Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon D3200 Lenses

Options
  • 28-10-2015 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

I have this Camera a while now but i find the lens in very limited in the Zoom department. I d like a lens that will still give me good quality, stable, clear images but be able to zoom in on objects from far. I found a link with recommendations. One that caught my eye was the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6
    Anyone use or know are any of these any good?
    I'm an amateur at this so looking for feedback before i purchase one, oh and i don't want to spend a shed load of money :)

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-lenses-nikon-d3200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

What do you want to photograph? Do you, or will you, use a tripod? What is your maximum budget?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

That lens is quite slow, then at a low budget they will all be quite slow. I do own Sigma lenses but most are Nikon. The Sigma glass is good but generally the build quality of the Nikon are a bit better, and a lot better when you get into pro glass. The Nikon 55-300 above the Sigma on that site may be a better buy as it has VR. When you are shooting with long focal lengths with slow glass having VR can make a big difference.

What photography are you doing that needs the longer lens? From my experience, unless someone is into specialty photography like Sports or Wildlife, the longer the lens the less it's used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

CabanSail wrote: »
    That lens is quite slow, then at a low budget they will all be quite slow. I do own Sigma lenses but most are Nikon. The Sigma glass is good but generally the build quality of the Nikon are a bit better, and a lot better when you get into pro glass. The Nikon 55-300 above the Sigma on that site may be a better buy as it has VR. When you are shooting with long focal lengths with slow glass having VR can make a big difference.

What photography are you doing that needs the longer lens? From my experience, unless someone is into specialty photography like Sports or Wildlife, the longer the lens the less it's used.

Thanks for that. really helpful. I'm not really aiming for a 'type' of photography yet as im really just experimenting at the moment but i feel the lens that comes with the D3200, the zoom isn't great and can miss out on some good shots. If i had to say now, i take a good few scenery shots as im just playing with the settings, getting myself familiar with camera and how all settings work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are drawn to landscape images maybe consider a wide lens. Wait until you hit a limitation. There is plenty of scope to explore with just a kit lens to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

/hard to give You any advices if You don't know what kind of focal lenght are You using.

• Advertisement
Advertisement