little round screw out type job. I would imagine that needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Are the florescent bulbs? if so they usually have little starters which often wear out. looks for a little circular thing which you can twist out swap the starter from the working light with the broken one to check if that's the issue.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

murfilein wrote: »
    an i'm not sure if i should write them again to get us a replacement for the bulbs.

Ahh, you got a replacement bulb, and that didn't fix the problem.

So I don't think that another replacement bulb will make a difference.

You need to tell them that you've tried changing the bulb and it didn't help, and so ask them to fix the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

oh i'm actually aware of these starters! i just didnt think of checking for these in out kitchen, haha.

how much do they cost? if its a couple euro or so, i'll just do it myself. i have to check for the starter though when i'm home.

not sure how its handled in ireland, but in my home country germany, if you have a "small" problem, you just fix it yourself. i dont want to bother the agency if its something cheap and easy to fix myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4Marie

Try the new bulb on the working light and see if it fits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Call Eurosales in Glasnevin or Ringsend. They are an importer/distributor for a lot of these items. They will tell you what to do next to get them working. I imagine they could sold those bulbs for 3/4 euro max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

murfilein wrote: »
    oh i'm actually aware of these starters! i just didnt think of checking for these in out kitchen, haha.

how much do they cost? if its a couple euro or so, i'll just do it myself. i have to check for the starter though when i'm home.

not sure how its handled in ireland, but in my home country germany, if you have a "small" problem, you just fix it yourself. i dont want to bother the agency if its something cheap and easy to fix myself.

Starters are cheap. You may have to take out the bulb again in order to access the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

OK, unfortunately there is no starter.

This is the base: http://i.imgur.com/moUrUaw.jpg

This is the bulb: http://i.imgur.com/2FBFiLR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Call Eurosales in Glasnevin or Ringsend. They are an importer/distributor for a lot of these items. They will tell you what to do next to get them working. I imagine they could sold those bulbs for 3/4 euro max.

These guys are good value and v helpful. they also have a place in Sandyford afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Try swapping the lightbulbs. The currently working bulb into the own that isn't working and the new bulb into the light that is fine. This will let you know if the problem is with the bulb or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Thats a fluro, and there is definitely a starter in there somewhere.

You don't sound like you have a great grasp of how it all works, so I'd report it to LL or management co. let them know you've tried changing the bulb out and still no action.

From memory some fittings do have starters in weird and wacky places,

Advertisement